Book of Fables guide

Asturgis

If you're missing any of the entries, check this and you should be fine. There will be a lot of rewinding though, or exit and choose to continue your game after you make a choice you do not like. All the other entries will be unlocked during the story.

If you want to get everything right the first time around and exit and reload a couple times only, you can read this "guide" before playing but understand that it is FULL OF SPOILERS. ;)

1) Do not stop Snow's eulogy. Let her speak by choosing A and use that time to check the Troll altar on the left to unlock Vivian's entry by reading her card. Do it fast because as soon as Snow is finished, the story will move on, removing you from the altar forcibly.

2) Visit Crane's place first by clicking Y at the end of Part 3 when Bigby has to choose where to look for the witch. Enter the flat, go to the left room, his office, and check the Headless Horsman's statue on Crane's desk for the related entry.

3) Now go to the Tweedles office. Tell Flycatcher the truth about what the brothers did. When he understands he's been wrong about them, he'll show you the basement door. Open it with the key hidden in the cigar box. Downstairs, BE NICE to him and tell him to ask Snow for a job, or any choice that gets him a job, to unlock his entry.

4) Choose to burn the tree at Auntie Greenleaf's apartment in Part 5 to unlock the related entry. Take Snow's side to get the option to burn the tree. If you refuse to side with Snow once, you will still get a second chance to revise your judgment and burn the tree.

5) If you're missing the Glamour Tube entry, reload and choose NOT to burn the tree in Greenleaf's apartment.

That's all you should be missing ;) Thanks to Xtabay and Ravenhood.

Also, please remember that you do not have to replay everything. When rewinding, you can just choose another save file, remake your choices going BACKWARDS, then when you have your achievement reload your clean save and voilà, your Book of Fables entries will still all be there since they're saved automatically and you'll be ready for the next Episode. :p

Edited by Asturgis

I'm playing this episode right now, I'll update if this is an accurate guide to follow. I'm likely not going to be a dick to Greenleaf, but I'll rewind and try that part to see if the achievement unlocks then.

EDIT: Okay, so, much harder not to be horrible to Greenleaf than I thought. Really not a big fan of her. And I'm in the midst of altering my choice to burn the tree in another file. But, Asturgis, are you sure you meant 'you just can't side with Snow'? Because siding with her is how you burn the tree. So long as you burn it, you unlock the entry.

Also, in order to get Flycatcher, you simply need to offer him the job. How you do so isn't necessarily important, as I only told him that Bluebeard lied about Bigby having sent him to investigate.

Edited by Ravenhood

You won't get all the books by following the guide; the part about Greenleaf's apartment is a bit wrong. It doesn't matter whether you side with Snow or not, there are just two options that make a difference:

1. Burn the tree, gives you the Glamour Tree entry

2. Refuse to burn it, gives you the Glamour Tube entry

So the Glamour Tube is what Malex is missing. You'll have to rewind to get it.

You won't get all the books by following the guide; the part about Greenleaf's apartment is a bit wrong. It doesn't matter whether you side with Snow or not, there are just two options that make a difference:

1. Burn the tree, gives you the Glamour Tree entry

2. Refuse to burn it, gives you the Glamour Tube entry

So the Glamour Tube is what Malex is missing. You'll have to rewind to get it.

It's not wrong, it matters if you side with Snow since you have to agree with her to burn the tree.

IMO, the Glamour Tube entry just comes from picking it on the desk and revealing Greenleaf during the story, but I may be wrong, I couldn't check if every entry unlocked exactly after which choice 3 playthroughs in a row… I did it twice as best as I could. I'll add a sentence in my post in case people are missing this entry too and it really comes from not burning the tree.

@Ravenhood: yes, thank you, I wrote "can't" instead of "can" ;) Maybe choosing something else than asking Snow also gives a job to Flycatcher, I don't know. Again, I couldn't possibly try every combination, I'm just providing one way. That doesn't mean it's the only one, though ;)

Edited by Asturgis

IMO, the Glamour Tube entry just comes from picking it on the desk and revealing Greenleaf during the story, but I may be wrong, I couldn't check if every entry unlocked exactly after which choice 3 playthroughs in a row… I did it twice as best as I could. I'll add a sentence in my post in case people are missing this entry too and it really comes from not burning the tree.

You can't actually progress in the story without picking it up from the desk and revealing Greenleaf... So it doesn't make sense for people to be missing that entry, if it came automatically with the story, right?

I played through that sequence three times, and the only way to get the Glamour Tube entry is to NOT burn the tree. That's the key to it.

Oh, didn't actually notice you edited... It's all good, I wasn't looking to be credited but thanks nonetheless :) Just trying to save people some time with that part, got bored myself trying to repeat that Greenleaf chapter & not really knowing what I was missing there...

I understand, I was just trying to provide a sure way to unlock every entry and it doesn't seem like it, but testing every combo until you get a logical trend, like agreeing with someone for an entire conversation to get a choice at the end, and checking when the entry unlocks exactly takes a long time. Proof is I did it twice paying real attention and still missed one :(

Plus, it's not necessary to find every possible path, just one that works, so when I saw telling Flycatcher to ask Snow for a job worked, I didn't reload to try the other 3 possibilities, you know? I just wrote that one.

It's a quick and easy game, I just did this pseudo """guide""" because it's likely that no one will make a real achievement guide and roadmap ;) I know it's nowhere near perfect, but it really doesn't need to be.

