Get all the gold skins in under an hour

Chaos2Keres

I thought since there is some confusion in the other thread, I thought of making a post with a step guide on how to get all your gold weapons in under an hour. I did this myself so I know it works but credit goes to whoever discovered the prize box glitch and dkykong for the information in his thread.

1) Go into your HDD and remove the Player Data file from it. I personally moved this onto the Cloud storage since I don’t have USB and don’t want to delete things like just in case but up to you.

2) Clear the cache of your HDD and disable your net connection by unplugging it. I suppose you can just disconnect when in the game but I prefer it this way.

3) Start the game and when you get to the Main Menu, you should be on Level 1 with all your campaign status intact.

4) Select the last act chapter 4 (The Courthouse, Northern Entrance) and you will start near a balcony with a tripwire gun. Fire all the bullets of it across the room on the column to the left of the door (where the enemies come from). Fire it at an angle so it stretches across the door. When enemies die, you will get the ribbons for the kills. You can also throw frags and get multikills for more ribbons.

5) Once the enemies are dead from the tripwires/frags, restart the section. I didnt need to continue with the level to the checkpoint, the ribbon counter must update instantly. Keep repeating the section until you get 50 ribbons and get your rare box.

6) Once you have your box, don’t restart section. Instead go to Options then Storage Location. Once the storage locations load up, hit b to cancel out. Once back in the menu, you will be prompted that you haven’t got a save location, do you want to pick one or continue on. Click B to continiue on. Go back and then restart section. What happens is that the section you just did (where you got your box) isn’t saved so the counter is back to before 50, however, the box you got is saved in your character setup.

7) Repeat the section, get your box and repeat the storage location process to keep getting boxes. As a note, if you repeat a section and don’t get a box because you didn’t get enough ribbon (e.g you are on 45 ribbons and only get 4), don’t do the storage process, just repeat the section straight away so you save your counter closer to 50.

8) Once you repeated enough times to your fancy (I did it 20 times but do what you want), quit out and check out your prize box page. You will see all the boxes in there. Do not open them yet.

9) Plug your net connection back in and log back onto live. You will be prompted to download the title update, do so. Once you are logged back in, your stats should be updated back to your original stats and you should still have all the boxes. Open them all up and you should get all the gold skins. If not, simply repeat the process.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Chaos2Keres

What I was doing with this glitch originally (before the TU) was playing this exact section until I got the checkpoint THEN I restarted the section, since if you restart before the checkpoint, nothing will be saved. Am I correct in thinking that?

Only when I had enough ribbons for the Rare box I did the storage thing and restarted last checkpoint without reaching the checkpoint, got 30-40 ribbons, and then just quit the game. Rare boxes saved, just like in the original video.

So for your Step 5, do you have to reach the checkpoint first THEN restart the section (if I'm nowhere near 50 ribbons yet), or just get the kills with the Tripwire then restart? I would think you need to reach the checkpoint for everything to save (until you are closer to 50 ribbons).

I hope I'm making myself clear on this. Just want to make sure the steps are correct for anyone else wondering about this. :)

You should mention right at the end to save your game to your hard drive when you're done grinding and about to leave.

When I started the game offline, I picked the HDD to create a new player data file, did all bits and when I turned on live, downloaded the TU and picked HDD, it resynced the file back to your proper stats (with the boxes still in the list)

For step 5, I restarted it as soon as I got tripwire/frag kills, even of there was still enemies at that point. It was saving fine without the need of a checkpoint so the saving might just be campaign progress while ribbons update instantly.

Well damn, my grinding took longer than it should have, then. I thought for the ribbons and kills to save, you had to reach a checkpoint. Fuck me.

On the bright side, I was averaging 10-12 ribbons in that section per checkpoint, instead of the 2-5 just for doing the Tripwire kills. I guess the time works out about the same, then.

Thanks for the info and the method! I personally don't need Rare boxes as I have everything, but would like to get Normal and Epic when I have some time. Anyone know what level the first Epic box is awarded on? The Epic forums say every 5 levels (http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/945359-Prize-Box-Requirements), just want to confirm. The first Normal box is awarded after the first 100 kills. I could just do what I need to do and keep repeating the steps of deleting my player data every time if it doesn't take a long time.

A great method to add to the tripwire is grab the grenades at the top behind the pillar (to the right of where the tripwire bows are) and get as many Special Deliveries when the 2 e-holes open up.

Well damn, my grinding took longer than it should have, then. I thought for the ribbons and kills to save, you had to reach a checkpoint. Fuck me.

On the bright side, I was averaging 10-12 ribbons in that section per checkpoint, instead of the 2-5 just for doing the Tripwire kills. I guess the time works out about the same, then.

