Is it worth it to get the Xbox360 just for Kinect games?

scuzzybum

Okay, if you are INTERESTED in getting up and moving around don't listen to the lazy bums up ^ there. Some don't have Kinect and some that do only have it so they can tell their xbox what to do and not have to push any buttons.. lol.. (just playing you guys)

If you WANT to get up and move around a little, then it is awesome. There are fun games. Not 'hardcore' games no, but there are plenty of those for the 360 using the controller.

IMHO the Kinect IS worth buying the 360 for. (Granted, I love dancing and workout games) Some games might seem kiddie, but heck they are just as fun with adults. I have had like 15 adults in my house fighting for turns to play several of the games. (Their poor kids rarely get a chance) One night a bunch of us divided into teams and played Kinect Sports til we were all thoroughly hammered (oh yeah, we were drinking between turns). Anyways, it's a blast, a great party game, and the functionality is surprisingly good.

Advice on getting it to work right, if you have a light RIGHT over your head it doesn't see your legs so good. We invested in getting a light for up near our tv that points towards the center of the room. And you do NOT need 10 feet at least. We have around 6 and it's fine. Would be nice to have more room, but it's not necessary. As long as you have enough room for two people to stand side by side you're good.

(I know I wrote a lot, but ^ guys keep saying not worth it and I want to make it very clear that it is and they don't know what they are talking about. :0p Nah, it's just not up their alley... if it IS up your alley which it sounds like it is, then YES totally worth it!)

You're so very open minded. I applaud you Kitty! :)

Although I did say it's not worth it, I still don't regret my purchase one bit. I use it for the Dashboard and watching netflix all the time, and Kinect Adventures surprised me actually! Although I'm still more of a core gamer, I wouldn't want to be left out when games start saying they are better with Kinect and have that odd Kinect Achievement tied to them. Then again, I always buy every periphreal for my consoles.. always have because I don't like being left out of anything!

I found it better than any other similar devices, I'll give you that. I'm not that kind of gamer, so my judgement might be a bit biased. Like ChickinOnaChain said, if you like those games, you'll probably enjoy it. Besides, there must be a bunch of games for Kinect at this point.

Edited by One Winged Joker

It is absolutely worth it. I use it all the time, at least once a week now since it has came out.

The games for it are fun, but you cant go into a game with the "Kinect sucks" attitude. You are guaranteed to hate the game with that attitude. Now the games aren't really "Hardcore", but that doesn't mean they are not fun.

I constantly hear people complaining about the Kinect, but the only reasons I ever get is

1. "The games suck", which is absolutely not true, most people who say that haven't played anything past Kinect Adventures (The game that comes with Kinect) or are expecting hardcore FPS games, but if anything like that was attempted and actually came out, Lord knows people would chew that game up and spit it out because its not the next CoD.

2. "It doesn't read well", which is another invalid statement because I have yet to have an issue other than Kung Fu Panda 2( That game is just simply broken). Plus, you are the controller, any problems 99% of the time it is lighting or user error.

3. "You need 6ft". How could you be in a room that doesn't offer 6ft of standing space? Are you in the closet? If so then there is a device out there to reduce needed space, not sure how well it'll work though.

Edited by Foxxy kyle

3. "You need 6ft". How could you be in a room that doesn't offer 6ft of standing space? Are you in the closet? If so then there is a device out there to reduce needed space, not sure how well it'll work though.

The device that reduces needed space DOES work. I have family who literally only has 4 feet between their kinect and their coffee table. It helped greatly with their situation. The only problem is it is not as precise. I suggest putting it above your tv personally, putting it very high does add a little bit of room. Maybe that's why our 6 foot area works fine.

(Like your post Kyle)

As far as putting hardcore games on kinect goes, footage I have seen of motion-based first person shooters is horrible. There seems to be no way to do it well. That's why the WiiU brought out their 'pro controller' so that they could have good hardcore games on it more.

Sometimes I also feel like just sitting down chilling on some Halo, but other days having the Kinect is just the best. (If you like Disney at ALL, Disneyland Adventures is one of the best games for it and some of the minigames are very challenging)

Congratulations on your purchase! I would also highly recommend Halo and some exclusives or some third party games that run better on 360 (Skyrim and its DLC come to mind instantly).

Star Wars is pretty good, as is Fruit Ninja, although I personally find Michael Jackson: The Experience to be better on PS3 with the Move (because alternating between singing and dancing just doesn't work...all one or the other, or both the entire time, but not half and half.)

I don't understand the people that say space shouldn't be an issue. Unless you have 6-10 feet between your TV AND your couch (or you can move the couch, because who's couch isn't directly opposite their TV?) and no coffee table in between OF COURSE space is going to be an issue.

That's the reason I don't use the Kinect as much as I should, because not only do I have to move furniture to use it, I also have to take the entire system out of my gaming room, set it up in the living room and then put it away before the girlfriend gets home. I would actually like to use it more, but oh well.

And following on from the game recommendations and talk of normal games with Kinect features, don't buy Binary Domain with the intention of using voice commands. Don't get me wrong, I love it as a non-kinect game, but the voice commands are completely broken. Or maybe it just doesn't like my scummy brummy accent, I'm not sure which.

Every time I shouted "help me", my guy said "I like you!" I mean seriously, the two phrases sound nothing alike!

That's the reason I don't use the Kinect as much as I should, because not only do I have to move furniture to use it, I also have to take the entire system out of my gaming room, set it up in the living room and then put it away before the girlfriend gets home. I would actually like to use it more, but oh well.

You can't have your system set up in the living room when she's home?! :eek: *Hears distant 'wa-tish' sound* :p

;5432468']Or maybe it just doesn't like my scummy brummy accent, I'm not sure which.

Every time I shouted "help me", my guy said "I like you!" I mean seriously, the two phrases sound nothing alike!

I don't know, I'd be more willing to help someone who said "I like you!".

Seriously though, I have noticed it doesn't work well with accents. I have a cousin who has a deep Texas accent and it doesn't recognize his voice well either. Usually I pipe in and say it and it works fine. It also seems to have extreme trouble with British accents. Voice recognition software is still on the rise. Try using Dragon (speech recognition software). Nothing's got it down perfectly yet.

I know many have answered you already, but here is my opinion. It is also easier if you get the zoom item that you can clip to the top of your tv, it allows you to stand closer so that furniture does not need to be moved so far away. If you plan on getting a kinect this can be helpful.

I play kinect, but find its more fun if played with others. Examples being Wipe Out and Zumba Fitness with my kids. If you enjoy playing with others I would definitely say get kinect (although i would suggest only get the arcade 360 as its cheaper if kinect is your only reason for buying).

Otherwise as far as single player games for kinect, my experience is limited to only Rise of Nightmares, but I honestly found it kinda fun to play. So see how you feel about it and go for it if you truly think you would use it.

Edited by Acid Wire

• 2 weeks later...

Set up the console a couple days back and have tried Kinect Adventures and Dance Central 3. Enjoyed DC3 a lot more though! :D Can't wait to get my hands on other exclusives!

Off topic but I set up my Xbox Live account and found out they actually generated a random username? My username is pretty crappy now! And sadly, someone have used the name I used in PSN, Steam, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Our cousin was pro-ps3 and anti-360 until he saw games using the kinect. After he saw those, he changed his mind about getting the 360 based on the kinect - because he had argued that exclusive games weren't worth it but the kinect made it worth it. (Not saying I agree, I'm the reverse from him about ps3 and 360 but just saying, for some people it does make it worth it)