Spartan Ops Finally Fulfills Its Potential. Read Here.

BiggD

Well in other news, I'm happy to announce my Halo collection has regained two very important pieces today. My entire OXM magazine collection from Issue #01 to about a year ago was destroyed when my home was hit with some major water damage. Today I was able to replace two of the 3 most important issues. The December 2004 issue with the Halo 2 review and June 2003 issue with the world's first official Halo 2 Exclusive review. Both are still wrapped in plastic and perfect condition. From the OXM collection, the only other one I'm interested in replacing is issue #2 with the Halo: CE cover and the game walkthrough inside. That one is a tricky beast to find. (Doubt I'll be this lucky, but if anybody reading this has a copy of the magazine in good condition, I'd be willing to give you $10 + shipping. My current mission is to collect magazine with Halo on the Cover.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Episode 8 is now officially released. Haven't played the missions yet since I'm still filling in the last couple chapters for the rebuilt SpOps Commendation thread. I watched the video, though. Disappointingly shorter than the rest, but on a whole new level of epic. Spartan Thorne Fistfight with Gek and our first ever physical footage of [now Admiral] Osman. Guess we know one thing that'll happen in Traviss' next novel. And of course, she still harbors quite a hatred toward Dr. Halsey. No surprise there.

Looking at the levels, I'm disappointed to see that all 5 of them are repeats, Apex being from last week and Cyclone, Warrens, Lockup, & Control were all featured in Episode 6. A couple of the images suggest the layout and appearance will be unique at least, so it should still feel pretty fresh.

Apex I've played and it was a bit larger than last time, but it was the same basic layout with caves and winding beach paths.

Cyclone is the Vortex MP map, so not expecting anything new there

Warrens was the one where we initially found the sleep grunts and were able to jack the banshees. This one I expect will change a bit and hopefully banshee will be brought into play again.

Lockup was the 1st level in Episode 6 where Crimson was being held prisoner. Can't imagine much changed here either, but the image given shows a bright green room in contrast to anywhere we went the first time through, so hopefully we get to visit some new locations in the process.

Control is the level based on Requiem in the Campaign. Hopefully we don't end up in exactly the same area. I'd personally like to go to the Bridge area after the point where the map stopped last time.

Edited by DarkReign2021

Episode 8 is now officially released. Haven't played the missions yet since I'm still filling in the last couple chapters for the rebuilt SpOps Commendation thread. I watched the video, though. Disappointingly shorter than the rest, but on a whole new level of epic. Spartan Thorne Fistfight with Gek and our first ever physical footage of [now Admiral] Osman. Guess we know one thing that'll happen in Traviss' next novel. And of course, she still harbors quite a hatred toward Dr. Halsey. No surprise there.

Just got a chance to catch the Episode 8 Cinematic....DAMN!!! So much awesomeness happening at once. Imagine if a Spartan-II (John) were fighting Gek instead of a weak Spartan-IV.

[spoiler=Thorne]Did they really kill Gek?! What the hell.

Glad to see Osman make an appearance. About damn time. I remember the very first Spartan Ops Cinematic (before I knew who Palmer was) thinking Sarah Palmer was Osman. But damn...her hate towards Halsey hasn't changed a bit. Which worries me because they can't possibly kill Halsey in Spartan Ops or any of the games - she's to vital to their understanding of...well, everything.

Overall, great Intro. Definitely eager to play the Chapters when I get home from work.

Oh, and Sarah Palmer needs to stop trying to hate Halsey. It's getting annoying. Although it was badass she punched the table.

Edited by BiggD

I don't think Lasky will go through with the Kill Order. You could see the hesitation in his facial expressions. He knows Dr. Halsey is the reason the Human race even survived the war and she's the only one that can make sense of anything that's going on around Requiem. Not to mention his unflinching resolve and respect toward the Master Chief would no doubt prevent him from harming her just out of respect. Chief wouldn't want to see her harmed.

I don't think Lasky will go through with the Kill Order. You could see the hesitation in his facial expressions. He knows Dr. Halsey is the reason the Human race even survived the war and she's the only one that can make sense of anything that's going on around Requiem. Not to mention his unflinching resolve and respect toward the Master Chief would no doubt prevent him from harming her just out of respect. Chief wouldn't want to see her harmed.

