King of the Scarab - Video

Choppa_mate

Now that was a rather impressive tactic (and video). Definitely gonna try it when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks so much, as I was having issues with the banshee disappearing whenever I made an attempt.

To be honest, I forgot that there were skulls in Halo 2. xD

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying this for a while, but it never launches me high enough to even reach the ledge. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but I've put the box exactly the way you put it in the video.

Still beats the other method, though. I've lured that damn Banshee through the tunnel so many times now, and every time I get to the end, it vanished the split-second 'Loading...' appears in my screen. I don't know if this has something to do with computer speed, but eh. Maybe people with slower computers get more time between 'Loading...' and the Banshee disappearing. I'll keep trying this method though. Thanks for sharing.

And to the guy asking for saves, I'm fairly sure that will get you banned from this site.

I call BS on this vid he is doing something in the game that is not being shown.I spent 5 hrs trying it with 100s of attempts even landed up there twice with a drop of a couple of feet only to die.It could even be a modded vid.This achievements sucks,thanks bungie.So glad microsoft gave you the boot.

• 2 months later...
I call BS on this vid he is doing something in the game that is not being shown.I spent 5 hrs trying it with 100s of attempts even landed up there twice with a drop of a couple of feet only to die.It could even be a modded vid.This achievements sucks,thanks bungie.So glad microsoft gave you the boot.

Hahah. This isnt BS.. Like I said in the video, I was VERY lucky to get up there on my 6th try. It was about the 4th time on the level and I had used up over 70 GIGs of data recording. Its not BS. It just takes time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this, finally got the damned Scarab Gun with this method. I couldn't get the Banshee to work for me at all (it loaded in the Tunnel extremely quickly for me, had no window to board the Banshee), but after setting this up I got it after 8 or so tries. So much easier than the Banshee.

Advice: Watch the video closely at 3:07 to see the positioning of the box. There should be a little bit of grate showing, try to match that the best you can. Next note where the reticle was when he fired and try to match it. Start from there (wait for a checkpoint, might not come until the scarab is well on the other side of that bridge) and begin trial and error. If you're overshooting, shoot out a little bit (seriously just a hair), and vise-versa if you're not shooting high enough.

EDIT: I must have gotten pretty lucky, I tried to recreate it to see if it was worth putting on the achievement guide instead, but couldn't get it to work with me. Got close a few times but it was pretty varied.

Edited by Veedrock

• 1 month later...
I can pick up the skull. I exit out as shown in the video and do exactly as shown. HOWEVER it seems that the skull isn't activated for me. It will not work at all. I simply die.

Actually I think the fact that you're dying signals the skull is active; as long as you're not firing at your feet you shouldn't die from the rocket alone (just take damage), so the death is coming from that box doing something odd.

But a bit of good news, I can relate to the experience! The same thing happened to me my first few attempts, no matter where I aimed my shot I would just die. I then repositioned myself on the box (can't remember exactly where I stood on it anymore) and was able to get launch. Best I can recommend is to try that, it's definitely finicky. Try to remember the spot too, because if you flag the checkpoint while standing in a fatal spot, you'll have to re-position each time.

Edited by Veedrock

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did this achievement today using the banshee method. I did it on my laptop which has some pretty nice specs(it's a newer beefed up Alienware). Anyhow, I had major issues with the banshee disappearing the moment the loading screen came up and I can confirm that if you have good PC specs that it affects the loading time and thus affects your chance to get the achievement.

There is a workaround however:

I started by putting my computer into stealth(power saving) mode.....this is a fairly standard option on laptops that usually just involves a button press. You could adjust settings on a desktop to potentially get similar effects, but it probably isn't necessary. Anyhow....I first tried opening up 29 different random programs and loaded up the game. Doing it this way probably gave me around a tenth or two of a second before the banshee disappeared. It still wasn't enough time.

I then tried it with 59 different programs running at once(including a few fairly cpu intensive games) and got it on my first try. It's also worth mentioning that I was rather slow on boarding that try as well...so it gave a bit. Anyhow, this is just something to recommend trying and I should also mention that the amount of programs you'd need to open would vary depending on your pc specs.

Hopefully this helps someone who has wasted hours trying to do the banshee or the skull/rocket method for hours like I have and failed. On my successful go, the game was so choppy that it was barely playable....I'd imagine the worse the framerate is, the better your chances are of succeeding.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
how do you know if the skull is active?I picked it up, loaded metropolis and i just dont move at all it blows up the concrete pillar to the left.

On an attempt the other day i was getting atleast halfway to the gun now im not moving at all.

If the box is in the wrong place when you fire the rocket, it just wont do anything, as you can see when I first tried. A lot of the time its just the placement of the box, if its not just right, it wont work. It is a lot of trial and error. When I made the video, it did take a couple of hours of trying, getting angry, quitting, and then reloading the map to change the box placement.

Good luck with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...