USA Today: GTA IV DLC article (full)

scourge

GTA IV DLC announced: the lost and the damned 11.20.2008

GTA IV DLC: 'The Lost and the Damned'

'Grand Theft Auto' yields road to the 'Lost and Damned'

The upcoming episode of the video game Grand Theft Auto IV looks to be a wild one.

GTA IV, which was released in April for the Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3, focused on former Eastern European soldier Niko Bellic and his escalating life of crime in the boroughs of Liberty City. This new episode, available Feb. 17 via download exclusively for those who own the Xbox 360 version (no price yet), stars Johnny Klebitz, a member of Liberty City biker gang The Lost.

"Johnny is a very different character than Niko, with a very different background," says Dan Houser, vice president of creative development for Rockstar Games. "I can't go into too much detail on the story, because we try not to give away too much plot before the game is released. But I can say that the story will show you a different side of Liberty City."

The episode, titled The Lost and Damned, requires players to have the full version of the Mature-rated GTA IV (ages 17 and older) and an Xbox Live membership to download. It's likely to carry an M rating, too. (Parents can use the Xbox 360's parental controls to prevent children from accessing inappropriate content.)

GTA IV is the top video game this year; nearly two-thirds of the 5 million copies sold have been for Xbox 360, according to The NPD Group.

In the original game, Niko crossed paths with The Lost several times. This time, Niko has only a bit part, Houser says. "The story is not directly impacted by decisions you took in the main game," he says. But "tons of details and mysteries from the main story get explained, so it will add a lot of color to the main story."

Rockstar Games has been fine-tuning its explorable 3-D virtual worlds since launching its first "sandbox" game with Grand Theft Auto III in 2001.

The new game will let you download more sandbox time. "We feel like we've only scratched the surface in terms of the depth and detail in" GTA IV's mythical Liberty City, says Houser.

Previous games have used downloads to add "new stages, weapons and costumes," says GamePro Media features editor Dave Rudden, "but GTA IV's content will reportedly add hours of gameplay."

Rudden hopes the episode costs $15 or less, but Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter expects a $20 price and says Rockstar could sell 2 million to 3 million downloads. "I see episodic content as a natural progression of the quality of downloadable content."

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/932/932226/grand-theft-auto-iv-20081120065515909.jpghttp://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/932/932226/grand-theft-auto-iv-20081120065507362.jpghttp://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/932/932226/grand-theft-auto-iv-20081120065548908.jpghttp://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/932/932251/grand-theft-auto-iv-20081120081819769.jpghere are 3 screenshots from ign.com

Here's a video with all the appearances of the main character for the DLC. I was also just looking around in GTA today and found some news articles about the biker gangs in Liberty City. I'll post those later if anyone shows interest.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QYXrz8WNoM]YouTube - GTA IV: Lost & Damned Character (Johnny Klebitz)[/ame]

Just hearing this has got me back on GTA.

Hopefully this add on will be Long.. i dont think it will tho.

Also does any1 have any idea at all about how you will

access to play as the other guy? Like a new save and when u

start you pick Nicko or that biker gang guy? Idk, but yeah im prob

gonna start saving.. atleast its out in feb :) i was getting worried

so much downloadable content was coming out and it was all in december D; Gta just gives me enough time to save up.. :)

here's the first news report on the lost

BIKER GANG CHAOS

The Lost causse more problems

There's a war going on right here on our doorsteps.

Everyone thinks that members of motorcycle gangs are

friendly bearded rebels who want to take you for a ride.

But there's more to that beard then meets the eye.

Recently, Billy Grey, leader of the Alderney chapter of

The Lost biker gang, was released from a rehabilitation

center. Members of the community were shocked that

Mr. Grey got off with such a light sentence after his

period inside, biker crime in Liberty City had dwindled to

almost nothing. However, in recent days, new

skirmishes have broken out making police think that old

scores are being settled. Reports have come in of

shootouts and bike chases through the metropolitan

area. The bodies of several suspected members of both

The Lost and their arch rivals the Angels of Death have

been recovered.

Was Judge Barry Griffin's sentence too lenient for this

hardened drug trafficker? If anyone deserved to be put

into a maximum security correctional facility, it was Billy

Grey. His sentencing to a country club rehabilitation

center is an insult to all of us on the side of law and

order.

2nd news report on the lost

HELL FOR LEATHER

More biker gang violence on the streets of LC

A gas, leather, and crystal meth-fueled war is raging on

the streets of Liberty City. It isn't nations fighting but

rival motorcycle gangs battling for control of the streets.

Men have died in this war, like The Lost biker Jason

Michaels who was killed in Broker recently. How long is

it going to be before innocent civilians are killed as well?

Mainly thinks to the Angels of Death and their public

relations efforts, biker gangs have taken on a much

more friendly image in recent years. They appear in

family-friendly movies and are romanticized in video

games and TV showes. They are thought to stand for a

nobel rebellion against the norms of society. Be warned,

this image is just a smokescreen used to cover up their

real criminal agenda - sleeping with your wife and selling

meth to your kids.

3rd news report on the Lost

BIKER LAWLESSNESS CONTINUES

The Lost causing more trouble on LC's streets

The Police Commissioner has stated that, besides

terrorists and peaceful political protest we don't approve

of, the next biggest threat to civic order within LIberty

City is motorcycle gangs. A recent barroom shootout

resulted in several young Asian men dead at the hands

of leather-clad, bike-riding harbingers of death.

We could not reach a member of The Lost Motorcycle

Club for comment but a spokesperson for the Angels of

Death denied any member involvement in this

altercation. He claimed that they are, "just a bunch of

guys who like to get together, get drunk and then ride

choppers. We keep our noses clean." If likes of

methamphetamine have a sanitizing effect, then this guy

might be right.

It's funny how people say GTA 4 was bad. Good graphics, some not bad achievements for dedicated and casual gamers, improved gameplay from the other GTA's. What more can u expect? The game is excellent and anyone who denies that is just a fanboy or a noob.

I'm not sure how not liking this game is supposed to make anybody or myself a fanboy or noob. Surely if I was a fanboy I would just say that all GTA's are the most amazing things ever and nothing even touches them... or something like that. Anyway, I've played every single GTA (completed most of them) and I much preferred playing both Vice City and San Andreas as opposed to IV. For me, there was a much greater playable and enjoyable sense about those two. Yes, of course, IV has top notch graphics and a beautiful City to look at but for I'd prefer to just run and gun like I could on the older GTA's (including both the PSP GTA's which I also still have). Well that's just my opinion anyway. As for whether the new DLC will get me back into GTA IV, I doubt it. I haven't seen anybody on my friends list play GTA IV for months. I also much prefer playing Saints Row 2, the first of which I couldn't get into at all. That's about all I wanted to say really lol. :)