Helpful Tips

wright3034

I beat the game on normal how do I get thewe Inf rocket launcher for pro mode and the typewriter gun?

Sorry to tell you the bad news, you have to play through PRO MODE to unlock it.

If you've played it on NORMAL the NEW GAME+ option is only available for your next Normal-run. As soon as you start the Professional mode you'll start from scratch.

The only good thing is, if you finished SEPERATE WAYS you can unlock the Special Costumes #2 which gives you the Knight Armor for Ashley. You can use it for your Pro-run.

As for the Chicago Typewriter: Finish the scenario Assignment Ada!

Edited by JuSt BLaZe

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the US version (on Normal/first play through) and beat Assignment Ada, started up a new game on Professional and got to the first merchant but he isn't selling the Chicago Typewriter?

Just was wondering at what point are you able to purchase it, because I thought it unlocked it for either version (Normal/Professional) after beating Assignment Ada?

I just finished the US version (on Normal/first play through) and beat Assignment Ada, started up a new game on Professional and got to the first merchant but he isn't selling the Chicago Typewriter?

Just was wondering at what point are you able to purchase it, because I thought it unlocked it for either version (Normal/Professional) after beating Assignment Ada?

Huh weird. Ok well since it's not available at the merchant I guess you have to really start the PROFESSIONAL MODE from scratch, no cheating this time. After that it will be available.

Huh weird. Ok well since it's not available at the merchant I guess you have to really start the PROFESSIONAL MODE from scratch, no cheating this time. After that it will be available.

Ah gotcha, because after reading the post above:

*Snip*

As for the Chicago Typewriter: Finish the scenario Assignment Ada!

It didn't seem quite clear that you had to do a run-through on Pro to unlock the Chicago Typewriter, since I thought it was a separate file/system save after beating Assignment Ada.

So then I guess another question would be after beating it on Pro, would you then again have to beat Assignment Ada to unlock the Chicago Typewriter to be used on that difficulty?

Just really tired, but it doesn't make sense that beating Separate Ways would allow you to use the special costume #2 on Pro but Assignment Ada wouldn't unlock the typewriter. :confused:

It didn't seem quite clear that you had to do a run-through on Pro to unlock the Chicago Typewriter, since I thought it was a separate file/system save after beating Assignment Ada.

So then I guess another question would be after beating it on Pro, would you then again have to beat Assignment Ada to unlock the Chicago Typewriter to be used on that difficulty?

I know quite strange isn't it. Well if you beat PRO you can load up your "Cleared Game" file and check what the merchant has to offer. Then you will know if you have to run through Assignment Ada again. Let me/us know! ;)

Just to let you guys know, you don't get the Chicago Typewriter from either beating the regular game on Pro or for finishing Assignment Ada. Finishing Assignment Ada will unlock the gun to buy and use in Seperate Ways. Finishing Seperate Ways will unlock it for purchase and use in the regular game (you don't need to finish Assignment Ada for it if you just want to use it in the regular game). You still need to be on round 2 for the particular save you're wanting to buy it on though.

In the original Gamecube version you get it in the regular game by clearing Assignment Ada, but that's because there's no such thing as Seperate Ways on the GC version.

Also, it costs 1 million pesetas. Though I believe it's bought fully upgraded.

For the Handcannon, it costs nothing to purchase from the Merchant once unlocked although it starts without upgrades and is rather useless. Ammo capacity of 3. Doesn't use regular magnum ammo. 790,000 pesetas to go from newly purchased to exclusively upgraded.

Edited by xf02

Just to let you guys know, you don't get the Chicago Typewriter from either beating the regular game on Pro or for finishing Assignment Ada. Finishing Assignment Ada will unlock the gun to buy and use in Seperate Ways. Finishing Seperate Ways will unlock it for purchase and use in the regular game. You still need to be on round 2 for the particular save you're wanting to buy it on though.

In the original Gamecube version you get it in the regular game by clearing Assignment Ada, but that's because there's no such thing as Seperate Ways on the GC version.

Also, it costs 1 million pesetas. Though I believe it's bought fully upgraded.

For the Handcannon, it costs nothing to purchase from the Merchant once unlocked although it starts without upgrades and is rather useless. Ammo capacity of 3. Doesn't use regular magnum ammo. 790,000 pesetas to go from newly purchased to exclusively upgraded.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Also, not sure if it matters or not, but what version (US, Europe, etc) did you play? Since there seems to be some differences, although I hope it doesn't effect it though.

Loved the Chicago typewriter, had a blast with it on the GC and Wii versions of RE4. :woop: Now on my 2nd play through on pro I had to bust out my old school RE4 GC strategy guide to make sure I got everything this time around.

Just to let you guys know, you don't get the Chicago Typewriter from either beating the regular game on Pro or for finishing Assignment Ada. Finishing Assignment Ada will unlock the gun to buy and use in Seperate Ways. Finishing Seperate Ways will unlock it for purchase and use in the regular game (you don't need to finish Assignment Ada for it if you just want to use it in the regular game).

Ah thanks, I forgot about the Separate Ways part. Will have this info changed soon. ;)

There's a simple way to check if there's regional differences - as it's just a port of the PS2 version with graphical upgrades (proven by the lower quality of the Seperate Ways cutscenes as it was PS2 exclusive and the PS2 version used pre-rendered cutscenes, meaning no possible graphical upgrades for those cutscenes) we just check the difficulties.

America's RE4 for the PS2 has no easy difficulty. My RE4 HD copy (I'm from the UK) has an easy difficulty. If somebody with the American version of RE4 HD could say if they have easy or not, we'll know if there's a regional difference.

