Your Interpretation of People (On Here/Forums)

Br0kenAssass1n

I never realised that I did this until I read this thread. Everyone gets judged day to day, whether it be the way they talk, act, dress etc, so this isn't much different. I don't think there is anyone on this site I've built a negative image of (well except for one person).

Saying that, I do get quite paranoid about what people's image of me is. If it's a negative one, I'm sorry.... =P

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with a fair few here, it's impossible not to get some impression about people if you've seen them posting or talking with them a few times. I don't think it's as pronounced as it is when actually meeting people face to face though where a first impression can be very hard to shift. With just words on a page it's easier to change views or take take each post as it comes.

What I do find interesting is how different people are from what you expect (personality wise) when you do meet them (Mind you I've met hardly anyone I first was in contact with online, bit old fashioned I guess). Maybe the anonymity of the internet or ability to articulate things better with text comes into it somewhat but I was left thinking "Is this really the person one typed XXXX" could never see them saying it in person. That scything intellectual turns out to be a mumbling, shy recluse etc. (true pretty much internet wide that though) So even if you do get an impression of someone it's hard to separate fact from fiction. Then you have to think is their online persona fake or just how they actually think and can't otherwise get out there. (wonder what sociologists make of it all)

I don't get mental images of how people look though, can't really see how you could on a forum but oddly enough, no matter who they are or how they look at the end of the day, I'm always surprised.

Might be a good place to toss this out as well, I always find it amusing when folk talk about forum personalities anyway:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

Edited by Seraphias

I never realised that I did this until I read this thread. Everyone gets judged day to day, whether it be the way they talk, act, dress etc, so this isn't much different. I don't think there is anyone on this site I've built a negative image of (well except for one person).

Saying that, I do get quite paranoid about what people's image of me is. If it's a negative one, I'm sorry.... =P

Who is this one person? :-S. Probably not the same person as Agent Aero but you have got me curious. Tell me if it's me and I'll try to be less annoying lol.

I also do this in books and when you see it on film the person is never like how you imagined lol.

Edited by jamie1000013

That must result in some interesting situations... Well, interesting for everyone except you. I can relate though.

Hey! I Said "Think." I don't immediately tell them that I'm thinking they're a supermodel.

Maybe once I've gotten to know them I'll drop the question. Cause ya know, it's kind of important to know if one of your friends is indeed a supermodel.

Hey! I Said "Think." I don't immediately tell them that I'm thinking they're a supermodel.

Maybe once I've gotten to know them I'll drop the question. Cause ya know, it's kind of important to know if one of your friends is indeed a supermodel.

your just trying to mooch off of a rich person barbaric! your such a deceiver! lol

LOL You can say it's me if you want, I'll be "the guy". That should take less worry off some peoples minds :p Unless I am that guy, then awesome none-the-less

Go ahead, be 'the guy', I've got nothing against you! Oh wait.....

Seriously though, I'm not revealing anything. That is until this person gets a perma-ban, then I'll tell =P

I usually do the same thing. If someone has better grammar or a more sophisticated manner of writing I see them as someone who may be a little bit older and mature. Someone who has awful grammar or who can't type well I see as a younger person. This is usually always wrong though haha. I don't know why I see this, but I do. Sometimes a mental image of a forum person comes to mind, but that too is usually wrong. I just base it on grammar and writing style, that really is all you can do to identify someone on a forum. I usually get use to this and skip posts by people who tend to have persistent bad grammar.

I do it alot...but i have to see said persons post alot. Example: if i saw a bunch of post by Hodge and read them all after a while i would build up a sort of look...for some reason its always an animal though... :? *sigh* as for people on this site...alot of mature ones surprisingly. Only people i dislike, and i wont name them, are the ones that post in a thread instantly bashing at a person for their opinion...the ones that post saying shit because there was another post just like it...the "search" option is NOT ALWAYS HELPFUL!!!..and they do it in such rude ways to. "there was already a fucking thread like this dipshit"...like seriously? no need to be rude..just dont post at all?? Oh and another thing...not to be mean or call out people but i usually see that users with a high post usually are the ones who are rude and mean (1000+post). Not calling anyone out or anything...just saying most the times i see someone rambling and saying shit in a rude manner its usually a high rank...other then that i like everyone on here. Good site. visit everyday :)

Heiarchy of how you guys look (to me anyways):

1. If you posted a pic in the Faces of x360a congrats, you would look like you, but with beards. Maybe a Zach Galifianakis beard. This includes the ladies.

2. No pic? No prob. If you show your gamertag, you would look like your xbox avatar. Even if you are clearly a dude and your avatar is a dudette, then you sir are a dudette.

3. If your x360a name or gamertag is someone famous, then you shall be a clone of that person. Unless you are that person, then wtf are you doing here? :p

4. If your x360a avatar or sig is a pic of a person (real or imaginary), then you are that person. See 2.

5. If you post an advert then you are a robot.

Edited by Wii187

I do it alot, Mostly only on users with a Sig or a Picture i reconize. I hardly ever go by name. So if they change the sig or picture i pretty much forget who they are.

I normaly judge people completely wrong, When i first started there was a few members that i Just didnt like the look of, The way they posted, the things they said, ect, ect. Then a few months later they would be completely diffrent to how i thought they was.

I do try to treat everyone the same tho, If i've argued with a person in one thread i keep it to just that thread and have no bad feelings towards them in another thread and will happily help them out with any problems. Although there are one or 2 members members i will treat diffrently, like not talking back to mods even if i feel they are in the wrong(Learnt my lesson the first time) Or i somtimes dont post my opinion in a thread if i feel the OP is the sort of person that will rage at me if i have a diffrent opinion to he's.

I never really try to judge someone's personality based upon what they post here. Many people are extremely different in terms of personality online and offline.

I sometimes try to picture what other members look like though when they post. I do this in another message board too. Don't know why, but it's interesting (especially if you later find out what they look like).

i have judged the guy on here TitansWar now because every post i see that he has is either flaming, being a troll, sounding like a dick, or posting pointless stuff a lot so i usually skip over that specific guy's posts now.

I hear you man. Having a dig at me for no reason lol. I (yes I am this sad) looked through his recent posts and about 50% of them are flaming people. I just see no need for it TBH.

On topic: I don't know why but I get a feel of the user's age from their posts lol. I can tell most mods are older than me because they are so mature and don't take anything to heart, I don't think. I can tell when users are around my age with the words they use and the way they type.

Edited by jamie1000013

I'm too busy lobbying government and organising rallies to get Sega to make Shenmue 3, as well as sparing any free time I have coaching Emile Heskey. I just don't have the time these days to judge folk on here, most are far younger than me (Not Creech).

If anyone wonders if I am as handsome as Ryo, then I'm sorry, I may have led you on. Here I am in all my clown glory.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6973/allianzs.jpg

I judge people by their gamertags usally and somtimes i'm wrong. I usally go by the idea that if their tag is xXisnipeMLGXx then their probly some teenage kid with some super testerone boost. But it could be somthing like Waggly Bean and i think their creative or imaginitive etc. Although i hate to think with a tag of just my name people may think im boring. Intresting thread though got me thinking quite a bit

Also to wii187 - Does that mean i'm super mario to you? Woohoo let'sa play some xbox

Edited by Gareth Dent

i have judged the guy on here TitansWar now because every post i see that he has is either flaming, being a troll, sounding like a dick, or posting pointless stuff a lot so i usually skip over that specific guy's posts now.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

@Jamie. I always thought you were a World Cup. Now you've shattered my dreams.