Achievement Guide & Roadmap

bLaKgRaVy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can still use the guide in Hard Mode, the only difference I noticed b/w Easy and Hard is that the latter had a few extra actions during the final battle (Pressing Up to jump piles of gold).

I got my 1983 mode in Easy Mode with the guide turned off via the options because of the extra actions in Hard Mode

Yeah, there are a few scenes with added moves when playing on Hard (Lava Pits / Mud Men, the Giant Bat, the Black Knight on the Horse and the dragon's lair). Also, the first whirlpool in the Raging Waters scene is missing from Hard mode; don't know why. I've noted them in my walkthrough here.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Bah some reason it wont add the last 49 points on the last life have to play it all again :(

Were you playing in Arcade or Home mode?

Just unlocked "Lair King" I believe it is necessary to play in Arcade mode. I had been doing home and never got any points when Dirk said "Wow". Sure enough I was always 49 points short. Loaded up Arcade mode and it unlocked 1st try.

Yeah, ponypo confirmed that you have to play in Arcade mode.

Great guide though I had 288,494 and after he says Wow the extra points were not added.

Were you playing in Arcade or Home mode?

Thanks ponypo for verifying that you have to play in Arcade mode. I think there was a similar issue with the PS3 version of the game and it was resolved with having to play in Arcade, not Home. I've edited the guide accordingly.

I have a question. To unlock "Quest Complete" (complete the game in Hard mode), does anyone know if that has to be done with just the 5 lives or can you continue if you run out? The way I read it, as long as you complete the game on Hard, no matter how, you should unlock the achievement.

It's the only one I have left and just don't feel like going through and saving every couple of scenes ("Lair King" and "Flawless" were a pain because I saved at the beginning of every scene in case I died. A 15 minute game took twice as long).

Few tips that might Roadmap look a little better: Flip the bolds on the roadmap. Estimated Difficulty: 2/10. I'm not really sure why people have done it the opposite way. I understand many people do it this way and I may have even tried it before myself. I really think it would look better the other way :)

Another thing, can you fit the roadmap on one page?

It seems that my problem with Lair King was the sections where I choose to save the game: I had just saved the game at the end of the black knight on horse room (diving into the hole) and entered the next room with 17,283 which is the correct amount for the run I was on. I lost a life in the next room and reloaded the save, but my score had shrunk down to 10,685 (though my lives are still at 5). I then saved my game again immediately after the reload, and when I came back my score remained at 10,685- my assumption is that you have to make sure to save at the very start of each new room, rather than at the end of one.

Edit: yeah, got Lair King first try after changing where I save the game. I was originally afraid of entering a room that has a fast first action (like the spinning obstacles) so I'd save when leaving a room, but it's safer to your score to just save as you enter a new one and take a hit and reload if necessary.

Edited by Didi Mau

As long as you save before making a move/scoring in a room you should be alright as when you reload it begins you at that start of that room as though you had just entered. The only room that had a movement that I found quick enough to be problematic was the Grim Reaper room with the spinning poles as not only is the first move almost instant its also a time sensitive one.

As has been stated Lair King must be done on Easy/Arcade. Hard misses the first whirlpool, Home doesn't award points at the "wow" when entering the final scene. The missing draw bridge scene doesn't award points and the points for the Giddy Goons room are the same regardless of your route. The place where people are most likely to mess this achievement up are by leaving the falling platform early or by bodging the saving sequence in the lair.

For my Lair King run, I saved at the beginning of each and every scene, even if I knew the moves to do. I never thought about the points added, but my score never screwed up. I died maybe 4 times total, reloading each time. My score when reaching the dragon's lair was 288,543 (with the 49 points added for starting that scene), so I knew that if I did everything correctly, I would get the achievement.

Few tips that might Roadmap look a little better: Flip the bolds on the roadmap. Estimated Difficulty: 2/10. I'm not really sure why people have done it the opposite way. I understand many people do it this way and I may have even tried it before myself. I really think it would look better the other way :)

Another thing, can you fit the roadmap on one page?

