Mastodon/Dethklok Tour

boblosanchez

So I went to my first concert last night, and it was the New York City stop of the Mastodon/Dethklok Tour at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Did any of you all see this tour at another stop or were at this particular show? I enjoyed it very much and I must say, it was the trippiest metal show ever concieved in my opinion with the lights and animations. I'm also proud to say I made my way up to the front of the floor crowd.

Anyway, among all of you metal listeners on this site, what's your take on Mastodon and Dethklok? Do you like/dislike them live? What do you like/dislike about them in general?

And yes, I would appeciate your opinion Apoch, because your music reviews are quite balanced and I like your take on the grand scheme of all things metal.

Well someone has a crush. ;)

Anyway, bromance aside, I never cared for Mastodon. I enjoyed Linoleum Knife, though. Some Dethklok I enjoy, and I enjoy the hell out of the [as] show.

You never forget your first. Concert, not bromance. Despite enjoying metal, I don't like the shows. Maybe I've just gotten too old, but I'd prefer to sit down and drink, rather than have a bunch of teenagers dancing around, kicking me nonstop. They are horrible dancers..

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I prefer the melodic bands. Thrash is fine with me, too. I love Testament. Mastodon, is neither, unfortunately. Dethklok is more melodic, but still not to my liking. I also despise headbanging, probably part of the reason I hate metal shows. I think it makes you look an idiot.

Oh man, lucky!

I'm in norfolk for like 2 days and they're going to the Norva while i'm here!

I can't go because i have to do something early the next morning... like 5 in the morning, and i can't be tired for it.

How was it?

I've never seen them live, but i like their music.

I'm still tring to find a place to find the dethalbum 2.... anyone know where i can find it btw?

You never forget your first. Concert, not bromance.

^--That's going in the sig. I had a good laugh. Anyway I feel like Mastodon's newest album is really melodic. It's got two 10+ minute songs, and the whole thing is a really trippy rock opera when you break down the lyrics.

And no, I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, because I'm really not a fanboy of these guys, but I'd have to say that at the very least Crack in the Skye is a pretty epic and melodic opera.

@KFZ Scrubs: Mastodon is really good live but the small venue (look at video of any Hammerstein Ballroom show) made the lyrics really dampened by the overpowering drums, guitar and bass, which I really didn't mind given the skill of their drummer and guitarists. And like I mentioned, the lights/screen show (they show clips of Metalocalypse behind Dethklok and random pieces of album art behind Mastodon) make it feel like a Grateful Dead concert.

And also, although this is off-topic, I'm looking for recommendations to be able to represent x360a now, so just please send me a PM about that.

Edited by boblosanchez

I really want to catch this show in Charlotte, but unfortuantely, I won't be able to. As for my take on both bands, I love them. I find Mastodon really enjoyable; their music seems to flow quite well. And Dethklok: well, they're just pure awesomeness in music form.

I really want to catch this show in Charlotte, but unfortuantely, I won't be able to. As for my take on both bands, I love them. I find Mastodon really enjoyable; their music seems to flow quite well. And Dethklok: well, they're just pure awesomeness in music form.

I agree. I think the best parts of Dethklok's set were Hatredcopter, the theme song and Duncan Hills Coffee. And there was another song that I didn't recognize that was great, but the animations were even better: they consisted of Nathan Explosion in black knight's armor riding a dragon and fighting zombies in the air that were giant hawks and he was lopping their faces off with a black axe and the dragons were grabbing the hawks with their claws and ripping heads and limbs off. It was epic.

Dethklok is amazing. I have the first two seasons of Metalocalypse on DVD. It's one of the best television shows ever! I've been dying to see them live, but they usually only go to college campuses when they tour, or so it seems.

Mastadon is also an amazing band. They're so unique! Everything about them strikes me as different, and that's what I love about them. Their lyrics and their music just stands above most metal bands these days.

Dethklok is amazing. I have the first two seasons of Metalocalypse on DVD. It's one of the best television shows ever! I've been dying to see them live, but they usually only go to college campuses when they tour, or so it seems.

Mastadon is also an amazing band. They're so unique! Everything about them strikes me as different, and that's what I love about them. Their lyrics and their music just stands above most metal bands these days.

Mastodon really is a pretty unique metal band in that their singing/shouting/screaming mix is very unique, even when you factor in bands like Trivium, where their screaming is great and so is their actual SINGING in their choruses and breaks.

Also, I'd check Ticketmaster for the venues of this particular tour because now that they share the headlining spot with Mastodon, they need a slightly larger venue (yes, Hammerstein is a pretty small ballroom, but it's far better than a college auditorium or theater, and they don't need Madison Square Garden, which is just across the street from Hammerstein in the heart of midtown Manhattan). So I'd just double check on their websites. And this should probably make you want to see Dethklok even more: I have to say, especially with Dethklok, their energy and enthusiasm on-stage makes their live show a lot more intense than their already rediculous recordings.

I went to the show in St. Paul a few weeks back. It was kinda crazy - they had to move the location. It was originally scheduled at a bar (The Myth) but they moved to a small arena (Roy Wilkins Auditorium).

Anyway, went to see Mastodon. I like Dethklok and all but I had to work at 4 am so we only stayed for about three songs of their set. And one of the opening bands, I think it was Converge, was one of the worst bands I've ever seen..

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I prefer the melodic bands. Thrash is fine with me, too. I love Testament. Mastodon, is neither, unfortunately. Dethklok is more melodic, but still not to my liking. I also despise headbanging, probably part of the reason I hate metal shows. I think it makes you look an idiot.

Dude, if you listen to Mastodons most recent album "Crack The Skye", you'll find the most beautiful melodies and counter-point harmonies played by Bill and Brent, it's magnificent and I know for a fact they played their full Crack The Skye setlist that night, maybe you were distracted by all the kicking teenagers who really shouldn't have been at a Mastodon and Dethklok gig, cause I guarantee they have no appreciation of the music.

I haven't got too much experience in Dethkloks work, but any band that tour with Mastodon must be good, Mastodon work with Sludge and Prog elements so there are bound to be strange and interesting melody workings in their songs, so saying Mastodon is neither Melodic nor Thrash (which by the way doesnt make sense as Thrash Metal is a sub-genre and Melody is a musical element, is complete BS.

^--That's going in the sig. I had a good laugh. Anyway I feel like Mastodon's newest album is really melodic. It's got two 10+ minute songs, and the whole thing is a really trippy rock opera when you break down the lyrics.

I'm glad. Didn't mean to come off as an asshole, even though sometimes I do.

Dude, if you listen to Mastodons most recent album "Crack The Skye", you'll find the most beautiful melodies and counter-point harmonies played by Bill and Brent, it's magnificent and I know for a fact they played their full Crack The Skye setlist that night, maybe you were distracted by all the kicking teenagers who really shouldn't have been at a Mastodon and Dethklok gig, cause I guarantee they have no appreciation of the music.

I didn't go to the concert. I meant metal shows in general piss me off. Maybe that one was decent. I don't know, because I wasn't there.

As for Mastodon's newest, I haven't heard it. Because I don't like Mastodon, I didn't buy it. If a friend gets it, I'll borrow it sometime. Besides, I've grown weary of metal. Metal and I feel it's best to separate for awhile.

Besides, I've grown weary of metal. Metal and I feel it's best to separate for awhile.

I'm the same way right now, and have been for quite some time... It's a great thing. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the genres I'm most fond of, generally speaking, but it's just not enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love to blast some church burning, goat killing, tooth-necklace-making, black metal as much as I can, but the same goes for any other genre.