Should I buy a kinect?

Gilbon

If you have the money, the room and like the games it has, then yes, buy it.

What he said :)

I have it (got it with the Slim) & I like it. There aren't a lot of Kinect games that I like, but the ones I do like are a ton of fun. Some of the features in the "better with Kinect" games, like Madden, are pretty good too.

I think a better question would be "Why Shouldn't I Buy Kinect?". If you can't come up with reasons as to why you should not, then you convince yourself that you should. :cool:

I have Kinect. I've had it since Microsoft sent them to those in the preview program and I have used it, for I'd say less than 10 hours in total. I chose to keep it because I always believed there will be something to use it for, and that day comes when FIFA 13 is released.

Developers are using Kinect a little more, which I believe is a great thing. No longer is it only the childish/family games that have it integrated.

I would have gotten one myself if I had the space for it. Unfortunately I don't and although there is a gadget for the Kinect which decreases the range, it's still a lot of money.

I've played a few games and I'm more impressed by the dancing games than I was with Kinect Joyride, which was painful, irritating and a chore to play.

My family bought one and played it the day we got it, never played it since. I think its in the box somewhere.

I'd say be honest with yourself and think about how much you would actually play with it and if theres any games that you like for it that will justify the purchase.

My family bought one and played it the day we got it, never played it since. I think its in the box somewhere.

I'd say be honest with yourself and think about how much you would actually play with it and if theres any games that you like for it that will justify the purchase.

^Debby Downer! Buy it and spread the love of Kinect!

• 2 weeks later...

Do not buy Kinect for general gameplay or achievements. Its a terrible peripheral. It has to be recalibrated and reactivated every so often while you are playing it. It needs a TON of space to work, even with the Niko accessory. Some games just will not play, even while others load up fine. You may need the field of vision of the Kinect clear of furniture. The games can be very hard, and require unhealthy physical activity (lots of bending and jumping, etc). It needs to be in front of the base of your TV to work the best, which is where the remote sensor is on both of my TV's, interfering with the remote. You cannot plug in a second controller for boosting achievements, you will usually need a couch co-op partner even for simple games, and any such boosting will require a dedicated partner.

I would advise borrowing a Kinect if you can, and playing through all the free Kinect (No)Fun Labs games. They are easy completions for the most part, and I probably cleared a good 500 points in a day going through the ones that would load properly and liked my room setup (the feet one would not even accept my room).

If you like dancing games, party games, exercise, and/or have people around who are game, you might enjoy this. This is probably not for people identifying as hard core gamers. Achievement wise, there are points to milk, if you already have most of the easy regular games finished, but it can be bad for completion %. It can be very frustrating retrying physical things over and over to try to pop an achievement if you cannot figure out the right motions.

I thought the same thing, "should i buy" and i put it off for a while. I have one now and ive used it maybe 10 times since last december. Im more of a gadget freak so when it comes to new toys I spend whatever it cost to get it. was it work the 150 plus 2 games... eh not really I started using it more now for Netflix. Ultimate lazy boy. lol

Hope this helps.

P.S. Games arent as good as i thought they would be.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst £200 I ever spent. The Kinect Sports that I bought with the 'controller' was kinda fun for a while but when I tried to play other games that required more than a swing of the arm or a jump on the spot I realised just how terrible it is. Microsofts slogan "You are the controller" is total bunk. Trying to exert any form of control on what is happening onscreen is nigh on impossible on some games. Many of the games released so far are utterly unplayable. If you like the dancing/fitness type games that only require simple movement then buy it. If you're hoping that it will ever be capable of being used for anything more complex then forget it. When Kinect 2 comes out I wont be touching it with a barge pole.

Edited by Malevolenz
corrected grammar

The worst £200 I ever spent. The Kinect Sports that I bought with the 'controller' was kinda fun for a while but when I tried to play other games that required more than a swing of the arm or a jump on the spot I realised just how terrible it is. Microsofts slogan "You are the controller" is total bunk. Trying to exert any form of control on what is happening onscreen is nigh on impossible on some games. Many of the games released so far are utterly unplayable. If you like the dancing/fitness type games that only require simple movement then buy it. If you're hoping that it will ever be capable of being used for anything more complex then forget it. When Kinect 2 comes out I wont be touching it with a barge pole.

Ahh good. Mr. Malevolenz is stuck in 1992 with his backwards belief on the progression of technology. Its a camera capturing motion in the room, it's not a virtual reality set up monitoring hundreds upon thousands of points on the human body thus creating a character that literally moves like the player moves. It is well worth the experience and can actually become a fairly enjoyable experience with friends.

Ahh good. Mr. Malevolenz is stuck in 1992 with his backwards belief on the progression of technology. Its a camera capturing motion in the room, it's not a virtual reality set up monitoring hundreds upon thousands of points on the human body thus creating a character that literally moves like the player moves. It is well worth the experience and can actually become a fairly enjoyable experience with friends.

Not quite sure what you mean by having a backwards belief in the progression of technology, sounds like an oxymoron to me. I did concede that some of the simple, basic games can be fun but the fact remains that it doesn't live up to the claims Microsoft made about it. Many of the games for Kinect ARE unplayable. If you're happy to pay 40 quid, or 60 bucks for a game you cant play, then fine. I suspect you're in the minority there.

I think people are expecting the same type of interaction and gameplay that a regular handheld controller gives you. You have to not go into the game with that expectation. I don't think it's lowering the bar or anything I just think it's just a different way to play. Don't take a kinect game too seriously or expect something it's not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a fun thing to have, and there's some fun games. But like others have said, it's not a hardcore gaming device. It's loads of fun with two people or party games though.

However, since it requires space, there's a few things you have to consider. Distance is one. You want a good, large open box about 7'x7' in front of the TV. And you need room behind you, or your shadow is going to be picked up as part of you.

Lighting is key. You need at least two light sources, to avoid the shadow issue again.

Pets and small children can show up as your hands, so if you have a lot, you might have a lot of trouble playing games.

The biggest concern after space though is CAN YOU JUMP UP AND DOWN? If you live in an apartment above someone, you're going to annoy them, possibly break their things, and get some very well deserved warnings of eviction from your landlord. This also applies for the second floor of your house. My apartment is on the ground floor, but really shoddily made. Walking causes that area to shake. Jumping up and down is simply murder. My display cases along the far wall will shake violently and things will come crashing down. Any game that requires jumping more than once is a no go.

But besides those issues, I'd say there's quite a few nice Kinect arcade and full titles. (Aside from Kinect Sports, I'd say very few require jumping)

Edited by NerdyKris