This Game vs. TMNT: Out of the Shadows

This TMNT game is geared a lot more to the young fans of the new Nickelodeon show it is based on. It plays a good deal like the classic Turtle arcade games beat 'em ups, with simple combat against wave after wave of enemies. Since it was made with kids in mind and it wasn't designed to eat quarters as quickly as possible, it isn't nearly as difficult.

If you're a fan of TMNT or the old beat 'em ups of the late '80s and '90s it's worth renting and very easy achievements are a plus. The production values are pretty lousy though - my main gripe is your attacks don't feel like they have any real "ompfh!" to them. I've also had some game freezes and there's sound effect and voice glitches. This TMNT game has the lack of polish that most tie in games have and it's really short for a retail game, so I wouldn't recommend buying it, gamefly or rent it instead.

Out of the Shadows has pretty robust combo and combat systems. You can't get by on just mashing buttons like in this TMNT game. The achievements are going to be harder to get, but are certainly doable. Out of the Shadows also has some really bad bugs though - game freezes, getting stuck in walls due to weird clipping errors, etc. and also has a rushed and lack of polish feeling. If you don't mind putting up with these issues I think Out of the Shadows is worth checking out and downloading.

If you grew up with TMNT, are a new young fan of the turtles, or are looking for decent co-op experiences these are serviceable for a little while but not great. It's a shame too because this franchise deserves a real AAA retail game. I think the best turtles game on 360 is still Turtles in Time Reshelled on XBLA.

Edited by Ace Attorney 86

This game is pure fucking garbage. The voices sounds like they talking tru blown speakers. The game freezes up when you get a cheevo. I only played the trial of the arcade game. As a turtles fan I don't think we will EVER get a good retail game!!! I bought this game because it was cheap and my kiddos love the cartoons. The only plus to this is the easy completion. Rent or gamefly for sure.

This game has really grown on me. I only played the demo of OOTS and I hated it and stopped within minutes. This one, however, is a fun little game. It's not a masterpiece and can be repetitive but it's a beat-em-up and there aren't many of those these days. The levels aren't too long which is good for this type of game. I would recommend this game, by far, but just wait for a price drop for it and don't go expecting a GOTY or anything. It's very fun if you grew up with these types of games.

• 6 months later...

Hum... so mixed opinion...

Personally i liked TMNT 1989 Arcade, would had love they release the other games in that vein from the SNES

I tough Turtle in Time remake was ok, but oh god butchered compared to the original....

TMNT (based on the cartoon movie) was pretty bad... so simple and easy.... was a 4 hours rental

TMNT OOTS had some potentials... but it was lacking something to me, i stop playing it middle... i will surely get back to it but i dunno, i was hoping for more...

So where does this new game would rank for me? I love the turtles... i remember there was at least one nice solid game on the original xbox me and a friend had fun on...

• 2 years later...