Best games for a newbie

kaitco

I've only had an Xbox for a year and much of that time has been spent playing Rock Band and Lego games. I never played a lot of games as a kid, I've always been awful at FPS games and I hate games with zombies, so I always figured that Lego and rhythm games (and a few others) were always going to be the best that I could do.

I recently saw Halo: Reach was available as a demo, so I tried it and found that after running around a little, I was getting the hang of the FPS and that the game looked fun. Before I shell out the cash for it, though, I'm wondering if Reach is a game that I should get into as a gaming newbie and, if not, what other games would be better to expand my "gaming horizons"?

I haven't got a Gold account, so online/multiplayer is not going to be a major sell for me and I really don't like games with zombies or anything designed to be scary.

Any thoughts? (Please also point me to any recent threads if this has been discussed ad nauseum.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Xbox+Live+Arcade+Triple+Pack+-+Xbox+360/2540079.p?id=1218334222352&skuId=2540079&st=Xbox%20Live%20Arcade%20Triple%20Pack&lp=1&cp=1&AID=10597222&PID=1312731&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FXbox%2BLive%2BArcade%2BTriple%2BPack%2B-%2BXbox%2B360%2F2540079.p%3Fid%3D1218334222352%26skuId%3D2540079%26st%3DXbox%2520Live%2520Arcade%2520Triple%2520Pack%26lp%3D1%26cp%3D1&ref=39&CJPID=1312731&loc=01

Trials HD / Limbo / Splosion Man - Triple Pack

its only 10$ at Bust Buy(usually $29.99) its on sale. To be honest i don't have them but i will deferentially buy the pack before its $29.99 again.

It also comes with a Xbox Live Gold 48 hour trial and 160 Microsoft points.

Edited by Ivan Mendez

Forza 3 is good if you like racing sims, and if you don't so much, or not sure, you can change the settings to make it super easy for you or super technical. That, Burnout series is a good arcade racer, and Dirt 3 was pretty fun and easy to pick up. If you really need something easy, pick up a disney game or 2. Easy, enjoyable, and easy GS if you wanna get started. Play demos and get what you like really. We were all noobs at one point

Haha, you're just like me. Not being into zombie/scary games and FPS.

Kind of depends on what else you're into- do you like Fighters, RPGs, action games?

Like someone else said above, Assassins Creed 2/Brotherhood are excellent games (with decently easy achievements, to boot) and are pretty easy to get into.

And I don't really recommend Reach if you're not into multiplayer aspects- that game was pretty much made for the multiplayer.

I've thought about Assassin's Creed for a while, but could not tell if it was for me or not. I've played through both Force Unleashes, so I guess I lean more towards action games than anything else and AC looks like action, so I'll add it to the queue as well.

Good call on that Triple Pack as well! I played through some of the Limbo demo, but got a little creeped by it, but I think it's worth giving it another try. I'll definitely take a look at Forza 3 too.

Is Lara Croft worth venturing into as a newbie? I had the second one on PS1, but never got past the second level and gave up on it, but some of the more recent stuff looks fun.

If you prefer the single player stuff, you can't go wrong with something like Mass Effect or Dragon Age- 2 of the best games on the console. Or Red Dead Redemption.

Assassins Creed is probably my favourite franchise, so I'd recommend that as well. (I'd probably skip 1 and jump to 2, you'll pick up the story quickly).

The Tomb Raiders are quite good fun. Not too hard. You may want to wait for the next one though.

Hmm, I like that you know what you like - but don't be afraid to try things a little out of your comfort zone either.

Some I would recommend.

Alan Wake for sure - awesome game

Shooters:

Gears of War 1&2 they are 3rd person shooters and about $4.99 and $12.99 I think at GameStop

Rainbow 6 Vegas 1&2 (again both really cheap at GameStop)

Borderlands

Puzzle games:

Portal 2

LA Noire (Kind of puzzle as you're a 1940 detective)

Racing games:

Forza 3 if you are a gear head

Need for Speed: Carbon (cheap) especially if you like a "story" racer

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit <--- awesome game

Other random games:

Plants versus Zombies (comes with Peggle and Zuma as well)

Adventure Games:

Assassin Creed games

Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands

RPGs:

Dragon Age: Origins

Fallout 3

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (new Collectors edition just came out for $29.99 and you get all the DLC)

Those would be the first round of recomendations I would throw you way. Hope that's not too many. lol

Edit - one thing I'll add if you have a Game Stop in your town buy preowned and if you don't like it you have 7 days to take it back for a full refund or flip it for something else. No hassle at all doing that. Good way to "rent" games for free.

Edited by Wildmn34

Are you sure it comes with 160 MSP's? Why the hell has it dropped so much???? From £30.00 to £7.99 in Game...wow. Already got Limbo but that's great value for the other 2 still. £7.00 in Gamestation.

I'd say most of the Xbox exclusive games such as Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, Alan Wake, Crackdown etc. Can't go wrong with that triple pack as well. Hitman and Splinter Cell are my favorite games especially the latter of the two.

Racing games:

Forza 3 if you are a gear head

Need for Speed: Carbon (cheap) especially if you like a "story" racer

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit <--- awesome game

NFS Most Wanted is the best one

Edit - one thing I'll add if you have a Game Stop in your town buy preowned and if you don't like it you have 7 days to take it back for a full refund or flip it for something else. No hassle at all doing that. Good way to "rent" games for free.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Edited by jamie1000013

This is why we can't have nice things.

I was at gamestop last week, and was picking up a new copy of a game. The guy at the counter told me I could just but the game used (for a whopping $2 cheaper) play it, and bring it back for a full refund. I just bought the new copy, but I thought it was funny that the guy was promoting that.

Pick up PGR4 at gamestop it cost less than $5. Its a 50/50 arcade/simulation racer that is fun to play and has some well put together achievements. Even the dlc pack cost a dollar so you will alot of racing to do for $5.

Dont mean to steal your thread but i have to ask. I love dead rising case zero and like case west. should i buy dead rising 2 full game? I want to have fun like i did with those games are the achievements frustrating?

I would suggest some of the RPG games. They do not lean heavily towards online multiplayer and they also allow you to go at your own pace to get the hang of gaming. Fallout 3 is a good starter because its not really scary, its mostly fun in a bizarre kinda way. I hope this helps. -j

I would suggest some of the RPG games. They do not lean heavily towards online multiplayer and they also allow you to go at your own pace to get the hang of gaming. Fallout 3 is a good starter because its not really scary, its mostly fun in a bizarre kinda way. I hope this helps. -j

The only reason I hesitated recommending Fallout 3 is the Dunwhich Building - that place creeped me the hell out. But, personally, it's the best game I have ever played.

Dragon Age

Fable 2 and 3

Need for Speed Carbon

Oblivion

Assassins Creed

This are good games to start with. It kinda depends on yourself aswell tho. If you pick up things fast. For me Alan Wake was a bit creeping me out lol. And I must say that Dirt and Forza are difficult if you haven't played racegames before