High in Las Vegas - Red Gems Guide

Aruwal

The charged light shot can also break things without wasting ammo if you aim it directly at the object.

This playthrough was on normal, so maybe higher difficulties add extra gems to compensate for the increased difficulty. I'm assuming this guide was made using the easy difficulty, so it makes me wonder if there's more hidden difficulty dependent red gems.

I got both of the gems davidmerrell is talking about on my easy playthrough as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which level is the last christopher shop i ask this because i read its 5-2 which means the gems collected in 5-3 are no good and u need to max all upgrades in 5-2, seems odd to put gems in 5-3 that u can not use, can anyone verify last shop location/lvl as it would mean a change of approach to the 80 gems.

5-2 is the last shop, but you still are able to upgrade your weapons with the gems in 5-3. The achivement pops once you maxed everything. FWIW here's a picture I took at the start of 5-4

http://i.min.us/jbpIJe.JPG

DO THIS ON EASY. I got every gem mentioned in the OP except the first one on 3-3, because I stopped and when I restarted it actually pushed me ahead a checkpoint. I found 2 extra gems on 4-3, so I got 5 total there. I farmed a little bit on the first spinning head and the swamp, but by that I mean I got like 400-500 gems, I NEVER had more than 600 at any point, and as you can see I had way more than enough. I dumped all the gems I had into christopher in 5-2, found the rest in 5-3.

Great guide. Thanks a lot for it. I read that It might be possible to glitch or farm for red gems so I did a little of those and figured missing a few from the guide wouldn't matter. I got near the end and needed more than were left (post-5-2/Christopher), I chose to restart the chapter and using this guide the last three gems were my last three upgrades. Got really lucky there. I'd recommend people get just about every one they can normally and buy others as a safety measure. If I'd have needed one more gem I would have had to collect them in another playthrough.

Great guide. Thanks a lot for it. I read that It might be possible to glitch or farm for red gems so I did a little of those and figured missing a few from the guide wouldn't matter. I got near the end and needed more than were left (post-5-2/Christopher), I chose to restart the chapter and using this guide the last three gems were my last three upgrades. Got really lucky there. I'd recommend people get just about every one they can normally and buy others as a safety measure. If I'd have needed one more gem I would have had to collect them in another playthrough.

Yeah, seriously. I completed the game on easy last night, my first playthrough. Ended on 79 red gems. :eek: For my last visit to Christopher, I had 24 white gems left over... so I was only 21 white gems away from the achievement. So, basically, every red gem counts. Not sure what I will do now... not too confident about trying to get 80 red gems on normal.

People are really calling this a "great" guide? I've already given up on the guide after missing gem #5. I got the strawberry and moved on but there was no baby gate with a gem. I think I might have had to backtrack but the guide didn't mention that at all lol. I really don't get how a guide can be so poorly written for a game like this with no backtracking allowed and no chapter select and no multiple save filed or manual saving. As soon as you miss a gem, that's that you can't get it again and that's more pointless white gem grinding that I should have to do. Ugh.

I'd really love to know why the description for gem #5 doesn't mention you need to backtrack. Just wow.

@LordOdadjian: Sorry to hearyou didn't like the guide, and that it was no use to you. I do not see anything wrong with description on red gem 5 though, I think it's quite accurate.

What does the rest think? Does it need even more description, or is it fine the way it is?

@LordOdadjian: Sorry to hearyou didn't like the guide, and that it was no use to you. I do not see anything wrong with description on red gem 5 though, I think it's quite accurate.

What does the rest think? Does it need even more description, or is it fine the way it is?

Don't take me too seriously. I love whining like a stuck pig when things don't go my way.

Seriously the rest of the guide is perfectly fine. But the baby door is before the red strawberry for gem number 5. I believe it might help others to mention this and tell them to backtrack aafter getting the strawberry.

Aside from that, the guide has been perfectly fine. My anger is more towards this achievement in general. It's really silly because literally the only way to get this achievement is to grind white gems, even with all the red gem pickups.

Edited by LordOdadjian

"26: Behind cracked stone wall to the left of fireworks launcher: Demolish the cracked stone wall to the left of the fireworks launcher to find a red gem. You can clear away the wall even in the darkness, although it's safer to do it in light."

Just thought I'd let you know that after you've gotten this one and finish doing what you have to do in the next area where Chris's shop is and after you've gotten the next red gem, the strawberry and reached a save point. You can quit out of the game, then continue from the last checkpoint. Walk back out the gate and this same red gem quoted above will be behind the cracked wall near the fireworks again, ripe for the picking :) I'm not sure if there's any other areas in the game where you are forced to backtrack and can exploit the save system to find duplicate gems but I thought I'd mention this one :)

I think you may want to add a BIG WARNING on the top.

