tomahawk challenge 3

rabies

...wtf...

Rank 3 for the tomahawk challenge is to kill a flying bat with one..what the hell..

I must have lobbed 20 of them at bats and have not even come close...anybody have any tips? The accuracy on these things suck..trying to gauge how high above the target to throw is frustrating.

Thanks for the link.

The method of throwing bait to scare bats and have them hover did not work for me at all...he must have gotten lucky.

However, after multiple attempts, I did try the method to shoot a tree to scare the bats out while standing nearby. I shot, immediately went into the menu to select a tomahawk (faster than the wheel select method) and immediately went into deadeye found the closest bat and was able to 'paint' it and score the kill.

I did not think you could use deadeye to target a bat as I had tried numerous times in the past, but I guess the key there is that you have to be really close to the flying bat in order for deadeye to work.....so don't stand too far from the tree.

I'm struggling with this as well, can anybody tell me how to "paint" the targets in deadeye? Its been a while since I've played the original Red Dead and I've forgot most of the basics!!

Also, is there a good place to find tomahawk ammo? I had 20-odd before I started attempting this challenge, now I'm down to one. The achievement guide said there was a special item you get on completing the story that gives you full ammo but I either haven't got it or it doesn't count for tomahawks.

I'm struggling with this as well, can anybody tell me how to "paint" the targets in deadeye? Its been a while since I've played the original Red Dead and I've forgot most of the basics!!

Also, is there a good place to find tomahawk ammo? I had 20-odd before I started attempting this challenge, now I'm down to one. The achievement guide said there was a special item you get on completing the story that gives you full ammo but I either haven't got it or it doesn't count for tomahawks.

While in Dead Eye mode, you can manually paint targets by pressing RB while the reticule is hovering over them.

As for Tomahawks, I found about 5 of them total by looting zombies. I did this challenge in the regular single player.

this is hella easier if you do it in the regular game rather than the Undead mode, i did it last night, you dont even have to hit the bird, lol just lock on an throw it an it gives it to you.

Edited by eiVaL

lol i got really lucky on this one, i threw a bunch of tomahawks at this flock of bats that i had just scared, and i actually didnt hit the bat, no dead "x" on the map to be found, yet it still said i did, and completed the challenge. Atm the Undead hunter lvl 4 is causing me the most problems.... The torch? seriously? i must have to wack a bear 15 times with it before it goes down seems like. Ridiculous!

Atm the Undead hunter lvl 4 is causing me the most problems.... The torch? seriously? i must have to wack a bear 15 times with it before it goes down seems like. Ridiculous!

stay on your horse, they wont kill it an they cant hurt you.

if you use Death, just make sure to stay still or else it will kill them when they touch him.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this over on Gamespot and it worked for me after only three attempts :woop:

I found a near sure-fire way to get the Tomahawk Mastery: Level 3...although I can't promise it won't be frustrating.

Make sure you have several tomahawks in your inventory, and save your game in the Thieves' Landing safehouse. It is from this load game you'll be making your attempt right off the bat (no pun intended). If you attempt and fail, it's advised you quit to the main menu, as opposed to simply loading this save point in the middle of a game (the bats don't seem to respawn unless you quit to main).

Once you load this game, exit the safehouse and immediately turn around so you're facing the door you just exited. Climb up to the top of your safehouse by jumping and grabbing the roof to the left of your door. Face west and you'll see some trees right in front of you (with water off to your left).

Throw a tomahawk into the trees (or, if you're particularly low on tomahawks, shoot a pistol into the trees, pause with Start, and switch to tomahawks from the Weapons menu). This will cause a bunch of bats to fly out of the trees, traveling overhead and to your left. Pivot left and start chucking the 'hawks. If you fail, quit to main, restart, and retry.

You should get it eventually, or soon if you're lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

eh? lvl 3 killing bats?? done all chalanges and never had to kill a bat. tomahawked an owl that just 'took off'. you are talking about 'axe master' achevement yeah??

isnt that a RDR single player achevement not an 'Undead' achevement?

