Turbo controller or lightning fingers: Easy strategy to get to and win against Akuma

Important: Make sure you have set the Timer under Game Settings to NORMAL. And only play on HD REMIX as it is much easier. I had a much more difficult time on Classic Arcade. However, your game play experience may vary.

Settings: Game Speed 3, Rounds 5, Time (again) Normal, HD Remix, Easy difficulty. Choose Balrog as your character and it doesn't matter who you fight first or what order they fly you to each competitor.

To get to Akuma, rely solely on fierce punches. For the first few opponents you can blindly fierce punch. As you get towards the fourth or fifth match, or fight Ryu or Ken, you will have to vary this strategy. Try to jump over Ken or Ryu's fireballs and fierce punch in mid air and counter this with another fierce punch.

Sagat is easily the most difficult opponent you will face. He has several cheap attacks, namely Hyper Knee and Hyper Uppercut, although the Uppercut is at least avoidable. I found that the best strategy against him is to be very, very aggressive. Force him across the screen with fierce punches (that he blocks) towards the right side of the screen. When he is against the far right edge of the screen, fierce punch him and then quickly move right and fierce punch him again. Your goal is to wear him down. You will take damage and it will be a close match but as long as you avoid the Hyper Knee a few times you will prevail...

To easily beat Akuma use Balrog and constantly attack (turbo works nicely) with fierce punches and continue to hold down the D-pad towards Akuma (likely right). Do not otherwise move or attempt any other attacks -- just fierce punch in place and hold the D-pad right (or left towards Akuma if you're somehow on the right side of the screen) You can try hitting the fierce punch rapidly, too, if you do not have a turbo controller, as that should have the same effect.

Note: If this technique is working properly you should see Akuma block your attack and/or get hit every so often. Your goal is to damage him some and prevent him from attacking you at all. If he is bouncing around the screen and attacking you then it did not work properly (not punching fast enough?)

The round should expire without you taking a hit. If this technique is not working, again, Akuma will be bouncing around the screen trying various attacks. You cannot get him back into this initial pattern at this point so just try to kill him normally.

This technique worked on my first try against Akuma so I didn't have a chance to try other strategies to see what else might work or work better.

I found this strategy to be the most hassle free way of getting this achievement.

If you don't understand something I have written here please feel free to contact me on Xbox Live as that is the easiest way to reach me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This exact strategy worked great for me in terms of getting TO Akuma; the five rounds allowed for a few flubs and the CPU seemed generally less aggressive and slightly confused by a constantly HPing Balrog. I actually had a cakewalk against Sagat, just as a general strategy I inched forward towards the opponent in between punches and jumped over/blocked projectiles.

I don't know how it is with a turbo controller, but without one this strategy falls apart once you get to Akuma. However once you lose, switch to Sagat and use the high kick method mentioned elsewhere on the forum. It only took me 4 attempts before nailing the timing and distance before getting it. Just try to stay within leg-sweep distance, high kick early and often, and try to time the kicks to hit him properly.

Thanks to the poster for the strategy, I was convinced after years of trying I would NEVER get this one.

• 1 year later...