C...S...R... What's That Stand For?

LickableLemons7

David Cage is an overrated douche who needs to pull his head out of his own ass.

The whole concept that the industry will die without innovation is flawed as a premise. Just because triple A titles are mostly sequels doesn't mean that no one is making new games, it just means that people obviously want more of what they know is good. Those new groundbreaking games will still get made and if they're so good, they get sequels because people want more of it. No one has a gun to our heads when we buy video games.

Maybe if Heavy Rain wasn't a piece of garbage people would have wanted a sequel.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how it didn't take long for commentators in the first article to bring up CoD.

I wonder how much I would like Halo: Combat Evolved if there was no 2, 3, books, etc. Sequels provide a nice bolster to devs and publishers but there's a point where they just need to stop. I'm fine with a good trilogy but when a franchise has 5 plus games under its belt, I can't help but feel burnt out if I keep seeing redundant features. I'm happy Reach introduced armor abilities, they were a great way to bring something new to Halo but the way AAs were implemented in multiplayer was God awful since people abused armor lock the first few weeks after Reach launched. I also enjoy the ordanance drops in Halo 4, but I wish they were just one thing, like call in 2 grenades or more ammo for the weapon you're currently carrying.

The Halo franchise is the most I've ever invested in a gaming franchise, I've purchased all the games, some LEs, the PC versions of CE and 2, and some Halo-themed controllers. But I want to see it end, soon. The further we carry on, the more disappointed I am, and the more "samey same" feel is what I generally receive. Maybe we could see some future books, or a live action film, but no more games after 6.

Aren't we all tired of John McClane now? How much more shit can that guy possibly take? I feel like that's what my approach to Chief will be like once Halo 6 hits shelves. Some old dude in shiny armor. Bring on the gun show.

Edited by LickableLemons7

I'm all for narrative games, open-world games, RPG's, Stealth games, and a lot less Shooters...but this is way to bold of him to say:

"[T]he developer claimed the industry would die without innovation, further noting that while shooters will 'always be successful,' new ideas will benefit the business."

I don't agree. The video game industry won't necessarily die out because it has too many Shooters. With that said, there are plenty Shooters that suck complete ass; he kinda makes it seem like every Shooter is "too successful."

Also, he stats that, "sequels kill creativity." Again, I don't agree. There have been many sequels that are 150x better than their predecessors. Plus, sequels allow games to evolve.

This guy seems a little whack.

The Halo franchise is the most I've ever invested in a gaming franchise, I've purchased all the games, some LEs, the PC versions of CE and 2, and some Halo-themed controllers. But I want to see it end, soon. The further we carry on, the more disappointed I am, and the more "samey same" feel is what I generally receive. Maybe we could see some future books, or a live action film, but no more games after 6.

Ditto. Halo should have ended with 3. Halo Reach wasn't even necessary since we already had Nylund's book, "The Fall of Reach" and as much as I love the Campaign of Halo 4, it wasn't that needed. Woulda been more mysterious for Chief to be floating in space and then leave the game like that, right? Or as you said, continue the story through novels, or a film (which would be cool).

EDIT: Beyond: Two Souls looks mad good. PS3 exclusives kick Microsoft's exclusives ass.

Edited by BiggD

EDIT: Beyond: Two Souls looks mad good. PS3 exclusives kick Microsoft's exclusives ass.

Yeah. Sometimes I regret buying a 360, but I would've missed out on a ton of fun with Halo and Gears. I feel like the 360 is more for the "dudebro shoot 'em up" fests, which always make for some great Friday nights.

And when I look at the PS3, all I can imagine myself playing is the Uncharted trilogy, Heavy Rain, Infamous, The Last of Us, and now Beyond: Two Souls. They're so cinematic and have great individual stories, but that's all I can get from these games. I mean, I can just watch a walkthrough on YouTube and experience the storyline. Even though I'm lacking player-game control when watching a walkthrough, I still feel like I'm watching a drawn out movie, and getting some sort of experience from just watching it, enough experience so that I don't have to go out and buy the game (or a PS3). Watching a multiplayer match of Halo 3 on YouTube just isn't the same since you're not egging on a friend over a headset.

But I'm excited to see Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us come to fruition. Naughty Dog is fucking amazing, and they alone are the reason why I keep an eye on their future developing titles(like I do with Bungie-Destiny too).

