A bit confused here about Hard Mode

malvado

I completed hard mode for the black side only but I didn't know it would immediately switch over to the white side. I followed this guide:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=380024

It said to start the hard mode on the black side and then start on white side using the normal difficulty. But if I select New, it says it will overwrite the current data. What I'm afraid is is that if I overwrite that data, would I be able to start a new game with the White side and complete a normal playthrough and then level select all the levels under a hard difficulty? Will the black side levels still be available in that stage select mode? Will I be able to obtain the Normal playthrough achievements using the stage select mode for the Black side? Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah that caught me out too, lol.

A full play through of the campaign involves playing both the Black and White side (and then Red afterwards). It's a bit dumb but you basically have to play through the whole campaign twice; once following the Black -> White -> Red route and again going White -> Black -> Red.

Fortunately you only need to play through one of those two routes on hard mode then you can knock it down to normal

Hope that helps!

People have told me that I haven't actually beaten the game because when I clear stage 4 on one side it starts over on the other side and I have to get to stage 4 again. After that, then it goes to the final stage for the side I originally picked and I actually go on to beat the game. So you're saying, beat this entire playthrough on hard *since I've beaten Blackside hard* all the way until I make to the Red Side and then start a new game under Normal?

A full play through of the campaign involves playing both the Black and White side (and then Red afterwards). It's a bit dumb but you basically have to play through the whole campaign twice; once following the Black -> White -> Red route and again going White -> Black -> Red.

Fortunately you only need to play through one of those two routes on hard mode then you can knock it down to normal

Hope that helps!

This is a better explanation than what's written in the guide.

I started Black on Hard and quit after completing Black, then started White Normal. This has of course fucked up my game. I'm pretty pissed off to say the least.

The guide is written in a slightly confusing way but the picture they put after the description is what convinced me I didn't read it quite right. I'm not too angry at the writer lol. They put a damn picture there to show what you should be looking at, so it's really my fault. But I did the same thing you did. Now I'm on Stage 2 of White Hard after starting Black, so I'm getting there. Then I can start DmC.

Hope that helps!

I wish that it was true that you only had to play one route on hard, but it's not. There's achievements for completing both routes on hard, which is really stupid (Anarchy Reigns is an Oxymoron and Mad Anarchy).

I wish that it was true that you only had to play one route on hard, but it's not. There's achievements for completing both routes on hard, which is really stupid (Anarchy Reigns is an Oxymoron and Mad Anarchy).

If you mean you would have to do the whole game over again on hard, then you don't, that is what the guide was referring to and what the person above said. Once you finished the game on hard and got clear hard achievement and again for clear white achievement go under stage select and finish the missions that are missing medals for the difficulties you didn't start on. ex started white hard. missing black hard clear. so what I do is complete stage 4 mission 3(black) and black-red side. this will count as finishing the game starting hard black. and vice versa for normal opposite color of what i started on hard. It's confusing but overall you do 2 playthroughs: normal of first color and hard of opposite color.

If you mean you would have to do the whole game over again on hard, then you don't, that is what the guide was referring to and what the person above said. Once you finished the game on hard and got clear hard achievement and again for clear white achievement go under stage select and finish the missions that are missing medals for the difficulties you didn't start on. ex started white hard. missing black hard clear. so what I do is complete stage 4 mission 3(black) and black-red side. this will count as finishing the game starting hard black. and vice versa for normal opposite color of what i started on hard. It's confusing but overall you do 2 playthroughs: normal of first color and hard of opposite color.

Sorry but I really don't get it...I've finished Black side hard, I quit than white side normal but i can't select both red sides...when I use stage select do I have to do all the missions again or just the main story? I tried to do Black side normal stage 4 from the level select but nothing as changed and I even didn't get the achievement...

Sorry but I really don't get it...I've finished Black side hard, I quit than white side normal but i can't select both red sides...when I use stage select do I have to do all the missions again or just the main story? I tried to do Black side normal stage 4 from the level select but nothing as changed and I even didn't get the achievement...

You do black side/ white side, get to and finish stage 4, the game switches to the opposite side, complete that to stage 4, then it switches to the red side of the one you started on, complete that and you get the original side's achievement.

Then, if you go through the game again on normal from the opposite side to the one you did the hard playthrough on, that unlocks every level for stage select.

From there you can select the opposite red side to the hard one you already completed and just do that and one fight in stage 4 (You'll know it if you got that far) to get the other hard achievement.

All in all, do one playthrough on hard starting as one side, one playthrough on normal starting as the other side, then stage select the two remaining normal/hard 'complete the game' stages (plus the one left out in stage 4) to get the two remaining achievements.

It's pretty complicated in how it's arranged but it's better than having to play through it four times I guess. Also, you can pick whatever character you want in stage select, which is a huge plus...especially if you were lucky enough to get Bayonetta :D.

So I screwed everything quitting the campaign at the End of the 4th stage...

I and unfortunately a lot others have done this now. What I am hoping (can someone confirm this?) is that since I did Black 1-4 on hard I can...

1. Start Hard on White, complete White-1 to 4, quit
  2. Start Medium on White, complete it all and unlock White Red
  3. Start Easy on Black, complete it all and unlock White Red
  4. Stage Select White Red and Black Red on Hard

In my eyes that'd mean I have every stage done on hard, can stage select White/Black Red and don't have to re-do Black 1-4 on Hard (which would be a nightmare). And it also means I can get the 'no deaths' on Easy.

Someone please confirm if so. :)

The guide is poorely written. It means start hard > finish all the way through till the end THEN restart on normal.

I read it as finish black side then restart. How the guide didnt get proof read before it was posted on the official tab and sticked it beyond me. Guess they will put any old shit on. This is also evident in how the guide has no help to playing the guide (certain tricky bosses etc) Hopefully someone will do a fresh one.

I thought id throw this in cause i just got the achievement and it took a while for me to figure this out, so i did the game on hard (white-black-red) then the opposite story on normal (black-white-red), a campaign is 4 areas with 3 main story missions and 3 side missions in each, but the second part of a story campaign (so if you start with white then black will be the second part of the campaign) the final area only has 2 main story missions. This means because i had all the missions of the white-black-red story done on hard i just had to go to the level select and pick black side and finish story level 3 on hard then complete red story of the black side on hard(thats the top red i believe) to get the achievement. This also works for the normal achievement just do the oposite, white story level 3 and red story of white side. It cuts out more playthrus so i hope this helps anyone who had trouble understanding all the multicoloured story paths!

• 2 months later...

just completed this game today and to clear it up:

starting a new campaign on normal after finishing it on hard DOES NOT OVERWRITE YOUR HARD MODE PROGRESS (i.e., MEDALS) and it works towards unlocking the difficulty specific achievements.

once you finish the campaign on hard, simply select new, choose normal and it will still keep track of your medals from hard mode. when you go to stage select and highlight whichever difficulty you choose, you will then see which missions you've already earned medals in that difficulty.

if, however, you want to be completely sure, copy your save file to another memory. i know i did and found out i didn;t have to when i finally figured out how the game's save system works.

i've also PMed the guide author about it and hopefully he will make the necessary edits.

hope this clears things up.

• 11 months later...