Achievement Discussion

L3giOn

Edit: People like the post below me are missing the goddamn point. Halo is primarily an online game, one that people play for hours every day regardless of achievement or not, so the achievements should reflect that. They don't, and it's bullshit. Prey understood it wouldn't be a huge online game, so 25 kills per weapon was reasonable. Gears was significantly bigger, so 100 kills was reasonable. 250 kills per weapon in Halo 3 would have been reasonable.

Halo has ALWAYS been a single player game with great multiplayer as a bonus. I don't think there was ever a chance in hell the boys at Bungie would have released a game with achievements 9/10 people would never want to spend time getting. I think your view of what Halo is... is the one at fault here.

Not a single sniper achievement?

Good! I bloody hate the sniper rifle!

No # of wins per map achievement?

No # of kills with weapons?

No # of kills total?

What. The. Fuck.

They got this wrong, and I hope they realize they pissed off their core audience.

Edit2: The extra 250 points better be for weapons/total kills, or they are just damn fools.

Again, I think they know their core audience don't want to spend days unlocking a single achievement.

The fact that you do is... well that's nice for you. But for most people out there? Nope.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a strong feeling with enough beefing from the online community or just that it is already planned that the 250 point expansion should be all online and hopefully the large kill totals for example. My only concern would be if stats were not retroactive. I would hate to have say 2000 kills and then this comes out and they do not count toward a 10,000 kill achievement for example.

people who saying the points suck. are ya still going to buy the game if not that be dumb just cause of points? its still a fun online game with or without points.deff if u play with friends.

To be honest, and many people may disagree with me here, I think the multiplayer is pretty rubbish. I hate the Halo 2 multiplayer online play - I think it gets very boring pretty fast and not the most balanced game ever. Your skill on the game represents how many little tricks you have learnt, not on how you play as a team, like in Gears of War. The Beta was rubbish and I refused to play it after my first encounter with it. Even so, they should have some up with some nice long achievements to keep me interested and a couple of original achievements, like have a system link match with at least 8 xboxs or kill 100 people by knocking rocks on their head (Beaver Creek was good for this :)) They have seriously scuppered the achievements on this :mad:

It's Halo 3, I really don't care what the achievements are but I am REALLY surprised they didn't have a number a kills achievement. Maybe they just got a little arrogant thinking, hey people are going to play so much multi-player it really doesn't matter what we make those achievements, let's just make them attainable for everyone. I'd like to see for the 250 extra gamerscore: Kill 20,000 people in multi-player ;) With the rumble-pit it would take awhile but still would be attainable.

yeah, no kidding. so you played the halo 2 (pc)?

To be honest, and many people may disagree with me here, I think the multiplayer is pretty rubbish. I hate the Halo 2 multiplayer online play - I think it gets very boring pretty fast and not the most balanced game ever. Your skill on the game represents how many little tricks you have learnt, not on how you play as a team, like in Gears of War. The Beta was rubbish and I refused to play it after my first encounter with it. Even so, they should have some up with some nice long achievements to keep me interested and a couple of original achievements, like have a system link match with at least 8 xboxs or kill 100 people by knocking rocks on their head (Beaver Creek was good for this
:)
) They have seriously scuppered the achievements on this
:mad:

I'm finding it funny because everyone saying the achievements are good have under 50 posts to their name :biglaugh , looks like all the halo n00bs are enjoying this easy achievement list. case in point, one guy last page said "good i bloody hate the sniper rifle" lol. I guess im going to be going for the Legendary achievement FIRST because i know all the n00bs wont get that and after that i guess ill play a couple of games to get all the online achieves lol :)

To be honest, and many people may disagree with me here, I think the multiplayer is pretty rubbish. I hate the Halo 2 multiplayer online play - I think it gets very boring pretty fast and not the most balanced game ever. Your skill on the game represents how many little tricks you have learnt, not on how you play as a team, like in Gears of War. The Beta was rubbish and I refused to play it after my first encounter with it. Even so, they should have some up with some nice long achievements to keep me interested and a couple of original achievements, like have a system link match with at least 8 xboxs or kill 100 people by knocking rocks on their head (Beaver Creek was good for this :)) They have seriously scuppered the achievements on this :mad:

No, see YOU want that. A few people here want want that... but nobody else does! This list is a good list for the casual gamer who makes up the bulk of Halo's sales, and the old school Bungie story nut like me who would rather every achievement could be earned offline.

Also, you didn't do yourself any favours by skipping the best bits of the beta. It's nothing like Halo 2 multiplayer now; when you go up against someone you still have a chance no matter what weapon you're holding. That wasn't the case with number 2.

I'm finding it funny because everyone saying the achievements are good have under 50 posts to their name :biglaugh , looks like all the halo n00bs are enjoying this easy achievement list. case in point, one guy last page said "good i bloody hate the sniper rifle" lol. I guess im going to be going for the Legendary achievement FIRST because i know all the n00bs wont get that and after that i guess ill play a couple of games to get all the online achieves lol :)

I'm not a halo n00b:

http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?memberID=928

That's my Bungie.net profile. I think I'm now in the top 20 of members by sign up. Most people with IDs below 928 have been booted by the inactivity clause.

