Cant play DLC offline!!!!!!

Cortanas Web

Considering this is a single player game and not a multiplayer why is it you cant play this DLC offline? my dad has an Xbox and this game but doesn't have internet at home, he brought his Xbox to us to download the DLC as his addicted to the game and he gets home and finds that he cant even play it!!! what the hell is that all about i could understand if it was a multiplayer but its not! please tell me your going to patch this and all the other problems as this is ridiculous

It's not that the DLC requires you to be online, there's a license issue somewhere. Did he buy the DLC with his own account, or did you download it with your profile?

If he bought it, did he buy it from his Xbox or did he do it from yours and then move it via USB? If so that's the problem, he'll need to do a license transfer and then redownload the DLC straight to his Xbox. If you downloaded the DLC with your profile, he's not going to be able to use it period.

the DLC was downloaded on his harddrive, and we've already tried redownloading it with his harddrive in his machine and it still doesnt work, tis rather annoying. it was all done under his profile i wont play the game lol not my cup of tea gimme Halo anyday lol

Let me pick this apart and answer best I can based on the information you have given.

You stated that the DLC was originally downloaded to his Harddrive correct?

1: Was the harddrive in his original Xbox360 the first time you downloaded it to the harddrive? If you download DLC onto a harddrive that is not in the original Xbox360 then you have a license problem when attempting to play it from the original Xbox360 online or offline. Most DLC is given a license to the original console not harddrive, to play on.

2: Redownloading the DLC will not fix this problem as the DLC has already been licensed for a different console, not the harddrive. The only way to fix an issue such as this is to use the license transfer tools on the Xbox website or through 1-800-4MY-XBOX, However they may not be able to fix this issue as this is meant for when upgrading or replacing a broken Xbox360.

3: Even if the DLC is under someones profile, it makes no difference when trying to play it on a different console if you are not online with the original console.

Let me pick this apart and answer best I can based on the information you have given.

You stated that the DLC was originally downloaded to his Harddrive correct?

1: Was the harddrive in his original Xbox360 the first time you downloaded it to the harddrive? If you download DLC onto a harddrive that is not in the original Xbox360 then you have a license problem when attempting to play it from the original Xbox360 online or offline. Most DLC is given a license to the original console not harddrive, to play on.

2: Redownloading the DLC will not fix this problem as the DLC has already been licensed for a different console, not the harddrive. The only way to fix an issue such as this is to use the license transfer tools on the Xbox website or through 1-800-4MY-XBOX, However they may not be able to fix this issue as this is meant for when upgrading or replacing a broken Xbox360.

3: Even if the DLC is under someones profile, it makes no difference when trying to play it on a different console if you are not online with the original console.

There might also be a problem in that playing Hearthfire (and Dawnguard probably) might require the latest Main Title Updates. If he didn't load up Skyrim while connected to the internet and dl/install these main title updates then he may not be able to play Hearthfire and Dawnguard. Which also means that if he does do this and then clears his system cache he will have to go somewhere and re-download the title updates to play the DLC.

There might also be a problem in that playing Hearthfire (and Dawnguard probably) might require the latest Main Title Updates. If he didn't load up Skyrim while connected to the internet and dl/install these main title updates then he may not be able to play Hearthfire and Dawnguard. Which also means that if he does do this and then clears his system cache he will have to go somewhere and re-download the title updates to play the DLC.

I never thought of that, That may be an issue.

I have a few arcade games that won't play offline, so I can see some DLC doing the same thing. I'm not surprised.

Which ones are those?

The simplist solution to see if it is the DLC is try and play it offline for those who have it, I can't atm.

Edited by XBM Yosho

I never thought of that, That may be an issue.

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of testing it to see if its likely. I mean, they purposely released a main title update right before Dawnguard, in preparation for Dawnguard (horse combat etc...) I think it is highly likely that you can't play the DLC without title updates like that.

I think I may go clear my cache then load up Skyrim with my wireless disconnected and see if it lets me play Dawnguard or Hearthfire...

On second thought though...I'm afraid I'll glitch the already glitchy game even more...

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of testing it to see if its likely. I mean, they purposely released a main title update right before Dawnguard, in preparation for Dawnguard (horse combat etc...) I think it is highly likely that you can't play the DLC without title updates like that.

I think I may go clear my cache then load up Skyrim with my wireless disconnected and see if it lets me play Dawnguard or Hearthfire...

On second thought though...I'm afraid I'll glitch the already glitchy game even more...

If you glitch it, Just Oghma Infinium back to 81 lolololol...

yes the harddrive was in my partners xbox at the time when he downloaded it, but what i dont get now from what ive read here is if its a licence issue then how comes he can play dawnguard no problem whilst being offline but not hearth? and his currently playing off his harddrive on my console which again is not the orginal console it was downloaded on but his having no problems playing hearth DLC at the sec! now if we turn our router off for a moment and go into his add ons in the main menu on any console, mine, my partners, or my dads the only DLC that shows is dawnguard, hearth just aint there! now when we turn the router back on and reconnect to the net again on any of the consoles and again go to check the add-ons boom theres both dawnguard and hearth. i dont see it being a licence issue when its doing the same thing on 3 different consoles including the original it was downloaded on! i think xbox are just taking the mickey with it

This has been a huge old complaint for me , IE: i have red dead redemption and undead nightmare all digital downloaded "no disc" and can play them offline, then 20 out of my 30 arcade games won't as well as TLAD/TBOGT...all where bought by me and on this console...Microsoft has no reason why, so i gave up.....

yes the harddrive was in my partners xbox at the time when he downloaded it, but what i dont get now from what ive read here is if its a licence issue then how comes he can play dawnguard no problem whilst being offline but not hearth? and his currently playing off his harddrive on my console which again is not the orginal console it was downloaded on but his having no problems playing hearth DLC at the sec! now if we turn our router off for a moment and go into his add ons in the main menu on any console, mine, my partners, or my dads the only DLC that shows is dawnguard, hearth just aint there! now when we turn the router back on and reconnect to the net again on any of the consoles and again go to check the add-ons boom theres both dawnguard and hearth. i dont see it being a licence issue when its doing the same thing on 3 different consoles including the original it was downloaded on! i think xbox are just taking the mickey with it

Sounds like your dad downloaded it to a different xbox to me. Are you certain the one he used to get it in the first place is the exact one he is attempting to play it on offline.

Xbox DLC licensing is two fold. Console serial number and screen name. If you purchase it with one console as one user it will work online or offline. If you later go to a friends with your gamer tag and from their box download the dlc. It will work aslong as you are online with your gamertag. When you go offline it cant verify you are you and it wont work.

This becomes problematic when you red ring and get a replacement xbox. Microsoft is suppose to transfer the licensing to the new serial number but sometimes they dont. You are allowed one transfer a year on xbox.com.

I recommend he do that with the console he intends to play it on. then redownload it from that console with his gamertag all plugged into your router. This should associate the dlc with his serial number and gamertag.

However he may now need to redownload every game/content/demo hes ever downloaded to get the new association.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Considering this is a single player game and not a multiplayer why is it you cant play this DLC offline? my dad has an Xbox and this game but doesn't have internet at home, he brought his Xbox to us to download the DLC as his addicted to the game and he gets home and finds that he cant even play it!!! what the hell is that all about i could understand if it was a multiplayer but its not! please tell me your going to patch this and all the other problems as this is ridiculous

You probably should re activate again