Does this game suck?

TRAGICTRIXIE

• 3 weeks later...

It very much depends on how you define "suck." If you don't like hack&slash games, then don't bother. If graphics matter more than gameplay, don't bother. If you, like me, like/love playing the occasional hack&slash, I would at least recommend a rent to see if you like it.

Now, the voice acting isn't the best, nor are the graphics. The lip sync is off and some effects come in late (sparks from clashing swords come a second late in the intro video for example), and the story isn't all that great - but then again, this is an action-driven game.

Now, a lot of the complaints I've seen this game get, such as the weapons dropped by dead enemies disappearing and your companion (if you play solo) not reacting to help you, I haven't seen myself. Maybe there was some changes done to the NA release which messed it up, but as a European player, I haven't had any troubles yet.

Obviously this isn't a mainstream game. Reviewers are tearing it a new asshole, but personally I'm glad I didn't listen to them. I find it quite enjoyable so far. There is a wide variety of weapons and combos, and although it can get repetitive to see the same finishing move over and over, you unlock more finishers as you play. Sticking to more than one weapon type nicely counters that too.

In short, this game isn't for everyone. Rent it and try it is my advice.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Compared to another game that's quite similar in gameplay and setting (The First Templar), it's way better than that crappy game in both regards. The graphics in this game is way better than 1st Templar, the combo system is deeper and more rewarding, and the cutscenes actually explain things in a way that makes sense.

On its own it's not too bad. The graphics are decent and the combat while repetitive, is pretty fun especially whenever you get an execution which always looks brutally rewarding. The story is actually pretty interesting but the characters are a bit one dimensional.

On hard the game can be frustrating at some points due to a lack of decent checkpoints so dying randomly even near the end means you have to replay the whole level from the start over again. The game is definitely a rental but it's not a bad game if you're looking for a mindless hack and slash game with some cheesy one liners.

If I were to rate the game I'd give it a 7/10

Edited by Rapture639