EDITED for politeness. :)

If it turns in to a flame war, people WILL get banned ;)

I like the achievements personally, I'm with snafe and hate online achievements, it won't stop me playing Halo 3 though, so why should it stop anyone else. Achievements or no achievements, the majority of us will play it so whats the difference.

The achievements look wayy too easy, It was achievements that took me away from Halo 2 online... I thought achievements would bring me back to Halo 3 =/ Oh well, I thought I would be playing it for years but now... doesn't seem like it will last a few weeks :(

(BTW why is there only 9 campaign levels??? That's almost half the size of Halo 2's campaign! The levels better be 2 hours minimum each to complete to make up for it >_>)

I like the achievements personally, I'm with snafe and hate online achievements, it won't stop me playing Halo 3 though, so why should it stop anyone else. Achievements or no achievements, the majority of us will play it so whats the difference.

Yeh i agre with that, the achievements could have been really easy or long.... this way you can show your skill and most people can get a majority of the score out there favourite game.:)

Halo has ALWAYS been a single player game with great multiplayer as a bonus. I don't think there was ever a chance in hell the boys at Bungie would have released a game with achievements 9/10 people would never want to spend time getting. I think your view of what Halo is... is the one at fault here.

Good! I bloody hate the sniper rifle!

Again, I think they know their core audience don't want to spend days unlocking a single achievement.

The fact that you do is... well that's nice for you. But for most people out there? Nope.

Are you fucking Insane. I've clocked over 4000 Games online, with over 45,000 Kills. Guess What... I havent beaten the campaign yet. Not once, not on easy, not on anything. Last time I checked (One hour ago) there have been 250,000 Unique gamertags on Halo 2 online, in the last 24 hours. People still play this game, and a lot. It's never been a single player game, ever. Everyone knows that the games isnt made for that, It's an online game. You're right, Bungie doesnt want to make achievements that 9/10 people wouldnt want to spend time getting, but they did, the campaign achievements.

The Sniper Rifle in Halo is the one most powerful weapon in Halo. It should have achievements for, at least 1000 kills with it; that even would be reasonable.

Their core audience is the people who are hardcore fans of this game. The people, who after 4 years, still play this game regularily. The people who have invested hours of their lives, just to get that one more level higher in online. The people who have and do play the game now.

You're completely wrong. 10,000 Kills in this game would be reasonable. In the Beta alone I racked up over 3,000 kills, in only 2 and a half weeks. Its far more reasonable than Gears.

There is no way Bungie can make everyone happy; and there is no such thing as a perfect achievement list. But Im positive they made a lot more people mad, than happy.

Guys, you overlook the online achievements list. You notice the "Spartan Officer" achievement, you are required to get 500 RP to attain this rank. That's 500 wins. That is a challenge. Also where is the source of this achievements list? You know it's too early to show the achievements. It's three months away from the Halo 3 release. Most games' achievements are shown a month before its release. So that the achievements WILL be likely to be revised. And plus the achievements are balanced to me. Players will play more in online than the campaign mode regardless of the achievements. Also the online achievements is attainable in normal play. That helps keep the matches more fun instead of playing in a private match with your friends boosting for the achievements and prevent ruining the match for everyone.

Their core audience is the people who are hardcore fans of this game. The people, who after 4 years, still play this game regularily. The people who have invested hours of their lives, just to get that one more level higher in online. The people who have and do play the game now.

Hmmmmm, how does an achievement list stop the hardcore Halo player playing Halo 3? Well, it doesn't! I am assuming that the people who love Halo will play Halo no matter what the achievement list is. Bungie have opened up their market to more people now as it looks like an achieveable list.

I think you'll find that MS discouraged developers using online achievement and being as Bungie is part of Microsofts Game Studios so this is hardly suprising.

Hmmmmm, how does an achievement list stop the hardcore Halo player playing Halo 3? Well, it doesn't! I am assuming that the people who love Halo will play Halo no matter what the achievement list is. Bungie have opened up their market to more people now as it looks like an achieveable list.

I think you'll find that MS discouraged developers using online achievement and being as Bungie is part of Microsofts Game Studios so this is hardly suprising.

The hardcore Halo Players all play online. The casual Halo players coudnt give a rat's ass about the achievements... It just doesnt make sense to me, how they could do this. Halo is a multiplayer game. For me, It's as if, Shadowrun had 80% Sinlge Player achievements, and the rest online, which would take one day. I think it will be very easy, to get all online achievements (Other than highest rank) within a weekend, or a day.

I dont care what anyone says, but they are really bad.

And what kind of game (Other than At World's End) gives 9 achievements for Easter Eggs!! 9 Fuckin Achievements!! 9!!! 20% of them!!