Dude that is much more simple in single RDR campaign as you only need to scare a bird that is on the ground into taking flight then T'hawk the crap outa it. it dont need no skill as the bird should be quite close and the t'hawk doesnt need to arc through the air.

The next two challanges [lvl 4&5] can be done at Twin rocks in one go.

Aproach from the west and save as close as possible (about rattlesnake hollow) get close to the 'Twin rocks' (the actual rocks not the hideout) make sure you:

1. DO NOT start the gang hideout before;

2. Have a decent line up on the two dudes on the rocks.

3. Dead eye and shoot them both [i used an evans repeater] with HS they must die in that 1 deadeye as the hideoutstarts AFTER you have killed your first 1 / 2 this way you dont have to fanny about trying to t'hawk them

4. Continue to ride around the north side of the compound untill you find someone to t'hawk from HB (use deadeye to make sure you hit the target) then run around t'hawking your bad-arse to the end. it is possible to kill the end dude with a t'hawk, though I think [know] mine glitched to hell while doing so - in a good way.

...... and oh yeah, it took frickin ages for it to tell me i passed lvl5 - I'd looted all the body's before it came up.:D

failing that there will be loads of vultures at the end of the gang hide out climb up top of the MAIN building and hope that lady luck has blessed your t'hawks throw and hope. thanks to many cock ups on my behalf. I have done both methods.

• 4 weeks later...
buying the undead disc changes the challenges and makes them alot harder for most things it seems - ive been tryin to figure this out since i bought the undead disc and still havnt gotten it yet...sucks so much balls ugh

I did all of the challenges in Undead Nightmare, and to me, they seem easier than in the original game.

All you have to do to hit a bat is paint it with Dead Eye.

That's what I did anyway, and I got it first try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I found this over on Gamespot and it worked for me after only three attempts :woop:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP_Loveshaft

I found a near sure-fire way to get the Tomahawk Mastery: Level 3...although I can't promise it won't be frustrating.

Make sure you have several tomahawks in your inventory, and save your game in the Thieves' Landing safehouse. It is from this load game you'll be making your attempt right off the bat (no pun intended). If you attempt and fail, it's advised you quit to the main menu, as opposed to simply loading this save point in the middle of a game (the bats don't seem to respawn unless you quit to main).

Once you load this game, exit the safehouse and immediately turn around so you're facing the door you just exited. Climb up to the top of your safehouse by jumping and grabbing the roof to the left of your door. Face west and you'll see some trees right in front of you (with water off to your left).

Throw a tomahawk into the trees (or, if you're particularly low on tomahawks, shoot a pistol into the trees, pause with Start, and switch to tomahawks from the Weapons menu). This will cause a bunch of bats to fly out of the trees, traveling overhead and to your left. Pivot left and start chucking the 'hawks. If you fail, quit to main, restart, and retry.

You should get it eventually, or soon if you're lucky.

This helped a lot. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Seriously, the dead eye painting trick refuses to work for me. I've chased a dozen bats up onto plateaus and had them right above my head but still can't paint them. >.< It's pissing me off. HOW far do you have to be from them? Standing on top of them?! This has got to be the hardest one out of all the challenges, IMO.

• 4 months later...

This was giving me trouble last night but I figured it out. At first I was trying to use the bait to make the bats stationary in the air but after killing one with my tomahawk I found out that it did not count.

What I did then was head to Diez Coronas Southwest of Torquemada where there are a lot of bushes and shrubs. As soon as I found a good set of shrubs, I shot the area with my rifle and immediately switched over to my tomahawk. As the bats flew out, I was able to paint one with deadeye and BAM I get the challenge.

As for the final challenge where it tells you to save a town using only a tomahawk, I just ran around and "melee-ed" all the zombies. Be sure not to aim in though. Just run up to a zombie and hit the RIGHT TRIGGER.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...