FEZ: Alphabet, numbers, and symbols

zingrook

Message me @zingrook if you have corrections or additions.

I merely compiled this information from other threads/forums and made images for easy in-game deciphering. Good luck.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii563/zingrook/Decoder-1.png

Edited by zingrook

Should note that the Tetris symbols were rotated 90 degrees to the right to make it easier to read the pillars. So for example when doing the constellation puzzle, the game presents them to you in the original form, which is 90 degrees to the left of the way they are in the image above.

Edited by Diamondz

Words are read from top to bottom, then right to left (not left to right, then top to bottom as we read words). For those of you who are interested, this is what the first hexahedron says to you:

Hi there, how are you? I will be your hexahedron today.

So this is just a routine procedure, but I do need someone here just in case something goes wrong.

If something does go wrong, you are going to have to clean up the mess.

Hey, wait a minute. Can you even understand what I am saying and what is wrong with your head?

Oh well, you are here now, might as well do this thing. Prepare to have your mind blown!

All right, welcome to the club. Enjoy your free hat.

I kind of thought maybe this would not work, because of your weird head but everything looks aok from over here.

Thanks for the hand, you can go home now. It was very nice to meet you.

They don’t use grammar, so I ad-libbed there a bit.

Also, great job with the key zingrook.

I want to be very clear to avoid any squabbling; I only compiled the decoded alphabets and number systems deciphered by others on this forum and at GameFAQs. I drew each character out in Jasc9 pixel by pixel and added a key.

tldr; I cleaned up the work of others and posted it all together for easy reference.

I'm glad everyone is finding it useful, and I'm open to corrections and additions.

Numbers are not uniquely encoded; different symbols can mean the same number. The up stroke is worth 1, right is worth 2, down is worth 3, and left is worth 4... and if multiple strokes are used, you just sum them.

So, for instance, 3 can be represented as up + right OR down. A couple of the classrooms have posters that make this clear.

Numbers are not uniquely encoded; different symbols can mean the same number. The up stroke is worth 1, right is worth 2, down is worth 3, and left is worth 4... and if multiple strokes are used, you just sum them.

So, for instance, 3 can be represented as up + right OR down. A couple of the classrooms have posters that make this clear.

thanks for pointing this out :D

Your numbers are slightly off. Specifically 8 and 9 are wrong and you haven't listed any of the alternates for 3-7. There are 4 basic shapes (plus zero) which consist of a straight line rotated 90 degrees. These make up 1-4. Then 5-10 are composites of these shapes (5 = 2 + 3 or 1 + 4 etc.). I've made a picture to more clearly demonstrate what I'm talking about:

http://www.ethicsgradient.com/img/fez_numbers.png

The only rule about making the composite symbols is that the combined symbols can't have any overlap. They can only meet at right angles. That's why the symbol for nine can only be made of the primary four symbol and the primary five symbol. Using the secondary five symbol would have caused overlap. Etc. Etc.

Is there a thread (here or elsewhere) where people have begun to decode everything?

It's a brutal, huge chore, but some of it is quite good. For example, in the Phrenologist's Artefact Tomb room, the glyphs read as "Dot to Dots" (dust to dust). One random block in the sky near the large throne read "Trapped in Fez Factory / Please send help".

I've just been playing through it on my second run through and decoding whatever I can be bothered but I'd like to get a full list of everything because, well, I'm OCD and I like the game's soundtrack... has someone already started this?

I have a question. Is there a way to acquire all these decipher tables in-game?

There isn't a "Rosetta Stone" exactly for the numerals, you have to extrapolate from the instances they DO give you.

I started by learning (one of) the shape(s) for 5 from the Industrial zone because it has a picture of the symbol and then spells out the word "five" in the more-easily deciphered alphabet. Then, with that in mind, you can find a series of addition equations in a class room. These help you work out 1, 2, 3, 7, and 10. In the same classroom there is a poster which hints that there are multiple ways to write some of the numbers. It gives you the two ways of writing 3. From there, it was like I detailed in my post above.

EDIT: But the alphabet and tetromino/button combos do have places where it shows you the entire mapping.

Edited by Sans Gravitas

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On the stone next to the fox and dog, instead of a "Q" for "quick" the symbol is for the letter "K" according to this chart. Can anyone explain?

I always figured they doubled up Q and K the way they did U and V, since there are only 24 possible letter permutations (six "types," four rotations).

• 6 months later...

I know that there is a place in the game where this is very easy to translate. If you go to the Hippo and go inside the secret room in the tree, there is a fox leaping over a gray dog. There is a quote tied to this that i don't know very well, but it is written in the Fez language next to these animals.