What did you think of the ending? (spoilers)

jae200

I thought there was a thread on this already but couldn't find it.

I finished the game last night.. Any thoughts on the ending? I like 'dark' endings but honestly it was a little disappointing to see Rick fight through everything he did only to end up NOT saving his girlfriend. I know the dirty pictures were probably only put into the game to serve as titillation for the 'intended audience' but they kind of made it feel as if Rick and Jennifer had a long history together and it was kind of sad that she wasn't able to be saved. Then again, perhaps a happy ending for this game wouldn't have seemed right. As one who never finished (or gotten to play) the originals, does the ending of this game go along the same lines as the originals?

At what point did Jennifer become 'possessed'? She was laying on the slab screaming for Rick and then seemed normal up until they both finally get back together.

Any thoughts on a potential sequel? Do you think the game will sell well enough to warrant a sequel?

I highly doubt there will be a sequel unfortunately, shame.

But yeah it is a bit terrible you go through all that for nothing.

Nothing compared to 'The Darkness' though.

Also I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't even a final boss to fight, just a short quick time event.

I think that the ending was definitely made with a sequel in mind... although, yeah, it looks doubtful that we will see one, sadly. As for Jennifer's possession, after beating the boss, you see green energy darting towards her... that is the spirit of West's wife.

I think that it suited the game... a happy ending would have jarred with the atmosphere somewhat, although, funnily enough, the pictures did help to make it sadder than it would otherwise have been. I guess that the sequel would revolve around getting Jen back?

In the older games jennifer turns into a monster. You have to fight her and after you beat her up a bit she turns back to normal, and cries out for rick and then she turns back into a monster and rick has to kill her and in his rage he continues on and kills everything in the final levels.

• 1 year later...
I thought the ending was very bad, and the last boss was a total joke. If you can even call that stupid monster a last boss.

absolutely, it was incredibly cheap of them to add all that build up only to beat him with a simple push of the X button. as for jen, i agree with fish that it was probably a nod to the original game

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

the ending is clever and swings both ways in terms of sequel/no sequel.

at the end the mask makes itself pretty clear about its agreement with Rick getting Jen back and that things aren't quite finished.

BUT

Rick and Jen make a promise to be together till the end of the world which is what's supposed to be happening during phase 11 and 12 so it could be interpreted as their relationship has been nullified and the mask now has a permanent host. :shrug:

I'd still like to see a sequel tho.

• 10 months later...