In all my guides, I have always bolded the information, not the categories. I looked at your "I Am Alive" guide, which is as you suggest, and I just don't like the way it looks. But, your Jurassic Park roadmap is bolded the same way as my guide.

The roadmap categories are the same for every game, but the information changes, that's why you bold the information. At least that's what I believe.

Also, if you look at actual published guides, the information is bolded and the roadmap categories aren't.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'm going to keep it the way it is.

I'll see about putting the roadmap in one post.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Any thoughts on this?

I played on Easy/Arcade, saved at the beginning of each area, and reloaded after dying, so I had 5 lives at the final scene. I exited the platform on the third or ninth ledges as appropriate.

Yet somehow my score was only 285,288 when I got the dragon's lair. I have no idea why it is not optimal.

EDIT: Well, I got it on a second run through. I wish I knew what happened that first time.

Edited by HamKet

I have no idea what was wrong, although I do think it was one of the platforms. On your first run, did you jump off twice at the 3rd ledge and twice at the 9th ledge? There's two of each (both mirrored). It's a difference of 3,255, which is the amount of points awarded if you jump off at the 9th ledge. Maybe you jumped off at the 6th and thought it was the 9th, but that difference is exactly how many points you were short. That's probably it.

Go here to check it out if you're interested:

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/related/score/dl/easy.asp

I'm consistently reaching Singe with 285288 despite not missing a beat. I've only saved at the elevator scenes and made sure to jump off of those at the very last floor. I don't understand why I'm not getting there with 288543 for the life of me.

I'm consistently reaching Singe with 285288 despite not missing a beat. I've only saved at the elevator scenes and made sure to jump off of those at the very last floor. I don't understand why I'm not getting there with 288543 for the life of me.

Reached Singe with 285288 twice now as well. Also made sure to jump off elevator on the last floors.

I did notice both times it skips the opening drawbridge scene? :confused:

Reached Singe with 285288 twice now as well. Also made sure to jump off elevator on the last floors.

I did notice both times it skips the opening drawbridge scene? :confused:

It always skips that scene on Arcade, but it isn't worth any points anyway.

But Home tallies points inconsistently and Hard is missing the first scene from Ye Whirlpools which is why we have to do it on Easy Arcade anyway.

Just can't fathom why it's always 285288.

Unfortunately there are quite a few moves that could account for the missing 3255 points (I'm not even going to consider the possibilities of combined move scores). The scene/room will always occur on one of the numbers in the three number sequence xx/xx/xx, bold moves are ones that award the missing 3255 points.

• Falling Platform (Three Floors) - 4/17/30 - Leaving the platform (L) at any of the three floors awards 3255 points so you can't possibly miss these.
  • Cauldron Room - 8/21/34 - U, S, D, S, R
  • Giddy Goons - 9/22/35 - S, R, S (or U), U
  • Pool Room - 10/23/36 - L, U, R, U, L, U, S, R, U
  • Pool Room (Mirrored) - 10/23/36 - R, U, L, U, R, U, S, L, U
  • Throne Room - 12/25/38 - R, R. R. R
  • Falling Platform (Nine Floors) - 13/26 - Again, as long as you move off the platform these points are awarded.
  • Dragon's Lair - 39 - L, L, L, L, L, R, U, S, S, U, S

Try again and pay particular attention to those rooms. If you're still short let me know if your score is different and I'll try and narrow it down some more.

Unfortunately there are quite a few moves that could account for the missing 3255 points (I'm not even going to consider the possibilities of combined move scores). The scene/room will always occur on one of the numbers in the three number sequence xx/xx/xx, bold moves are ones that award the missing 3255 points.