For example:

1. Do this ON LEMON. (I know you did this, just not ëye-catching enough I think.)

2. You will have to NET EXTRA 500(or so) WHITE GEMS besides regular playthrough on LEMON.

Well obviously, I didn't do that and ended up with 8 empty slots.

(When I heard Christopher said "This is as far as I go" on Act 5-2, I was like "WTF?")

The best places to farm white gems are obviously the two "3-face demons".

They spawn infinite Normal Demons.

In case some may find fighting three normal demons is risky(esp. for Demon and Legion), here is a trick.

Shoot off the leg of one demon, and shoot off both arms once it's on the floor.

It won't be a threat anymore and there will only be two demons running around.

I am trying this on Demon now.

I have net 999(Max) white gems on both "3-face".(That gives me 26 red gems.)

But now I am already on Act 4-1 yet still have 28 empty slots.

Meaning I will have to net 750 white gems until Act 5-2.

Anyone think I could do that?

Oh, and BTW, great guide.

I love guides with BOTH texts and videos.

But can you change "rotunda" into, like, "circular room"?

"Cause I think not a lot of people know that word.

And for #38, there are actually 2 rooms filled with hanging corpses.

You may want to indicate it's the small one with only one exit(the entrance).

Because I in fact searched the other one like three times and failed to find a barrel.

I even thought maybe my game was glitched.

Talking about glitch.

On the chandelier stage, there is a chance that the demons will be "glitched" into the wall, making them impossible to be killed. And you'll have to quit and restart.

Edited by mnwlkr
Grammar things

I got all the hidden gems and was 3 short....so now, instead of having to play this fucking game 3 times, I have to start over and play it again on Easy, just to get all the red gems, then go back AGAIN, and beat it on Medium and Hard. I really like this game, but fuck, this is just stupid.

Thanks for the guide however I wanted to add that as other people have said there are in fact 5 gems in act 4-3. Not 3 or even 4 as the guide says. One in the second glowing wall, destroy all the barrels and boxes to get it. And another in the third glowing wall, again destroy all the barrels and boxes. The last one make sure you destroy the wall before destroying the two light barrels to the left of it as that triggers a cutscene.

There is in fact also another red gem that isn't in the guide and I have seen no one mention. Act 5-3 has 4 not 3. There is the one in the hanging corpse room. However there is also one in the barrel to the right of the cage holding the strawberry. To get this one though you may need to first go through the left and straight forward options of the maze and get the cutscene where Garcia and Johnson talk about Paula.

So yea great guide, however it's missing 2 gems and the fourth one on 4-3 isn't a maybe. It appeared in all 3 of my playthroughs.

• 1 month later...

I had an interesting glitch occur in 4-4 Great Demon Forest where I somehow collected 51 white gems. Afterwards in level 4-5 I seemed to have 'noclip' on and passed through everything incliding gates and barriers (events also did not occur such as enemies spawning and picking up ammo chests). After restarting the level the game went back to normal. Strange no?

• 2 months later...

I think I may have found a place to farm white crystals earlier than the spots previously mentioned. In section 2-1, just after justine shakes the place up with her voice, you will come to a stair well with an opera poster to its right. When you go down the stair well, darkness will form around two bodies and Johnson will tell you to dispell the darkness; DO NOT LISTEN. After the initial wave of demons has been dealt with demons will continually spawn two at a time as long as you don't shoot the goats head with the light shot. Not only is this spot not totally covered in darkness, you have a clear shot of the demons and for me, on easy, they constantly dropped ammo so there should be no fear of running dry. It will take longer than the other farming spots, but not only is it earlier, it is easier. I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

i got this achievement a few days ago, i think it popped sometime at the end of chapter 4. I collected all but 2 red gems from the guide (i didnt kill the demons with the chandelier because it was bugged) but i did farm around 5-600 white gems at the first spinning head boss and 999 white gems in the swamp. im not completely sure but i think i also picked up 2 gems in the library that isnt in the guide, you have to blow a hole in the wall twice with the hot boner (iirc its just before the boss fight).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wish I would have read that you can't get this "legitimately" before I started playing. Still have to go through the game on Normal and Hard, so I'll start grinding on my next playthrough.

But really, what were they thinking? Difficulty achievements that don't stack, and one that requires tons of grinding in a few spots where enemies infinately respawn? :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Despite getting 999 white gems in boths areas with the skull-heads, I don't think I'll be able to buy all 40 gems on normal. I was really mad that there wasn't a Christopher shop in between the second skull-head and the swamp (unless I missed him) and he still wasn't there for a while. I lost quite a few gems because I couldn't fit any more. Then there were three Christopher stores real close to each other, so close I didn't earn enough gems to buy a Red Gem between them!

Argh, this means I'll be going through this game 4 whole times. I really like it, but this achievement is just stupid.