True. It's not that he doesn't have the balls, he just knows Catherine is too important. She made John -> John saved Humanity 3874 times.

I really want to see Chief and Halsey reunite. Like that's my #1 wish for future Halo games.

I don't think Lasky will go through with the Kill Order.

Fo' sho'. Lasky's disobeyed orders before. Del Rio was a bitch, so Lasky was all like "Fuck you Del Rio!" and stuck it to him.

Admiral Osman's a bitch, so Lasky will go defiant on her ass.

And the events in Forward Unto Dawn...

Oh Lasky, such a rebel.

Wonder what's gonna happen to Halsey now.

I like how the opening cinematics steal the show. Terribly unoriginal episode compared to the previous two in terms of gameplay, but figured they'd reuse some more maps. Wasn't expecting all of them to be reused though.

Lasky seems to be making a career for himself out of being rebellious. Rebellion during FUD ended up him being one of the only survivors + got to meet the Chief + Ended up as Commander aboard Infinity. Disobeying Del Rio landed him the job as Infinity's Captain (although admittedly, Parangosky and Osman wanted Lasky in charge to begin with.) We'll have to see what disobeying Osman will get him. Probably promoted to Admiral.

i haven't watched any of the cinematics for episode 6+. fuck ya'll for spoiling it.

http://i.imgur.com/x6DGt.gif

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34365927.jpg

I like how the opening cinematics steal the show. Terribly unoriginal episode compared to the previous two in terms of gameplay, but figured they'd reuse some more maps. Wasn't expecting all of them to be reused though.

Yeah, I just got done playing through them and they're aren't that great. Missions 4 and 5 were completely useless, like wtf? Cinematic was awesome though.

Lasky seems to be making a career for himself out of being rebellious. We'll have to see what disobeying Osman will get him. Probably promoted to Admiral.

That would be....interesting. Hope something epic happens in the last two Cinematics!

i haven't watched any of the cinematics for episode 6+. fuck ya'll for spoiling it.

Whoops! :(

Chapter 5 was interesting enough for it's own sake, but it was a pain for doing the enemy count solo. Spent half the damn map taking out my own turrets just to keep them from killing anything.

The turrets were pretty sweet but it was just unnecessarily long - too many Chapters have unnecessary amounts of Covie waves.

Was impressed with Episode 9 with the appearance of several things during the cutscene and gameplay....

Word. Overall it was actually a good Episode. I liked how the maps were opened up more and the missions weren't boring at all.

One more Episode, hope they end the Season with a bang.

In the first chapter to this week's, do you notice the Sentinels. They also zap the top of the forerunner structure before we hear a short snippet from the Librarian. I found that interesting.

I sure did. I thought it was both cool and interesting that the were helping us. I don't recall what the Librarian said right now, but when I heard it, I was like "WAIT WHAT?!"

Very cool stuff. I'm sure next week's Season 'finale' will be amazing. I really want a Season 2 now.

I enjoyed it. Not the best in the set and I'm disappointed that they've used the same 5 levels again for yet another Episode, but at least they're finding ways to keep most of the levels feeling fresh(er than the first 5 episodes did.) The only mission I didn't really like this week was 'Clean Up.' That level was fun the first time we went there, but it's the same area and it's failed to change anything up. Still requires going in circles pressing buttons (I'm noticing Halo 4 does a LOT of button pressing. I like the idea of pressing buttons having the small animation instead of mind pressing like most games do, but it does make you more aware of just how often you do press them.)

Fortunately for me, Apex remains my favorite map and generally my favorite series of missions so far. The fact that they let me run through most of it with a Scorpion Tank wins it the title of Best map ever. If only there had been more vehicles though. I'd have loved taking on some Wraiths and Banshee (which seem to have disappeared from existence since Episode 3, Chapter 4. Did we destroy every banshee in existence during that run?)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1GFHHBRpU]Spartan Ops Episode 9: Key - YouTube[/ame]

Holy crap I still hate Sarah Palmer big time since the beginning. Her character development is really bad. I was hoping there'd be a good reason given for me to hate her but everything about her is still wrong: she's inconsiderate, she doesn't care nor have the slightest curiosity to understand any new discoveries or situations. Her character is simply a cliché old male war veteran grunt slapped with a female skin. She doesn't reflect what I've encountered from female commissioned officers. At least Lasky is what I expect of a good character development about a no-nonsense commissioned officer.