And it's great to see a recognizable actress take interest in doing some voicework for a videogame. Ellen Page seems like she's enjoying her experience working on Beyond: Two Souls.

Yeah. Sometimes I regret buying a 360, but I would've missed out on a ton of fun with Halo and Gears.

Uncharted trilogy, Heavy Rain, Infamous, The Last of Us, and now Beyond: Two Souls [are] so cinematic and have great individual stories, but that's all I can get from these games.

I never regret having bought an Xbox360, I just wish I had both consoles but then it would be too hard to keep up with all the games on each console.

But I'm with you, Beyond and Last of Us look sooooo sooooo good, even despite them being Single Player only games. I might end up doing the same - watching some YouTube gameplay of the whole campaign to see how they draw out. Just to add, I've never been fond of watching Multiplayer on YouTube or live streams. They're just boring.

I agree with much of what's been said here. I think 'veteran' gamers are at the stage where we only have one ear up our ass rather than our whole head. A couple thoughts:

Mirror's Edge and Dishonored should be mandatory content for any 360 owner. You should be forced to play and complete each of their campaigns before your xbox gets 'unlocked' and is allowed to play new games. They are two of the most unique, well made titles on the 360, period.

Halo is definately in its golden years and we can only hope it ends with Halo 6. As much as I love the series it is time to move on. Unfortunately, IIRC domain registrations and papers have already been filed for Halo 7, 8, and 9. Maybe we won't get there, maybe we will.... but it's a scary thought.

Regarding the industry as a whole and lack of innovation: A lot of innovation is taking place on XBLA. Warp is a fantastic game and showcases what happens when you keep production costs down and open the doors to creativity. I think a larger issue at hand is the overall trend to "dumb down" everything in society, and video games becoming less innovative and such is just a by product of that. Take twitter for example. People are getting to the point that if you can't say what you want to say in 250 characters or less, they have no interest in listening to you. When I pull out my 1200-page fantasy fiction book at work, I get looks like I'm crazy, and this is from college educated nurses with at least a 2-year if not 4-year degree!

To keep these attention-span deprived masses coming back for more, devs keep trying to make games more and more "accessible". In my opinion, this essentially means they are trying to make the games easier and more capable of pick-up-and-play, with no learning curve or skill curve whatsoever.

Look at little kids participating in group sports. They are now given 'participation' trophies. It used to be that if you won, you got a trophy, and if you lost, you didn't. Society is so afraid to negatively impact little Johnny that everyone has to have a trophy/ribbon/whatever. So we're teaching kids at a young age that it's not about the result, but rather that you tried. So when Johnny grows up and plays a truly HARD video game (aka not 'accessible'), he hates it because it doesn't reward him merely for his effort. The game might not even be truly difficult; it just might have a learning curve that takes more than 10 minutes to get the ins and outs of. Johnny goes and tells all his friends game X sucks, and having not even played it, they pass on this falsehood.

Mirror's Edge is a great example of this. The game itself is not truly difficult per se. Doing all the speed runs and time trials can be brain-racking, but for most gamers that isn't an issue because they aren't completionists and you can get through the game just fine without worrying about those specific achievements. The game itself can be played and enjoyed on even a moderate skill level. However, it DOES have a learning curve and it does take more than 10 minutes to get adept enough at it that you're not falling on your face every time you make a big jump. This is the type of game that many younger gamers today, raised on a diet of 'participation medals' and 'accessible' games, would immediately despise for challenging them beyond the most basic of levels.

So despite its innovation, Mirror's Edge never sold very well because it wasn't 'accessible' enough for the masses. If it had come out 10 or 15 years ago when a good challenge was still seen as a positive thing, and we weren't rewarding mediocrity at the alarming rate we do today, it would've sold better in my opinion.

