HOW TO: Download Games from Other Regions and Earn Their Achievements

Arsenic 17

You can now download and play games from anywhere in the world as long as you have a Windows Phone 8 and a Paypal account to earn achievements. The games listed below have STACKABLE achievement lists. This trick will also work for any game that may not be available in your country for some reason.

• Just go into your Settings>Language+Region and change your region to the country where the game is listed in. Then push the button below to soft reset your phone (it will auto turn off and on).

• When it boots back up you will have access to the marketplace of the region you entered, allowing you search/buy the game you wanted

• The next trick is paying for the game. You need to have a PayPal account. It will tell you that "You have no payment methods for this region" and you will have to click to add a payment method to that region. You will have to add your PayPal account, even if you have it already added in your native marketplace.

• The first thing it asks is to put your name and address and such. Make sure you use the format for the zip code of the region you are set to (it gives you an example, for UK it is AA#-#AA). In some cases you may even need to go online and look up a real city and postal code for that region if you cannot get it to work. Then it will redirect you to the PayPal site where you input your normal PayPal username and password. Then confirm everything to return to the marketplace.

• Then it is all set up and you can pay as normal with your Paypal now appearing as a payment option. Only issue I see is that you will have to pay at the exchange rate, which could actually increase the price or decrease the price of the normal WP price point.

• Your region can be reset and the game played on your phone normally after it has finished downloading.

GAMES THIS WORKS FOR (All have separate achievement lists):

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? (English) - UK MARKETPLACE *DELISTED*

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? (French) - France MARKETPLACE (Search "Qui Veut Gagner") *DELISTED*

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? (German) - Germany MARKETPLACE (Search "Wer Wird") *DELISTED*

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? (Italian) - Italy MARKETPLACE (Search "Chi vuol essere") *DELISTED*

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? (Spanish) - Spain MARKETPLACE (Search "Quiere ser millonario") *DELISTED*

Real Soccer - USA MARKETPLACE

Real Football - EU MARKETPLACE (Any EU country)

Real Soccer 2013 - USA MARKETPLACE *WP8 ONLY*

Real Football 2013 - EU MARKETPLACE (Any EU country) *WP8 ONLY*

THINGS TO NOTE:

• No HARD RESETTING of your phone is necessary
  • You will not lose any data, apps, or media content
  • Windows Phone Store credit (bought through Bing rewards) does not work, unless you are purchasing a game in the USA marketplace
  • Credit cards do not work 90% of the time, but there is a small chance.
  • PayPal payment can either come directly from a balance within your PayPal account or from a credit card or bank account linked to the PayPal.
  • Specifically for the WWTBAM? games, the entire game is in the language native to the marketplace where you purchased it, you may have a rough time completing the games. Translating the questions and such.
  • Specifically for Real Soccer 2013/Real Football 2013, because these games are free, you do not even need a Paypal account to download the other version. You just need to switch your region and then click buy and it will automatically work.

UPDATES:

12/27/12 - Created.

3/13/13 - Added Real Soccer 2013 and Real Football 2013 to the list of games.

1/31/14 - Made a note that all the Millionaire games have been delisted from the Marketplace. If you dont have them already, it is too late.

Edited by Arsenic 17

I'm in Finland (Europe) and can't download Ghostscape or Feed Me Oil at the moment because of my region. I've tried changing to USA my location but there's no difference...

Those particular games are not available on Windows Phone 8, so you wont be able to see them on any WP8, regardless of region.

Unless case you have a WP7, then this trick does not work at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You can now download and play games from anywhere in the world as long as you have a Windows Phone 8 and a Paypal account to earn achievements. The games listed below have STACKABLE achievement lists.

WTF why the f isn't this on wp 7 lol.

Edited by yoda12320

WTF why the f isn't this on wp 7 lol.

Not sure why it does work. The menus are different, but you can change your region and restart your phone on WP7. The marketplace just doesnt ever change to your new region. You may be able to hard reset you phone and set the region initially, or it is based off your location or IP address. Not sure. But it just doesnt work the same as on WP8

Edited by Arsenic 17

• 1 month later...

Anyone run into an issue doing this? I can log into paypal.com just fine on my phone from a web browser, but it says there is an issue when trying to log on to add a payment option. I'm curious if it has to do with the address I put in, but I can't find a way to change it now that it is set.

Edited by jorax

Hmm... not an address issue. It won't let me add PayPal when the region is set to US and my proper address is entered either. I've got a bank account and debit card verified on my paypal, so not really sure what the issue is.

So you cant add Paypal or at all, or it will le you add it but not select as the payment method?

What step does it fail on if the issue is when adding?

It fails after putting in my PayPal login info as a payment method, so I can't even add it. I of course verified my login info multiple times. The error message was a bit vague:

We are unable to process payment using PayPal ar this time. Please return to the recipient's website and complete the transaction using the regular checkout flow.

Edited by jorax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
THINGS TO NOTE:

• You will not lose any data, apps, or media content
  • Windows Phone Store credit (bought through Bing rewards) does not work, unless you are purchasing a game in the USA marketplace
  • Specifically for Real Soccer 2013/Real Football 2013, because these games are free, you do not even need a Paypal account to download the other version. You just need to switch your region and then click buy and it will automatically work.

- Is there a risk of being banned for downloading these games, even the paid ones?

- The WPS credit for USA bought by a friend can be sent to my account as a gift, so I can buy Final Fantasy using the credit?

- Free games like Jetpack Joyride, I change my region, install it, go back to Brazil and so I can play and earn the achievements with no risk of being banned?

Thanks!

- Is there a risk of being banned for downloading these games, even the paid ones?

- The WPS credit for USA bought by a friend can be sent to my account as a gift, so I can buy Final Fantasy using the credit?

- Free games like Jetpack Joyride, I change my region, install it, go back to Brazil and so I can play and earn the achievements with no risk of being banned?

Thanks!

I don't think I have heard of anyone getting their account banned for downloading paid or always free games from another region. Although if enough people do it who knows with Microsoft.

I am unsure about windows phone store credit. That is only a new thing to buy. Before you had to be USA because they were only from Bing rewards. If you try it, let me know.if it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...