I sure did. I thought it was both cool and interesting that the were helping us. I don't recall what the Librarian said right now, but when I heard it, I was like "WAIT WHAT?!"

Since I'm officially out of 14 day trials, I'm forced to watch Spartan Ops on YouTube. I only noticed one person who uploaded a walkthrough of Episode 9 (and he's only uploaded the first 2 chapters so far). He tried to do them solo legendary. Really painful to watch. But anyway, at the end of "The Search for Halsey" Spartan Miller questioned where the sentinels where going once you activated that button, and after a pause, the Librarian said "To the absolute record." Wonder what that is. Since I have to wait for the final 3 chapters to be uploaded, I'll be in the dark for a while, but I assume that this absolute record is not going to be in Episode 9, based on what DarkReign said with more reused maps.

That opening cinematic was awesome. Tension keeps reaching for greater heights. Now that Palmer is "in the know" about Halsey, how could her opinions on Admiral Osman change? And what Halsey accessed...is that similar to how Chief interacted with the Librarian in the main campaign? So both Chief and Halsey never physically met the Librarian?

And Halsey took a bullet to the shoulder. Surprised Palmer missed that shot, but at least Halsey is still alive. For now.

I enjoyed it. Not the best in the set and I'm disappointed that they've used the same 5 levels again for yet another Episode, but at least they're finding ways to keep most of the levels feeling fresh(er than the first 5 episodes did.) The only mission I didn't really like this week was 'Clean Up.' That level was fun the first time we went there, but it's the same area and it's failed to change anything up.

Fortunately for me, Apex remains my favorite map and generally my favorite series of missions so far...I'd have loved taking on some Banshees (which seem to have disappeared from existence since Episode 3. Did we destroy every banshee in existence during that run?)

ARGH. I've just about had it with people mentioning the whole "recycled maps" stuff. Did anyone really expect 343 to have a new map every week!? Firefight only had 4-6 maps and no one complained/mentioned recycled maps then :mad:

Putting my frustration towards those who complain about this (mostly those "not-so-true" Halo fans who comment on the Home Page Articles), I enjoyed almost all the Chapters this week. I like the open area at the end of Chapter 4, and Chapter 5 was pretty solid. The first three Chapters didn't have anything amazing to them, though.

We did, the Covies ran outta Banshees thanks to Crimson Team. There won't be any in Halo 5.

Holy crap I still hate Sarah Palmer big time since the beginning. Her character development is really bad. I was hoping there'd be a good reason given for me to hate her but everything about her is still wrong. At least Lasky is what I expect of a good character development about a no-nonsense commissioned officer.

I enjoyed Palmer a bit during the Campaign - she seemed like a likable character, but the fact that she hates Dr. Halsey for NO REASON bothers the shit outta me.

Maybe because Dr. Halsey is one of my favorite Halo characters, or maybe cause I missed the part where they explain why Palmer hates her - either way, it's just obnoxious. Tom is a good guy. I'm pleased he doesn't want to kill the Doc.

And she [Palmer] looks silly in her Scout Armor. Her helmet looks too big.

[A]t the end of "The Search for Halsey" Spartan Miller questioned where the sentinels where going once you activated that button, and after a pause, the Librarian said "To the absolute record." Wonder what that is...I assume that this absolute record is not going to be in Episode 9.

That opening cinematic was awesome. Tension keeps reaching for greater heights. And what Halsey accessed...is that similar to how Chief interacted with the Librarian in the main campaign? So both Chief and Halsey never physically met the Librarian?

And Halsey took a bullet to the shoulder. Surprised Palmer missed that shot, but at least Halsey is still alive. For now.

YES! That's what she said, and in the Intro Cinematic, The Librarian mentions it to Dr. Halsey. Maybe Crimson Team will get there in Episode 10, and save Halsey? Or at least just go there. And yeah, we don't get to go to the "Absolute Record" this Episode. But I think the ending of this Episode hints at it.

Technically, not physically because those are just the memories of the Librarian - I think - but I think the method in which they both communicated to her was the same, if that's what you're wondering.

I'm almost certain I'm wrong - but I think Palmer shot Halsey on purpose.