You can see this trend carried over directly in the changes made with Halo 4. I truly don't believe they were trying to be innovative with the changes to the multiplayer. I think they were trying to make it more accessible to ensure that it moved copies. They had a chance to innovate with Spartan Ops, although a cinematic cut scene wrapped around what was essentially 'kill all the enemies' objectives wasn't very far on the innovative end of the spectrum. Given that they had all these armor abilities and such at their disposal, it would've been much better if they required co-op teamwork with various players doing various roles. For instance you could have multiple switches that had to be pressed simultaneously; one placed behind invincible enemies that one player needs to stealth past with active camo, one placed up on a ridge only accessible via jetpack, and a 3rd and possibly 4th placed elsewhere behind enemy lines that have to be broken through via direct or air assaults. Instead we got 'kill everything in sight' missions which felt like slow-paced but unchallenging firefight more than anything else. I like it well enough, but the more I think about it, the less innovative I think it is.

I'm rambling now I think so I'll stop... but that's my take on all this for what it's worth.

Edited by lifeexpectancy

I...that... you... if I'm sleepwalking and somehow found a way to log into your account and type this, I apologize. That was said pretty much exactly word for word how I would describe it. And the thing about kids being raised on participation medals? Spot on. Exactly the problem with society today. Society has failed to acknowledge that life consists of a few winners and a whole lot of losers. The human race is effectively flawed because we're the only species that doesn't kill off it's weak.

Now while I admit we can't just go around killing off those people that aren't worth anything to society (as much as I like this idea), the issue still stands that the very people who are a drain on society are the people that have the largest opinion and largest voice in society. They're the ones throwing tea parties and holding anti-gun petitions. They're offering absolutely nothing of worth to society, but they expect everybody else to cater to them.

Now I can't speak for other countries as I imagine every country is different, but I know in America this is the case. Our citizens are deluded into believing they're all special and all self-deserving and should be handed everything on a silver platter and the unfortunate side effect is the hard working people that give back usually get shafted by the lower beings who are, for whatever turn of luck, hold all the cards.

Bringing it into videogame terms, just as you said, videogames are being dumbed down and simplified so that people can get into them with little to no effort and feel good about themselves. Hell, even things like Disney World, which I remember being full of learning and educational hoohah when I was a child, is completely dumbed down and idiot-proof these days. Why go and learn about things like Water Molecules and Space when you can ride colorful things with funny noises?

Anybody that hasn't seen this movie yet, I highly recommend Idiocracy. This is a perfect example of where Humanity is going to end up if people don't act. And although it doesn't have anything to do with videogames, the videogame industry is a growing form of mass media. It is one of the largest and fastest growing forms of communication in the world. So what kind of message does it portray when developers treat us like idiots by dumbing their games down, but when people respond positively to having their videogames spoonfed to them like infants?

Halo is definately in its golden years and we can only hope it ends with Halo 6. As much as I love the series it is time to move on. Unfortunately, IIRC domain registrations and papers have already been filed for Halo 7, 8, and 9. Maybe we won't get there, maybe we will.... but it's a scary thought.

You can see this trend carried over directly in the changes made with Halo 4. I truly don't believe they were trying to be innovative with the changes to the multiplayer. I think they were trying to make it more accessible to ensure that it moved copies. They had a chance to innovate with Spartan Ops, although a cinematic cut scene wrapped around what was essentially 'kill all the enemies' objectives wasn't very far on the innovative end of the spectrum. Given that they had all these armor abilities and such at their disposal, it would've been much better if they required co-op teamwork with various players doing various roles. Instead we got 'kill everything in sight' missions which felt like slow-paced but unchallenging firefight more than anything else. I like it well enough, but the more I think about it, the less innovative I think it is.

We're kinda going off topic here so I'll just say this.

Bolded quote -> very true, no one's denying that.

If there does come a year past 2020 where there is a Halo 7 onward...then I might actually not bother picking them up. That's fucking ridiculous.

Strategic SpOps would be great, but half the people who play Halo enjoy the mindless "kill everything that moves" and I'm sure a large majority favor it more than our shared liking for a more Co-Op based, teamwork heavy Spartan Ops.

I can't wait until we get into eugenics.

I think I heard something about kids being born with six fingers on each hand. This is happening more frequently. Often times parents choose to remove a finger from each hand of the child's.

Creepy stuff.

A sixth finger seems useless. I'm going to use "a sixth finger" instead of "fifth wheel" now and see if this expression gets going.

Thnx

That was just how I saw it. I thought skill was replacing the sr system.

I don't think so. The SR has nothing to do with skill, and the new skill ranking is not ingame, only on Halo Waypoint and stuff. So there should be no rivalry or reason to remove one of them.