Thanks for the info and the method! I personally don't need Rare boxes as I have everything, but would like to get Normal and Epic when I have some time. Anyone know what level the first Epic box is awarded on? The Epic forums say every 5 levels (http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/945359-Prize-Box-Requirements), just want to confirm. The first Normal box is awarded after the first 100 kills. I could just do what I need to do and keep repeating the steps of deleting my player data every time if it doesn't take a long time.

You get your first Epic Box at level 2, the problem is it's only awarded at the scoreboard in between levels, you can get it a little earlier than that by doing the select storage device -> B -> B after getting a rare box and it'll give it to you then but...you'll be at level 2 now and won't be able to get it again till the next reward level which is 5 I think. You'd probably be in for a long grind getting the epic boxes.

Edited by scmark15

You get your first Epic Box at level 2, the problem is it's only awarded at the scoreboard in between levels, you can get it a little earlier than that by doing the select storage device -> B -> B after getting a rare box and it'll give it to you then but...you'll be at level 2 now and won't be able to get it again till the next reward level which is 5 I think. You'd probably be in for a long grind getting the epic boxes.

A quicker way to get Epic boxes, since they're awarded at Level 2, is to just keep doing this "glitch" over and over again. It's not hard at all to get to Level 2, especially the XP you get from ribbons.

Delete/move your player data, start the game and select a chapter/section to grind, get to Level 2 (easiest with getting ribbons) and get an Epic box. Reconnect so the box saves (just like the Rare ones). Then delete/move your player data again, go back offline again and keep repeating.

It's the same process as getting Rare boxes outlined above (but you have to keep reconnecting and deleting/moving your data), just that instead of getting 50 ribbons, you're only getting to Level 2, which would technically be quicker. You probably would only have to play once or twice to level up as opposed to reloading the checkpoint 10 times for 50 ribbons.

Seems like that would work?

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

ok i followed the method and got my prize boxes and when i reconnected to live it still says im lvl 2 when i should be a reup 3 lvl 30 also all my campaign ribbons and onyx medals are all reset as well... did i get reset completely?

edit: luckly i back my player data onto a USB and when i selected to load from the usb and not the HDD i got my lvl and all my stats back along with all the prize boxes i had got so i would advise everyone and anyone to back up your player data and not just delete it

Edited by MINKISS

This works 100% but I urge everyone to make a back-up of their Player Data. I got reset and reverted to my old Player Data and I still got to keep my Prizeboxes and I got and extra Epic Prizebox for hitting 10 after I got reset.

Thanks for the step by step guide.

A question about cloud saves. Don't they at some point sync up to your hard drive save? If you were to use cloud but then get reset would the cloud save get synced up to your reset save?

Just a heads up for others as well. I've noticed 2 achievement related glitches after doing this once. The counter for play 10 matches on blood drive (an achievement I already have) has reset and is now counting back up to 10 also my wins on overrun towards 10 wins are no longer counting, I had 6/10 and after winning another I still have 6/10. Hopefully when I win 5 more it will continue counting. Don't know though, hopefully it didn't glitch completely.

Edited by thenutman69321

Takes quite a while just to get one box but this is much better than earning a ton legit to get a rare box when you're at a high level. Thanks for the step by step guide. The titles a little misleading though it would take you far more than an hour to get all the gold skins if you started with none. Although I guess if you're using this method you're probably already a high level and have most of the skins already. Even still there's only 5 things left for me to pull out of rare boxes and that alone will almost certainly take me more than an hour with this method. It took me 15 minutes maybe more to earn one box.

Once you earn one box you can earn another box in less than a minute though, so you can easily get all rare skins in an hour.

Kinda piss me off they almost handle them free more or less to noobs(since they are gonna unluck boxes like crazy) and us the vets who played the game have to go 1000 ribbons between boxes... :mad:

Then there is the people that cheat to get them faster... wich im not sure if i should be mad at or just understand considering the crazy ammount it takes to get them...

I have 5 rare boxes left to get the gold armor... and i REALLY hope its gonna be in the next one... cause doing 1000 f'n ribbons is atrociously long and i want to clear that achievement up.

If epic had decency they would make the gold unlucks the first one to pop...

Well, it has always (no matter what game you play) taken more XP each time you level up to get to the next level, so why would this be any different? Be better at the game, you'll get more stuff. That's the way it ALWAYS has been. Get better at the game. With all the talk you do about it, I would expect that you are one of the world's leaders in playing Gears.

I pity you, Destro.

Kinda piss me off they almost handle them free more or less to noobs(since they are gonna unluck boxes like crazy) and us the vets who played the game have to go 1000 ribbons between boxes... :mad:

Then there is the people that cheat to get them faster... wich im not sure if i should be mad at or just understand considering the crazy ammount it takes to get them...

