Boardwalk Empire

SmoothAsEgg5

Really surprised I didn't see a thread about this. Currently aired its 2nd episode last Sunday on HBO. It's about the bootlegging going on in the US (mainly Atlantic City) during the Prohibition era. I believe its written by the Sopranos writer and produced by Martin Scorcese who also directed the first episode.

Pretty good stuff so far. Comments or opinions?

First episode was brillant but felt the second episode was a bit slow and nothing major really happened! Am gunna stick with it though cause HBO are the kings of Tv dramas and this one looks like it will be just as good!!

Guy on the AV Club gave the opinion that the first episode was like filled to the brim with spectacle and now the second episode is like the night afterwards, having breakfast with the girl getting to know her.

• 3 weeks later...

I was about to make a thread about Boardwalk when I found this.

Doesn't seem this show has much of a following on this forum. That's too bad, I have enjoyed every episode thus far and think anyone who watches the first few episodes would get hooked too.

It has a Sopranos feel to it, just set at an earlier time. I am really interested to see how far Al Capone goes in the series, can't imagine he takes orders too much longer lol :uzi:

HBO are the kings of Tv dramas

I'd argue that they've really fallen off in the last few years, losing a lot of ground to both Showtime and AMC. They produced The Wire though, so I'll never completely turn my back.

Enjoying BE so far. It has been moving kinda slow, but now that they've established more of the world (ie-the goings on in Chicago) I'm hoping the drama/action gets amped up. I figure it's only a matter of time before Nucky heeds Jimmy's advice about being a part-time gangster and steps his game up.

I'd argue that they've really fallen off in the last few years, losing a lot of ground to both Showtime and AMC. They produced The Wire though, so I'll never completely turn my back.

Enjoying BE so far. It has been moving kinda slow, but now that they've established more of the world (ie-the goings on in Chicago) I'm hoping the drama/action gets amped up. I figure it's only a matter of time before Nucky heeds Jimmy's advice about being a part-time gangster and steps his game up.

The Wire is my favorite TV show ever but I do like HBO miniseries like Band of Brothers and The Pacific but i would agree that both AMC and Showtime make good TV shows, as I enjoy Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Dexter!

As for Boardwalk Empire I think it is getting better with each episode and has a similar feel to Mad Men eventhough there set in different era...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first season was awesome but I must admit, I had expected less depth in storyline and more action, potentially an Al Capone story becoming maybe even Sopranos in prohibition times like.

Although I had different views on what would happen with the show, its awesome and can't wait for the next season. Another great show involving Mark Wahlberg and as ever HBO.

My hopes for next season are more Jimmy and Al story though. When Al shot the gun and deafened Jimmy it was hilarious! haha.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Hmmmm, my friends and you guys have been giving this show high praise... i'm too obsessed with Dexter right now... but i might give this show a look since it's so highly touted.

Wow... almost 2 years have gone by.... and this show is amazing.

I watched all three season this winter break and I could not stop watching it.

Just amazing!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyx6HS83eAI]Loudon Wainwright III - Carrickfergus - YouTube[/ame]

I hope they put more emphasis on Richard Harrow because he's by far the best character.

Also, Jimmy's mom isn't dead FYI

Edited by KFZ Scrubs

Begun watching this about a month ago. A few episodes into season 2 right now and this is a good show. Even though there is a heavy emphasis on "wardrobe" at least the core of the show has real substance in the script and the writing, unlike Mad Men.

Although I find myself not really caring or being drawn to Nucky as a character that much. This is most likely because I'm more interested in Al Capone's character and development than anything. Stephen Graham completely fucking owns this show and could easily be the main protagonist.

A shockingly underrated and under appreciated British actor right there. Not bad for a Liverpudlian.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pL6iuw-g0]This Is England - Shop Scene - YouTube[/ame]

Begun watching this about a month ago. A few episodes into season 2 right now and this is a good show. Even though there is a heavy emphasis on "wardrobe" at least the core of the show has real substance in the script and the writing, unlike Mad Men.

Although I find myself not really caring or being drawn to Nucky as a character that much. This is most likely because I'm more interested in Al Capone's character and development than anything. Stephen Graham completely fucking owns this show and could easily be the main protagonist.

A shockingly underrated and under appreciated British actor right there. Not bad for a Liverpudlian.

This Is England - Shop Scene - YouTube

Didn't even know he was British... good stuff.

As for Capone... big stuff is in for him, Luciano and Lansky.

I mean, history wise, they're some of the biggest men to ever walk on the scene... .and they just feel like minor characters right now.

I feel like in the coming season though, those three men will really pop on the show. I can tell because there roles have grown since the first season

Up until season 3 I loved the show. Most of season 3 seemed to drag on way too long, and I agree with the comments about Richard Harrow needing a bigger role, and Nucky being less interesting than many of the other people in the show. I think I still have an episode or two to watch, however.

I also like ex-agent Nelson's character...hopefully he becomes an enforcer or something next season, I think he'd fit that job well.

Up until season 3 I loved the show. Most of season 3 seemed to drag on way too long, and I agree with the comments about Richard Harrow needing a bigger role, and Nucky being less interesting than many of the other people in the show. I think I still have an episode or two to watch, however.

I also like ex-agent Nelson's character...hopefully he becomes an enforcer or something next season, I think he'd fit that job well.

I heard that Nelson does for the North Side gangster.

I agree though... I was kind of sad on season three because I thought they wouldn't resolve the Gyp matter because they didn't start striking back till the end of episode 9/10... then they just fast forwarded all the gang violence.

I can't wait to see season 4.... the show is amazing