Legendary Skills?

bigbear.

Okay, most of you have probably seen the patch news by now.

(If you haven't here is a link to the news article: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-14277-Elder-Scrolls-V--Skyrim--Legendary--Update-Coming-Later-This-Month.html )

As part of the "Legendary" patch there will be a system put in place where you can make a skill "legendary" and set it back down to 15 (from 100). Your perks get taken out of this skill and (I guess) can be reassigned.

Essentially this eliminates the leveling cap.

So, who cares?

Honestly, once you're at the level cap and have good gear your Health, Stamina and Magicka don't matter at all. Unless you're going pure mage and limiting your gear to robes and stuff.

Is anyone actually going to make use of this as anything other then an opportunity to re-spec (without having to do the Dragonborn stuff)?

On the other hand, the Legendary difficulty setting sounds like a lot of fun! Maybe a current gen Elder Scrolls game will actually be challenging for once!

Edited by bigbear.

By the sounds of it I think you can earn more perk points in the process. So in theory you can have every perk which I'm all for. But to be honest I'll just keep going legendary on smithing, enchanting, alchemy to max out on perks quicker.

In theory.

I am wondering if you'll be able to re-reset a skill though, legendary skills wouldn't be very helpful for leveling up in the higher levels where leveling takes forever.

I am also interested in this "Legendary" difficulty, hopefully it does more than modify damage multipliers.

Very exciting news. Apparently the update isn't live yet, this is my theory for now:

When a skill reaches 100, you have the option to turn the skill 'Legendary'. Think 'Prestige' like COD games. Only you can only 'Legendary' a skill once! Once a skill is marked legendary, it drops back down to 15, all points invested into said skill are put back in the players skill pool for reallocating, and you can begin building that skill back to 100.

As you progress the skill, you will gain more regular experience towards your overall character level which will unlock new levels and Additional skill points.

Keep in mind, at higher character level it takes more individual skill progress to level up overall. I also believe that you will only be able to Legendary each skill once. Soooo if you are level 81, maxed out, and reset all skills to legendary, ultimately recap all skills at Legendary 100, I believe you will only obtain enough extra xp to reach character lvl 100, thus adding an additional 19 skill points to allocate before you are maxed out again.

Of course, i could be wrong and the extra xp could push way beyond character lvl 100 +that many additional points. It just would seem like a perfect number to max out at, and if they scaled it correctly and playtested it for the last x months, it would make sense that it works this way.

Anyways, that is my hope. Thank you anyone who took the time to read that. Can't wait to see how it finally works! Please update us once someone has concrete info & or a working version

Just found this:

"From GStaff (Administrator on Bethsoft forums).

When you hit 100, you can make the skill Legendary. This is denoted on the menu by an Imperial logo (see screenshot). When you've done this, the skill is reset to 15 and you are allowed to redistribute your perks to whatever skill you want*. This allows you to try out perks you wouldn't have been able to before with levels essentially capping at 81. And since you can make skills Legendary multiple times over, you can continue to level up in the game to your heart's content.

*Note that you'll still need to attain the acquired Skill level for specific perks. For instance, if you made One-Handed legendary, you wouldn't be able to reattain the Bladesman perk until you reached level 30."

Still very exciting and kind of kills my theory but good to have a solid response !

And since you can make skills Legendary multiple times over, you can continue to level up in the game to your heart's content.

So basically the level cap will be infinite as long as you have the patience to continue to level up these skills.

It's a cool feature they are adding in and I'm glad there is a way to gain more perks, but until there is more DLC I'm probably not going to bother leveling up my character past her current level of 81.

I so love this game that I can't stop levelling my abilities; I'm almost 100 in everything and I was hoping to re-do it again but now it's true and we will be able to get all of the game perks in the process.....Thanks Bethesda you are awesome !

I would be cool (to me) if there was an achievement for doing all the perks legendary in one of the future DLC's BUT I know everybody else would be angry as hell if that was to happen.

Of course, I'm far from finishing the first 3 DLC's (even the main story) and this will keep my fun until I finish everything in this game.

Now, I want the next DLC soon because I don't wanna wait until fall for the last piece of DLC.

Edited by ron north

Interesting stuff...

I would like to see some things related to Legendary Skills. Like a whole bunch of weapons & armors you could only craft with an appropriate legendary skill (after you raised it back up). Maybe some perks only obtainable once you have a legendary skill.

As it stands, I am kind of...meh. However, I am still glad to see them improving upon the game!

Yeah, the Legendary update sounds pretty cool. I have never had a character reach level 81, but I'd imagine doing so would be easier now with skills being able to be 'prestiged' (CoD-term I know)...

What has got me really excited about the update however (despite my little hope that there would be spears as soon as I saw the link on the main page, which is now obviously dashed :p), was the fix for Esbern's potion - the The Dragon Infusion perk thing.

I had completely given up hope of it being fixed and moved on from it, but only so far as ***SPOILER ALERT*** trapping that dragon in Whiterun. ***END OF SPOILER ALERT*** So I hope the quest and bonus is salvagable.