• Falling Platform (Three Floors) - 4/17/30 - Leaving the platform (L) at any of the three floors awards 3255 points so you can't possibly miss these.
  • Cauldron Room - 8/21/34 - U, S, D, S, R
  • Giddy Goons - 9/22/35 - S, R, S (or U), U
  • Pool Room - 10/23/36 - L, U, R, U, L, U, S, R, U
  • Pool Room (Mirrored) - 10/23/36 - R, U, L, U, R, U, S, L, U
  • Throne Room - 12/25/38 - R, R. R. R
  • Falling Platform (Nine Floors) - 13/26 - Again, as long as you move off the platform these points are awarded.
  • Dragon's Lair - 39 - L, L, L, L, L, R, U, S, S, U, S

Try again and pay particular attention to those rooms. If you're still short let me know if your score is different and I'll try and narrow it down some more.

I see where you are going with this. The problem I see here is that all the scenes are *required* moves to complete that scene, so there is no way they can miss getting those points; if you don't do those moves, you die. For the platforms, according to the scoring chart, if it's the 3-ledge scene, you could jump off at the first or second ledge and still get the 3255 points. Same with the 9-ledge; jump off at the 7th or 8th and get the required points (again, according to the scoring chart, which was made from the original arcade cabinet version, so it might be incorrect for the consoles. You may have to jump off at the actual third and ninth ledges).

My suggestion is to save at the beginning of each platform scene, hell, save at the beginning of every scene (in case you die). Let it fall past the third ledge, and if it continues, great, jump off at the NINTH ledge (not the 7th or 8th). If it doesn't continue, reload and jump off at the THIRD ledge (not the 1st or 2nd). This is how I got Lair King on my first try; I saved at the beginning of each and every scene, even if I knew the moves. Make sure you are playing on Easy and Arcade!

There was a similar debate on PS3T.org in their guide forum about this very thing. I don't think they ever came up with a final solution for the dilemma, but here's the link regardless.

PS3T.org Trophy Guide

My suggestion is to save at the beginning of each platform scene, hell, save at the beginning of every scene (in case you die). Let it fall past the third ledge, and if it continues, great, jump off at the NINTH ledge (not the 7th or 8th). If it doesn't continue, reload and jump off at the THIRD ledge (not the 1st or 2nd). This is how I got Lair King on my first try; I saved at the beginning of each and every scene, even if I knew the moves. Make sure you are playing on Easy and Arcade!

See, this is exactly what I did on my first playthrough. I saved at the beginning of each scene, and for the platform scenes, I let Dirk die so I knew when to get off the platform, then reloaded and got off at the right time. And yet I got to the lair with 285,288.

On my second attempt, I got to Singe with the correct amount of points, and yet, I really didn't do anything differently. The only change was the fact that I used the arcade overlay on my first play, but not my second. Though I don't see how that would make a difference.

It's all very odd, even more so since others seem to have the same problem.

I've done three or four play thrus of this over the weekend in an attempt to get Lair King following the guide, and I keep being 49 points short. I triple checked my settings each time and they were all correct (on easy/arcade/controller). What's weird is all my points will match what they are supposed to for the 5 deaths at the dragon, being 49 points short only shows up at the very last life when I kill the dragon (427,420 instead of 427,469). I've been doing it with move guide off, just out of habit from my first play thru, so I'm going to try it again with the move guide on just to see if that helps. Any suggestions?

-foot

I've done three or four play thrus of this over the weekend in an attempt to get Lair King following the guide, and I keep being 49 points short. I triple checked my settings each time and they were all correct (on easy/arcade/controller). What's weird is all my points will match what they are supposed to for the 5 deaths at the dragon, being 49 points short only shows up at the very last life when I kill the dragon (427,420 instead of 427,469). I've been doing it with move guide off, just out of habit from my first play thru, so I'm going to try it again with the move guide on just to see if that helps. Any suggestions?

-foot

Are you sure you're in Arcade Mode (selected at the new game screen), having the arcade cabinet overlay turned on from settings is not the same and those 49 points can only really be the ones that are missed in Home Mode.

Are you sure you're in Arcade Mode (selected at the new game screen), having the arcade cabinet overlay turned on from settings is not the same and those 49 points can only really be the ones that are missed in Home Mode.

Absolutely positive that it's on "Arcade" not the console overlay.