So is this ending hated more than Mass Effect 3's?(Spoilers)

Kal_El

It seems a lot of people hated the ending of prototype 2..but i never really saw the game as that relevant in comparison to mass effect 3...but i did think the ending was pretty weak..what about you guys? worse than mass effect 3?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FniAR5NlSm0]Prototype 2 : Alex Mercer Boss Fight on HARD and Ending(Spoilers) - YouTube[/ame]

I'd say this is worse to me honestly. Now I'm not invested in this game like I am/was in Mass Effect. In fact with Mass Effect, my only true disappointment in the endings were that they were essentially carbon copies of each other no matter the choice. Now of course as things were brought up by my friends my disappointment increased such as no closure for the other characters, what happens across the universe to all the species (since the mass relays get destroyed what happens to all of the aliens now marooned on earth for instance), etc. However, the ending in this is indeed weak as weak goes. There's just no explaining anything. There's almost no dialogue. But at the same time while playing this I realized how convoluted the story was even compared to the first one (where in the first one was the story?!?) I can't say I expected a blockbuster ending myself.

This ending is definitely worse, but it's also a matter of...Well, who cares about prototypes story anyway? Mass Effect's ending was lead up to for 3 games that were probably 30+ hours each(i probably spend closer to 200 in all three combined) for disappointment.

I have no complaints about it. What did people expect to happen? They left it very open for more sequels. It's a good thing. I would have been irritated if the story ended and Heller somehow rid the world of the entire virus and lived happily ever after. Fuck that lol.

Same here lol, I hope they make another but just make it more challenging like the first, I was proud to 1k the first one but this one was way to easy. Takes like 13 hours tops.

Same here lol, I hope they make another but just make it more challenging like the first, I was proud to 1k the first one but this one was way to easy. Takes like 13 hours tops.

I liked 2 more than 1 because I felt much more powerful even on hard. But yeah it was short. Better than it being too long though.

This ending is definitely worse, but it's also a matter of...Well, who cares about prototypes story anyway? Mass Effect's ending was lead up to for 3 games that were probably 30+ hours each(i probably spend closer to 200 in all three combined) for disappointment.

that's exactly what i was thinking..a lot of people were talking about how bad it was..but the game isn't exactly a big deal lol

No this is in no way worse than Mass Effect 3's ending. That was the single worst disappointment in my entire gaming history. I absolutely loved Mass Effect 3. It was in my opinion 99% perfect. That last 10 minutes or so was awful though. But it didn't detract from how amazing the rest of the game was.

With this game I was looking forward to seeing how the story played out since I was a fan of the first game. I thought the story was pretty good overall. The only part I didn't like about the ending to Prototype 2 was that Alex Mercer was consumed by Heller. That pissed me off. Since I liked Alex way more than Heller. I was hoping to be able to play as him in the third game.

The entire time through the game I just wanted to side with Mercer. He was a much more interesting character. I hadn't heard the theory that it wasn't really him but a viral clone. That's an interesting idea. It would make sense since he said his ultimate goal was to combine all life on the planet into one. Kind of like a hive mind. If that was the case, then maybe he could turn one of his Evolved into a clone of himself. His memories and DNA would be inside of anyone he sired/turned/infected.

I'm going to hope that's what Radical goes with when writing the next games story. Heller was okay for one game, but he's a pretty flat character overall. He just wanted his daughter back. Now that he has her, I don't see any need for him to be in future titles. That's just my opinion.

Edited by BloodGodAlucard

Read somewhere that it wasnt actually Mercer that dies at the end, its an evil clone of him that was formed from the virus.

Could you find the source for this? I'd love to read it myself, please!

With this game I was looking forward to seeing how the story played out since I was a fan of the first game. I thought the story was pretty good overall. The only part I didn't like about the ending to Prototype 2 was that Alex Mercer was consumed by Heller. That pissed me off. Since I liked Alex way more than Heller. I was hoping to be able to play as him in the third game.