I have played through this once and am missing three, so just so I'm clear:

the first missable entry is at the beginning when you have to choose whether or not to let Snow finish talking, the next are that you get two out of three (flycatcher, trip trap, headless horseman) unless you do not choose the trip trap in which case it will force you there after the other two, and the last is the glamour tube (do not burn tree) and glamour tree (do burn tree). :confused:

Edited by Knaussenheimer

You're welcome Thai J ;) I honestly don't see how I can make it clearer. If I say "Burn the tree to get the related entry", it means the entry related to the tree. It's called an antecedent. I know this isn't my first language, but come on… :(

I wrote, and I quote :

1) "Check the Troll altar to unlock Vivian's entry".

2) "Check the Horseman's statue for the related entry".

3) "Tell Flycatcher to ask Snow for a job to unlock his entry."

4) "Burn the tree for the related entry".

5) "Do not burn the tree to unlock the Glamour Tube".

How is any of this confusing ??? :confused:

(Breathe…) (Breathe…) (Breathe…) :p

You are all super welcomed. No need to thank me for such a small guide ;)

@SIMPLYMIDGET: I see you're at 159 completed games. I just reached 152 :p Congrats, man!

@Skorpion XBA: always a pleasure bro ;) Off-topic, I see your team is called "Black Mesa", is it because you're from Arizona? If so, my best friend too, he used to be in Casa Grande but he's back in Mesa now. I could introduce you, he's a good player. Cheers.

Edited by Asturgis

You are all super welcomed. No need to thank me for such a small guide ;)

@SIMPLYMIDGET: I see you're at 159 completed games. I just reached 152 :p Congrats, man!

@Skorpion XBA: always a pleasure bro ;) Off-topic, I see your team is called "Black Mesa", is it because you're from Arizona? If so, my best friend too, he used to be in Casa Grande but he's back in Mesa now. I could introduce you, he's a good player. Cheers.

Lol, not quite. We had to choose a fictional place from a game to represent in the VGO. Half-Life just happens to take place in Black Mesa. I actually reside in VA.

I believe a "thank you" is appropriate. The guide may be small, but it saved me loads of headaches and frustration. :)

On a minor note: I have 242 completions. :p

@kushlash23: congrats on the newborn, man. I'm pretty sure he will definitely NOT agree to let you play in peace LOL ;) But it doesn't require much attention anyway, except the last 5 minutes which have a lot of button pushing.

@Skorpion XBA: I am very ashamed :( I am 36, I have played pretty much every J-RPG ever made, which took most of my time pre-360, and I have hence missed a few masterpieces like the Half-Life series. I know it's supposed to be spectacular, sadly, I have never played it :( As for your gamerscore, you're just a machine :p I would be pleased if you added me here and on Live ;) Maybe we can help each other down the line.

Are you guys FABLES fans? Or comic-books fans? For a french, I have always been in love with american pop culture and have been reading at least 20 titles every month for the past 24 years, including FABLES and FAIREST, which I highly recommend. It's a new FABLES spin-off starring all the girls from the series in their own adventures. Gorgeous. As good as Scalped, Northlanders or American Vampire.

Thank you all for your kind words. It's weird, I have written a lot of guides here, and it is the first time I see people this polite. Makes me believe in this community again.

Edited by Asturgis

@Skorpion XBA: I am very ashamed :( I am 36, I have played pretty much every J-RPG ever made, which took most of my time pre-360, and I have hence missed a few masterpieces like the Half-Life series. I know it's supposed to be spectacular, sadly, I have never played it :( As for your gamerscore, you're just a machine :p I would be pleased if you added me here and on Live ;) Maybe we can help each other down the line.

I've only barely played the game and it was so long ago that I don't really remember it. :/

I'm a machine with my GS? LOL I'm only a few hundred points behind you so what does that say about you? ;)

Thank you all for your kind words. It's weird, I have written a lot of guides here, and it is the first time I see people this polite. Makes me believe in this community again.

I've had mostly good experiences on the site. Maybe you've just ran into the wrong people?

Edited by Skorpion XBA

I've had mostly good experiences on the site. Maybe you've just ran into the wrong people?

I agree. The users in these forums are normally very helpful and polite. There for a while there were a few bad apples that acted as if they owned the site and treated people rudely but lately I see very little of that.

I told Flycatcher to ask Snow for a job and I didn't unlock his entry.

Did you do as I wrote and helped him understand who the Tweedles really were? Did he seem more helpful after understanding they're thugs? Stopped harassing you with his "They're really good guys" crap? Did you treat him properly or were you an ass to him? If you're nice to him, explain things to him and offer him a job, he should say something like "Wow, really? I don't know what to say… Thank you, Bigsby." Or something like that. It should unlock properly if you do that. :confused:

As far as bad apples go, I don't want to start an off-topic debate. ;)

@Skorpion XBA, it wasn't because of your gamerscore that you're a machine, it's your completion rate! Very impressive. ;)

If all of you guys haven't read FABLES or tried FAIREST, you really should. Excellent comics. Plus, you get to see if Bigsby gets to finally score with Snow, or not :p (Is it just me or did Telltale Games make her really hot in this series? Even more than "Beauty", actually lol).

Edited by Asturgis

actually you need to NOT offer flycatcher a job. when you're talking to him, say "not my problem" then you leave the office without going to the basement and you get the book.

that's how i got it anyway. i never went to any basement and NOT offer him a job

This is the guide i used

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2014/04/08/the-wolf-among-us-episode-3-book-of-fables-locations-guide.htm

Edited by Daniel55645