Not sure if its on the xbox version as im unable to confirm yet, but on chapter 1 you can kill the chainsaw guy that is guarding the exit gates to Pueblo Village for a red ruby. He will only be around before the bell sounds and before the house with the shotgun cutscene. After this you can kill another chainsaw guy who comes when you activate the shotgun house cutscene. Killing him results in an extra 10,000 PTAS.

EDIT: I got this from a treasure guide but once again im not sure if the xbox version is different:

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=94999&rid=88216

EDIT: I can confirm that this is still in the xbox version as i just done it. To kill the first chainsaw guy i threw a grenade and knifed him to death.

Another tip: gold eggs heal you to full and are essentially a first aid spray that takes up half the space. If you get any, don't sell them unless you're desperate for money.

Here's a list of all treasures that can be combined with others and what you need to combine them with so that you can sell them for more. There may be some spoilers, depending on what you consider a spoiler.

Beerstein (red, green, yellow Catseye) - only one Beerstein in the game.

Butterfly Lamp (red, green, blue Eye (all dropped by Novistadors - the bug like creatures with camouflage and later wings, blues are rarest but you can get a guaranteed one by destroying the Novistador hive hanging from the cieling when Ashley gets carried off by one) - two lamps are available.

Crown (Crown Jewel, Royal Insignia) - only one of each part of this one in the game.

Elegant Mask (red, green, purple Gem) - two masks are available.

Golden Lynx (Blue Stone of Treason, Green Stone of Judgement, Red Stone of Faith) - only one of each part.

Beerstein (red, green, yellow Catseye) - only one Beerstein in the game.

Butterfly Lamp (red, green, blue Eye (all dropped by Novistadors - the bug like creatures with camouflage and later wings, blues are rarest but you can get a guaranteed one by destroying the Novistador hive hanging from the cieling when Ashley gets carried off by one) - two lamps are available.

Crown (Crown Jewel, Royal Insignia) - only one of each part of this one in the game.

Elegant Mask (red, green, purple Gem) - two masks are available.

Golden Lynx (Blue Stone of Treason, Green Stone of Judgement, Red Stone of Faith) - only one of each part.

I already got that covered in my Selling price list but thx for the additional infos.

I know it's not a tip per se, but the Chicago Typewriter does indeed have a reload animation even though you don't need to reload it. In the regular or RPD costumes, it takes ages. You get a special animation if you reload it while wearing the gangster outfit. If you reload it four times in a row with the gangster outfit, he has another special animation.

The Typewriter's model changes slightly depending on your costume too. It'll have a drum magazine and a different grip. This is what it looks like in the regular and RPD outfits (top) and the gangster outfit (bottom).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7qbmrAZdR0]Resident Evil 4 Wii Leon's Hat Trick - YouTube[/ame]

I know it's not a tip per se, but the Chicago Typewriter does indeed have a reload animation even though you don't need to reload it. In the regular or RPD costumes, it takes ages. You get a special animation if you reload it while wearing the gangster outfit. If you reload it four times in a row with the gangster outfit, he has another special animation.

The Typewriter's model changes slightly depending on your costume too. It'll have a drum magazine and a different grip. This is what it looks like in the regular and RPD outfits (top) and the gangster outfit (bottom).

I don't remember but i think if you throw up the hat and get killed by the chainsaw guy/dr. salvador its glitchy.

Does the crow farming work? im just wondering as it will help me on my pro run. I tried it on my normal run and couldn't get them to respawn.

Well you will know it for sure when you've reached that point.

Personally I never used any so called farming methods in this game since collecting all treasures and concentrating on only 2-3 weapons will also help you through PRO. So I can't confirm this for you but maybe someone else in here.

Does the crow farming work? im just wondering as it will help me on my pro run. I tried it on my normal run and couldn't get them to respawn.

I wasn't able to get them to respawn at the part where you first fight El Gigante, so I don't think they do. Tried going to the merchant a couple times and also restarting my game with no luck.

But a couple tips if you really need money is: Frequently save. When you get to any places with tons of boxes/crates/barrels to smash, smash 1 at a time. If you don't get any money from it just reload. Also make sure to use your knife obviously to conserve ammo. Then every time you get money make sure you save.

It might be a hassle, but the area right after the the town center where you first come across the blue medallions there are a ton of crates to smash and easy access to a typewriter.

Another tip for getting more cash, is after the boss fight with the fish, instead of continuing forward, take your boat back and back track through all the places you visited. All the crates re-spawn, also enemies, so you can kill them off before getting Ashley unless you are doing it the easy way with Costume #2 where she wears a suit of armor.

A really helpful tip for when ashley gets kidnapped by the Novistador (where the massive hive is in the room) you can turn around and run out to the hall and jump out to the balcony to the left, here the creatures can't hit you and if you hit them while they are airborne its a one hit kill, even with a pistol.

This is very useful as there is around 10 bugs trying to hit you and you can take no damage and use hardly any ammo!

Here is my helpful tip, you can stand at the top of the ladders and knife them as they climb up so they keep falling until they die. Just make sure there are no guys who get behind you while you do it and look out for long range attackers.

Yup that works.

A really helpful tip for when ashley gets kidnapped by the Novistador (where the massive hive is in the room) you can turn around and run out to the hall and jump out to the balcony to the left, here the creatures can't hit you and if you hit them while they are airborne its a one hit kill, even with a pistol.

Haha good one and I was always standing in front of the door next to the balcony locked & loaded with a shotgun waiting for each one to come through.

I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet or not, so here are a few of my tips.

During the village assault in the very beginning, you don't have to fire a single round. Just make wide loops around the village for about 6 minutes, and the cutscene will trigger. Saves alot of ammo and gets you started off on a good footing in Pro.

Also, in the castle, shoot the cultists in the leg, then suplex them. Make sure to do it on stairs, because this seems to crush their heads every time. Saves time and ammo, and you deal with less parasite head's popping out.