The entire time through the game I just wanted to side with Mercer. He was a much more interesting character. I hadn't heard the theory that it wasn't really him but a viral clone. That's an interesting idea. It would make sense since he said his ultimate goal was to combine all life on the planet into one. Kind of like a hive mind. If that was the case, then maybe he could turn one of his Evolved into a clone of himself. His memories and DNA would be inside of anyone he sired/turned/infected.

I'm going to hope that's what Radical goes with when writing the next games story. Heller was okay for one game, but he's a pretty flat character overall. He just wanted his daughter back. Now that he has her, I don't see any need for him to be in future titles. That's just my opinion.

I agree, completely. Does Heller even know about PARIAH? Does anyone even give a crap about him anymore? Didn't they say if Alex and PARIAH ever met it would be extremely bad?

To be honest, I didn't think people had high expectations of Prototype 2's ending. Mass Effect 3's ending, however, is supposed to conclude everything that had been started since the first game. And the so-called player choice at the end doesn't make things any better, since they're essentially the same endings with a different colour tone.

This ending of prototype 2 compared to ME3 is not bad. I have seen all of the endings of ME3 and I am not a happy camper as it leaves WAAAAY to may questions un-answered and leaves an empty feeling when it is all done. P2 at least could leave it here if they never made another one after this and it would not feel as if you had got cheated. ME3 leaves me feeling cheated as if there should be more but I have to wait and pay for it in a DLC. Not a happy camper with ME3 right now

I actually hate pretty much everything Prototype 2 does with the story, and while some people say "who cares about Prototype's story? It's a dumb action game," I actually thought that the first game was pretty intelligently written and had that nice mystery angle with the Web of Intrigue.

My main problem with the game is simply the characters. I can't stand any of them. Blackwatch really only has two types of characters; douchey funny characters (anybody remember "brah" man? That guy's a laugh riot, isn't he?) that are incredibly annoying to listen to (though I'll admit that I had a soft spot for Starnes; he made those tedious undercover missions a bit tolerable,) and characters whose only role is to show you just how ruthless and evil the big bad soldier men are. I found Heller himself to be incredibly generic and I quickly grew tired of his one-liners every time he consumes a mission target. He also really plays up the "stupid tough guy" stereotype far too much; the mission where he has a fit over computers was just irritating. Guerra doesn't really have much character to speak of, and Dana's presence in the game feels kind of forced; you don't have to tie up EVERY loose end. I mean, after all, they only referenced Pariah once in the entire game, so why couldn't they keep Dana as a surprise for Prototype 3? Maybe she could have been researching Pariah in the meantime and be a key piece of that game's puzzle?

The only character I actually liked was Sabrina Galloway. Why? Because her motivations actually made sense. I felt that for most of the game, Heller's quest was actually pretty aimless. The game was supposed to be a revenge story, but Mercer quickly redirects Heller's attention to Blackwatch, and most of the game is spent on a problem-by-problem basis where Guerra just calls you up and says "hey, Blackwatch is up to something, go stop it" and you don't really seem to be achieving anything until you go to the Red Zone. It also gets to the point where Heller goes completely out of character and just goes on missions to murder annoying soldiers who talk about him over the radio, what an asshole!

Galloway tried to make the best of a bad situation and get out; quite frankly it's probably what you or I would do, and I appreciate the realism. Another thing that annoyed me was how instantly-hostile Heller AND Dana were to her, even though she was acting as you'd expect of a person in her position, caught between Blackwatch and Mercer.

Unfortunately, much like Heller's OOC moments, Sabrina goes crazy at the end and first suggests ruling the world with Heller (why would you think he'd go for that? Who'd want to continue working with him? Again, seriously, the dude's an asshole) and even goes back to Mercer, completely throwing out her ENTIRE REASON FOR EXISTING IN THIS GAME, and gets killed for it. Great writing!

Something that bothered me about Radical's approach to the franchise is something they said during Prototype 2's development (unfortunately I don't have a source and am too lazy to look for one.)

They said that people didn't like Alex in the first Prototype because he was "too mean."

What? Too mean? Have you seen what players do when they first get their hands on this game? They look for the oldest granny they can find, so they can piledrive her off of the Empire State building!

