Achievement Discussion Thread

Achievements list is below.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/xcom/achievements/

Looks like an offline-only game. Quite a number of people already playing offline, so we'll wait and see how long it takes them to complete the game. That is if they connect to Xbox LIVE before people from gaming sites don't complete it before them.

Hope it's a fun and enjoyable game. Looking forward to it.

Edited by iBuzz7S

Not a fan of lists that don't use all 50 achievement slots.

The achievements look pretty average, and they are probably difficult. Might pick up the game just for fun, but probably wont' pay much attention to the achievements.

Nope. Easy achievements.

Got the full 1000 in ~two days. Granted, I barely did anything else, other than play this game. It's awesome, relatively short, even with all the side-missions.

The only "tricky" achievement, that I can come up with, is the one that you need to get 15 kills using Mind Control.

You get to the necessary rank to unlock MC, near the end of the game, and enemies at that point are mostly always with shields, and tough as nails. I unlocked the achievement at the VERY end, last fight to be precise. I did play on Commander difficulty, so it will be probably easier on more forgiving difficulties, where enemies aren't as dangerous.

My tip, never Mind Control Mutons, because they just sit pretty and do nothing. Never use it on Snipers, reason? Same as Mutons... The best bet, is to MC the very furthest enemy, because that way he'll flank his allies and give you the necessary boost to kill enemies easier. Lift ability helps tremendously.

Also, did I mention that MC works for only like 10-20secs, and has a cooldown of 3 minutes?

P.S. - If any of you are interested in making an Achievement guide, I can pretty help in every possible way, since I have the 1000 already.

P.S.S - As the guy above me said, play the game on Veteran. If you're adept at multitasking games, and like a challenge, play it on Commander, and save yourself an extra playthrough. The only real difference between Veteran-Commander is that whenever one of your agents gets incapacitated on Commander, he will be unavailable for the duration of the current fight. On Veteran, he gets up and continues fighting. You still have to get to them on Commander, and stabilize them, unless you want them to bleed out and die. I lost quite a few rookies this way, since I didn't feel like losing progress, and sacrificing myself for a Rank 2 agent, that I can easily replace.

Being a huge XCOM fan, this game didn't disappoint me, had a great story and addictive gameplay. What more can you ask?

Enemy Unknown was my GoTY of 2012, I really hope Firaxis makes a sequel that's even better and feels more true to the original UFO Defense. I'm really happy that XCOM is still a franchise, even after all this time. Hell, I'm still playing UFO Defense, on my Android Tablet device, via the RetroArch PSX emulator :D

Edited by KriugerisLT

"They Won't Know What Hit Them" isn't unlocking for me. What's the trick on that one? I'm almost positive I've used every ability fot every agent, myself included, in the game. I'm at endgame as well... Help?

I finished the game today and I couldn't get that to unlock either. I also somehow did not get "Spring Cleaning" when I'm pretty sure I talked to everyone thoroughly after each mission.

Hey I got this game today and like know is some cheevos missable or replay chapters and missions still to get if miss?

You can't replay chapters so technically most of the list can be missed but you'll probably unlock most of them naturally. Early on in the game there is a missable secret achievement where you must kill all the enemies at the Test Site before boarding the Skyranger. The rest you can just read and try to complete while playing.

Edited by Orgymang

You can't replay chapters so technically most of the list can be missed but you'll probably unlock most of them naturally. Early on in the game there is a missable secret achievement where you must kill all the enemies at the Test Site before boarding the Skyranger. The rest you can just read and try to complete while playing.

Ok thanks for head up. I will leave this game until achievements guide is up.

If you talk to everyone after every minor/major mission, doing all the investigations. It's easy to not miss any mission. I am already at the last major mission, in two days after I just got the game.

Also, unrelated, funniest thing happened today. I fell down into black nothingness inside the base, I could see everything above me. The firing range section didn't load correctly.

Hey I got this game today and like know is some cheevos missable or replay chapters and missions still to get if miss?

You can, in theory, replay chapters, since the save/load function here works in sections. For example, if you go into your "Load Game" option, you can see that there's every saved game, for every mission you played. There's no "Chapter Select", but the "Load Game" function is sufficient for this.

Ok thanks for head up. I will leave this game until achievements guide is up.

To be honest, I don't think this game needs an achievement guide. It's pretty straight forward. I already 1000G the game in five days of renting it.

What I did on Commander difficulty, used sniper rifle is pretty strong for the first 3 chapters then Laser SMG/Pistol and then plasma version of those weapons onward. Lift ability with critical strike for instant kills and extra experience points (Combo Kill!!) for faster leveling especially on mutons and mechs. Also used lift ability with fire strike for easy armor stripping. Used taunt on everything (especially boss fights)for focused firing and faster combo killing. Shield up the entire group, whenever it is up/can be used. Made everything a walk in the park.

I created my own: Commando with rank 1 damage reduction, enhanced taunt, shield ability, and additional health with guardian backpack. I didn't improve the pulse wave, it has its uses but not for damage.

Sniper with rank 1 damage reduction, hard-to-kill, enhanced critical strike damage, diversion, and fire strike with armor piecer/rapture backpack.

For those who have completed the game, how many hours would you say it took you? I currently have this from Gamefly, but am contemplating whether I should play it or not simply because my backlog is already huge.

Took me about 15hrs to 1000g it. 1 full playthrough on commander difficulty/no deaths, then another 1hr to get a couple of misc achievements I didn't get the 1st time through.

Hey I notice changing difficulty will affect some achievements it is message when you want change difficulty so is this only affect high difficulty achievement?

I want change high to rookie difficult cos I found hard since my A.I. team mates alway down this why I found annoyed and want change high to rookie difficulty so is ok change and not affect other cheevos beside just affect high difficulty cheevo?