I have 5 rare boxes left to get the gold armor... and i REALLY hope its gonna be in the next one... cause doing 1000 f'n ribbons is atrociously long and i want to clear that achievement up.

So you came into a thread that explains how to get what you need in 1 hour, to complain that it takes you a long time to unlock boxes?

You're a strange individual. That's not an insult btw, just an observation.

So you came into a thread that explains how to get what you need in 1 hour, to complain that it takes you a long time to unlock boxes?

You're a strange individual. That's not an insult btw, just an observation.

First its some of cheat, wich i don't really like personally, but the killer for me is no way im risking my rank and medals and stuff to do that... hell i was not even signing guest on my account since GOW2 in fear of resets. I never got resets too btw so me being carefull seem to work. So i won't risk everything for saving some time.

Well, it has always (no matter what game you play) taken more XP each time you level up to get to the next level, so why would this be any different? Be better at the game, you'll get more stuff. That's the way it ALWAYS has been. Get better at the game. With all the talk you do about it, I would expect that you are one of the world's leaders in playing Gears.

I pity you, Destro.

I am aproaching the 1000 kills this week on GOWJ wich i consider a fair ammount. World leader...? maybe not because sorry i got a life, but i play this game a lot and i know i will eventually get every boxes and all... after all the game is just 5 months old... It just that i would like to put aside the achievements as quickly as possible.

Also yes the more your rank up the more time it take, but the patch made it that a noob will have every boxes probably by the end of the first prestige... including the gold stuff. While us the vets that leveled up and got a shit ton of those dumb XP boxes(200-400 xp.. WOW :drunk) now have to play so much to get one single boxe.

It take me around 4000 kills for a normal prize box, and if i play exclusively multiplayer it can take up to 1 month to get just one... gladly i have already the gold weapon skins so i don't mind much those. But the ribbons... i need over 1000 ribbons per boxe now... 1000 FN ribbons... considering i get around 10 ribbons per game, sometimes more if i mark more, sometimes less when some games don't go as good, well its still 10 games for 100, so yup 100 games for 1000, thats a whole fn lot...

So if they would be cool, they would just make the gold skin armor pop first, then i wouldn't mind much the rest really.

• 3 weeks later...
Also yes the more your rank up the more time it take, but the patch made it that a noob will have every boxes probably by the end of the first prestige

I guess I'm a noob although I've played all the GoW games I've never been extremely good at them. I only opened 1 box for XP before they changed it. I just hit my 3rd prestige and I still have 4 things left to pull out of prizeboxes.

• 4 weeks later...

you sir are HILLARIOUS!! damn yr ass! why calling everybody noobs or cheaters? I call them smart ^^ why wasting mnths of time if you could do it easily??! I did it also the first week and 'm not a noob, so why freaking out we're cheaters you bloody moroon, I played freaking lot gears3, had 1 of the 1st the magic ser3.0, have 40 onyx medals more then a level 1, do YOu really think if I have a chance to have a silly dlc achievo on judge faster ,not gonna use it? again you're hillarious! in my opinion yr the freaking noob BRO! now go suck a nipple! ps I REALLY hope you get yr golden armor on the last box LMFAO ;D Edited by M0rpheus

Houray for the reply to a message nearly a month ago :woop:

Seriously you guys make me laugh... if you read my post carefully i said

I was not even attacking anybody and even mention as normally i am against cheat, in that specific situation the game is unfair to the vets that opened up a tons of boxes prior to the patch so i would understand the people doing that.

BUT don't hide your head in the sand... cause YES ITS CHEATING, you are manipulating your save to get more boxes than you should and after that you get your past level back...

Is that justify in this particular case since the game is unfair? YES ! But its still cheating...

Everytime there is a negative word like cheating, people get upset and aggressive even tough would they admit it or not, they actually DO CHEAT. In some case tough it can be understandable. For exemple if you lost your lev 100 on GOW2 due to save being erased and you cheated to get it back, was it cheating? YES, but it was a justify cheating since the game cheated ON YOU ! by removing it.

Anyway... I bet im writing all of this again for nothing as most of the time people don't even understand the subtilities of my post... :drunk

EDIT : And the "Noob", i was actually meaning real noobs. If you picked the game last week, you are a noob, even tough it sound "BAD" (again refering to what i said about negative words). And its normal, we where all noobs at some point.

Noob : A person that is NEW on the game. This is the real definition, people just use it as a pejorative word to call somebody bad these days, but in fact yes if you pick the game last week, you are a noob, a newb, a newbie, a beginner, a new guy, call it whatever you want. And therefore you can get a bunch of boxes with good stuff because of that.

Edited by Destro