The thing is that I feel that their justification for creating Heller is hypocritical. I mean, a common complaint for Prototype 2 is that it's literally the same as the first game. Both are revenge stories; Alex Mercer wanted to kill the people who turned him into a superhuman, Heller wanted to kill those responsible for the death of his family. Both ended up doing stuff for the good of the populous, both had contacts to do research for them and handle civilian matters, both had a rivalry with one of the higher-ups in Blackwatch, it goes on.

I guess the turning point is really Rooks vs. Alex's girlfriend. There was that one scene in the first game, totally optional if I remember right, where you simply went into a building and killed Alex's girlfriend for selling you out. On the other hand, Heller doesn't actually want to kill Rooks if he doesn't have to (though he was fine killing his second-in-command! How about that?) and Rooks actually relates to Heller as a father (I still don't like Rooks because he's such a generic soldierman but I do like those last two-three cutscenes with him)

In the end, I feel that Heller still goes out of his way in normal missions to kill dudes for rather simple offenses...While I can't remember enough of the original Prototype to say if Alex did the same or not, I don't think there was any reason to create a new protagonist and make Alex the bad guy. (For the record I feel that Alex was actually a good guy from start to finish in the first game, but his powers kind of force his hand, you know? He's kind of a tortured "dark hero" or whatever you want to call it. I still dig that scene where Dana first sees his powers and you can tell that he's ashamed of them, and it's fitting that the game ends with him accepting them.)

It seems that their way of making a more likable protagonist was actually to make a completely UNlikable antagonist, hence the constant disgusting audio logs from Blackwatch soldiers, and Mercer constantly coming by to tweak his dastardly moustache at you.

I think the core problem is that they felt that every game has to make you the good guy, right? People liked the first game because it really let you go on a power trip. Even Spider Man games where you get the Black Suit powers, you're still on a "spectrum of goodness." Being a bad dude could have simply been Prototype's thing; even though I think of Alex as a good guy, I'd rather have SOMETHING original compared to Prototype 2's complete rehashing of the first game.

Edited by Taiyz

I decided to look into the comics to find out what information I might have missed by not reading them. It actually explains why Alex is the villain in this game and the reasons why he makes the choices he does. It's a pretty interesting read. I just thought I'd link it for anyone interested.

http://prototype.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Mercer

The wiki has information on all of the characters. So if you want a refresher on the plot of the first game, it's a good source.

hmm hunt down the bastard that fucked you up and killed your family completely destroy him useing the powers he gave you and reign as the ultimate bad ass

nope i'm good right in the zone i wanted when i got the game

bought an action game to reign as the supreme bad ass in town and who cares about the story

i am not disappointed in any way

it has been too long since i have said this about any game

juenger1701

Far from a great ending, but the story was pretty throwaway throughout and wasn't the focus of the game for me. I could see complaining about the final boss fight itself, as that could have been more epic, but by the end I didn't care what happened with the story or characters.

I really don't see how people think this is a 'bad' ending.

What did you want to happen? For Heller to sit on the top of a building in New York singing Christmas carols?

I enjoyed the ending. The wife saying "What do we do now?" is a perfect ending. It's not made to be all rosy and happy. It's a bleak city, the virus caused a lot of damage.

I haven't played ME3 so I can't comment on that, but P2 is hardly a bad ending. But, people aren't happy unless they are bitching about something - so bitch away. ;-)

I didn't care much for the story, so I can't tell anything about that. I only think the story was way too short, and even on hard the final boss was very easy. I only died once because I clicked the wrong button at the wrong time (hehe). So, because of that, I think this ending was worse than ME3 ending.

You guys want to be the next on line to be a bunch of cry baby bitches about some ending especially a game that isn't even popular among folks. God, this tread better not continue because ME3 fans themselves ruined ME3 altogether. Accept it for what it is, there is always DLC to continue from what happened.

This is Prototype, you had some sort of connection with Heller? Did you father you when you were a child? Then shut up, leave it as is. It had to end, it had to end, end of story. Game was fun but if you think about it, the story wasn't all great, the characters are okay, it was just mainly a game to run around and wreck havoc in a city. This isn't even close to what ME series was so shut up.