"Poker! Achievement" in 3-5 tries! Here's How

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just recently got my achievement after about 30-40 tries. I must say I used a mixture of the method present here and simply rolling the dice, and in the end it was playing the game as intended (ie not using the "glitch") that got me the achievement.

For those of you looking for an opponent who will not resign frequently or stop playing against you no matter how many times you beat them, I suggest you seek out Fioravanti in the first town, Flotsam. He can be found in the town square (near where the hangings take place) and runs a stall that appears to have vases and bottles of various types on it.

Initially I was using the Poker Face: Flotsam quest to attempt to do the achievement, and while the first few guys are fine as long as you lose to them, once you start winning they all bottle out and you start running out of people to play against. I haven't seen any suggestions on long-standing opponents, so I would highly suggest Fioravanti. I played against him numerous times, on many of which I started with 3-of-a-kind or 4-of-a-kind games, and he never resigned. He's probably the most sure-fire bet out of anybody in the beginning town.

Finally, the only suggestion I have is to lightly touch the analog stick -- there's no need to go mad with it. I actually found I had more success when I only tilted the analog stick slightly, as the die seemed to land on the same faces more often.

Best of luck to anybody who attempts this - I completely agree that luck-based achievements completely suck and need to go. Memories of Final Fantasy XIII-2's slot machines still haunt my dreams (anybody who's had to get the Lucky Coin fragment will know how I feel).

Anyway, that's another story... :p

• 2 weeks later...

Ya this method is just not workin for me.

Tried for 2 hours. Then my gf tried "for fun" she said for another hour. Gonna revert back to classical methods. At least then theres a realistic statstical path i can use ='[...

Clever idea, but it just didn't work for me. Got 5 of a kind the good ol' fashioned way..

Yep, I agree. Did it the classical way during the prologue in 30 minutes. My last cheevo.

Done and dusted moving on! =]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread is long, so I'm not sure if these things were all mentioned together, buuuuut ~

1. Watch this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXz5sufYeeA]The Witcher 2 : Poker! Achievement Guide MADE EASY! - YouTube[/ame]

It's very well done in explaining the movements you need to make to do the standing trick for the Poker! achievement. I was having trouble until I viewed this particular one.

2. Make sure to BARELY tap your analog stick to the upper left when replicating the trick. I mean barely tap it.

3. Do this in Prologue at the "The king summoned me" or whatever section where you are with the army as they are all hanging out at the tents. Anyone else, even in Flotsam, will tend to resign on you otherwise if you get close to a 5 in a row'r.

4. I stress again that you must be gentle as hell with the analog stick.

Overall, took me 5 tries or so once I got the technique down. Very easy. By luck took me over 80 tries without even getting close, so really, if you're going to be sitting around doing this anyways, the technique's worth giving a shot.

No other tips really. I bid minimum for the whole time since I was scared bidding high would scare off my opponent.

• 3 months later...

This method does indeed work but Luck still plays a factor in getting the achievement. I just managed to pull it off after about 50 or so attempts by getting five threes. I played against one of the guys in the Flotsam Inn basement and bet maximum. Even if you can't get the achievement, you'll most likely walk away with a buttload of Orens at your disposal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...