Legendary skills are right up my alley. When I first started playing skyrim, I wanted to create a character that could switch from being a Mage, to a Warrior, to a Thief, and be equally competent at all of them. I thought that it may be possible because of the way the skill system worked, but was quickly proven wrong. Being abale to re-spec in Dragonborn was a cool addition, and after that, I was hoping they would add in a use for excess Dragon Souls that allowed you to use them for extra perks.

Being able to reset skills while retaining the perks and leveling up more is just fine for me. One thing some people are forgetting is that this means you'll be able to add even more points toward Health/Magicka/Stamina as well.

I guess the other question is:

How many people are going to sit there for like an entire day or two using the Oghma Infinium glitch to make themselves level 100000000 (exaggeration...maybe...)?

Actually I didn't read all the patch notes so they may be patching the Infinium glitch...I would if I were introducing this system...

If they haven't fixed the glitch I'll probably use it to level until I can get every single perk in the game.

Edited by bigbear.

I guess the other question is:

How many people are going to sit there for like an entire day or two using the Oghma Infinium glitch to make themselves level 100000000 (exaggeration...maybe...)?

Actually I didn't read all the patch notes so they may be patching the Infinium glitch...I would if I were introducing this system...

If they haven't fixed the glitch I'll probably use it to level until I can get every single perk in the game.

The Infinium glitch will be fixed in the patch.

Legendary skills are right up my alley. When I first started playing skyrim, I wanted to create a character that could switch from being a Mage, to a Warrior, to a Thief, and be equally competent at all of them. I thought that it may be possible because of the way the skill system worked, but was quickly proven wrong. Being abale to re-spec in Dragonborn was a cool addition, and after that, I was hoping they would add in a use for excess Dragon Souls that allowed you to use them for extra perks.

Being able to reset skills while retaining the perks and leveling up more is just fine for me. One thing some people are forgetting is that this means you'll be able to add even more points toward Health/Magicka/Stamina as well.

So does this mean, eventually a person with enough health. Can deliberately attack any Greybeard's and survive? Cus thats the first thing that popped in my mind. After reading about this update.

Yeah, I just read that in the patch notes. Meh. I probably won't be using the legendary skills then. My main character is already god like between his armor and his abilities.

It's god like on normal mode pal, i don't think it will be that good on legendary mode :(

Leveling is going to take even longer than forever past 81, good thing there are several ways to power level :D

Didn't somebody figure out how to duplicate the actual Oghma book by giving himself Carpal Tunnel?

It's god like on normal mode pal, i don't think it will be that good on legendary mode :(

Still have no idea what Legendary Mode has to offer.

Edited by Cann0nSen5ei

Leveling is going to take even longer than forever past 81, good thing there are several ways to power level :D

Didn't somebody figure out how to duplicate the actual Oghma book by giving himself Carpal Tunnel?......

Nah they were probably put in intentionally by designers to make testing easier and then beta testers were told or found them and didn't report new ones. Same as every other game, especially mmo's.

I think I'm missing something. So if I legendary my combat skills I get my perks back... cool. I can now be a mage. Now I level up my combat skills again, earning new perks.

Won't this break even? What am I missing?

Lets say you currently have 10 perks in...smithing (just making up numbers here). You reset it back to 15 getting all of those perk points back. You can put those 10 perks into anything you want.

So you put 5 of those into perks into 1-Hand. You save the other 5 to put back into smithing when you meet the requirements.

Then you level your smithing back up to 100 gaining...Lets say 5 levels (I honestly don't know who many it would actually be).

You combine those 5 new perk points with the 5 you saved and you get back the original 10 perks you had in smithing. Plus you now have 5 you didn't have in 1-Hand

So, no. It doesn't even out. Even if the leveling doesn't even out like in my example you will always end up with more perks then when you started once you level back up whatever you reset. The perks will just be distributed differently.

The only thing that makes this strange is that if you reset a skill to 15 , and want to take it back to 100, would this even be possible if there are no quests left. I mean there are not many quests when you have completed almost all content in game.

Beating up legendary dragons to gain XP is not fun any more at high level.

Also if you reset lets say your heavy armor skill to 15 does that mean you no longer have any of the perks. So your 350 Armor drops back to 150 or what ever it was before the increases.

The only thing that makes this strange is that if you reset a skill to 15 , and want to take it back to 100, would this even be possible if there are no quests left. I mean there are not many quests when you have completed almost all content in game.

Beating up legendary dragons to gain XP is not fun any more at high level.

Also if you reset lets say your heavy armor skill to 15 does that mean you no longer have any of the perks. So your 350 Armor drops back to 150 or what ever it was before the increases.

Why do you have to be questing to grind enemies? The dungeons all respawn, so you can revisit them to level up your skills again.

Why do you have to be questing to grind enemies? The dungeons all respawn, so you can revisit them to level up your skills again.

I would personally find that boring hitting the same cave for the 5th time just to gain skills. The main bosses don't respawn to the best of my knowledge.

Since I have racked up close to 700 hours thru 5 or more characters and on both PS3 and X-Box, doing the same cave another time just for points , seems pointless. (Maybe I should install the PC version to finally start that so can say that I played all platforms)

Don't get me wrong I enjoy Skyrim (why else 700+ hours) , but it needs to have new content, which I understand is coming....

I hope the enemies continue to continue to level up otherwise it will be 1 swing of sword and next....