If you're wondering why you didn't get an event ribbon...

lifeexpectancy

Poor programming? Or developer lazyness  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Poor programming? Or developer lazyness

• Poor programming with no foresight of achievement requirements.
    • Lazy developers who want to stop coding new events.

Is EPIC actually TRYING to get people to stop playing their games??? Its like they sit around in meetings and say, "well, we have made pretty much all that we are going to from these idiots, so fuck the rest".

I don't like the online matches in gears, never have. I only play when there is an event. According to the event calendar in the game menu, there has only been about 8 events. Oh, thats right, we don't update the event calendar becuase we are too busy thinking up ways to fuck you out of more of your money

This is probably the shittiest thing that I have ever heard of a game manufacturer doing. WHY can't you earn a ribbon for the same event more than once. That is like saying there will be no Christmas because we had one last year.

They really are living up to their "EPIC Fail" reputation.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their excuse for not being able to re-earn the same ribbon does not make sense to me. Out of the first 30 events there were multiples of the same event, 2 torque bow tags, 2 shotguns and snipers, 2 can you dig it etc

So if there were multiples of the same event then i'm guessing they just re-named the ribbon for each of the same events, so why can't they just have the same events now like raven down 24/7 but make the ribbon a different name?

I call BS on there excuse, they are clearly too lazy to keep putting efforts into this game, they probably want to concentrate on their new games.

Edited by Lothra

Am I missing something here? Raven Down is a new map, how can this have already had an event tied to it? Edit: Nevermind, I know how it works now. It's the ribbon that counts, not so much the event.

I'm on 29/30 for the War Supporter medal and have so far played a half a dozen games today and no ribbon for my Onyx Medal.

Also, I'm convinced I played the first Torque Bow Tag and earned the ribbon for it, then I played last week or whenever it was back on recently and I still earned a ribbon for it.

This is pretty rubbish on Epic's behalf.

Same. I KNOW I played it when the game launched...was like the second or third event, iirc. Played it last week and got another ribbon. Something fishy about this, imo.

I don't believe they preplanned how many events they were going to do, simply because that if they had you wouldn't be able to re-Onyx the medal. Basically it boils down to they're tired of making new events. I knew this was going to happen at some point, so one thing I can say in their favor at least is that they aren't requiring you to hit every event. The inability to check which ones you have done though is a big fuck up. No foresight.

I also want to point out, despite the fact that I voted the second option on the poll, that it's not up to the developers. At some point someone running shit was going to say "move on to something else" and it looks like this has happened.

Edited by dakisbac

tats confusing... u see i did not play the first event aftr the game was launched.. so according to the post i sld be getn it this week as its been reset this week.. rite.. im sure i havnt played raven down 24/7 before.. so i tried it thirce today and didnt get the medal!!! why?! this is real bullshit from epic.. the gamers must do something about this.. they cant do this to us.. what garantee do i have that i might get the ribbons in the second cycle.. as i did not today... this is not right!

I have bad news for anyone that did all the early events for Gears 3 but missed the last 5-10 events or so. Taken directly from Pete's Twitter, there is apparently a maximum number of unique events they can create. Also, you cannot re-earn an event ribbon you have already earned.

What this means is that they are "resetting the cycle" of events. So if you played at launch and earned the early ribbons, but haven't played recently, you will have to wait until the event weekends 'cycle through' any events you've already participated in until there are event weekends you missed.

Sounds like bollox right? Wait, it gets worse. There is absolutely no way to tell in-game or on their site which ribbons you've gotten.

For someone like myself that didn't start doing events until Jan 28th and has done every event since then save for one, this isn't a big deal. I didn't do the first 14 or so events, and I only need 13 more. I just have to make SURE I do the next 13 or I'll be waiting another several months after that on the supposed "cycle".

However, for someone that did the early events and somehow missed the latter ones, it will be a long painful wait until there are events that register for them. For someone that played off and on and missed single or two week couplets of events here and there, there will be no recourse but to play EVERY week from here on in and just hope for the best.

Does this sound bogus to anyone but me? They reduced the requirements for Socialite after launch. For them to say now that they only coded the game to allow for 35ish 'unique' ribbons STINKS worse than a glue factory in July of BS. Seriously people - no pun intended - do they think we as gamers are THAT naive?

I find it far more likely they simply got tired of creating new events and decided just to set the servers to loop ad infinitum the ones they have already created.

Poor programming? Or just developer lazyness...

it turns out that they dont appear in the same order its all random.. man that just makes it worse! epic are so lucky to have dedicated gamers..

it turns out that they dont appear in the same order its all random.. man that just makes it worse! epic are so lucky to have dedicated gamers..

Where did you hear it will be random? I thought this weekend's ribbon was the same as the first one that they did, "Welcome Back". The understanding was they just restarted the rotation. Or was this week being the same as week 1 a coincidence?

Edited by lifeexpectancy

Where did you hear it will be random? I thought this weekend's ribbon was the same as the first one that they did, "Welcome Back". The understanding was they just restarted the rotation. Or was this week being the same as week 1 a coincidence?

So the events may be different but the ribbons will start over. Like it is Raven Down 24/7 but the ribbon is from the 1st week? So next week it will be the ribbon from the Big Heads event but might not actually be a Big Heads event? Confusing.

So the events may be different but the ribbons will start over. Like it is Raven Down 24/7 but the ribbon is from the 1st week? So next week it will be the ribbon from the Big Heads event but might not actually be a Big Heads event? Confusing.

Exactly. I went slumming on Epics forums to post almost this very same poll thread and it was removed in a matter on MINUTES.

Those assholes are so full of shit and anyone that believes the tripe they're selling.... Well hey, I have this bridge I'll sell you for a bargain.

can we still earn a ribbon by playing any mode? I get my ribbons from brothers to the end to avoid people. No ribbon this time and i have no idea what i have played. I will just play this mode once every weekend and hope to get it up from 18/20 i am on now

can we still earn a ribbon by playing any mode? I get my ribbons from brothers to the end to avoid people. No ribbon this time and i have no idea what i have played. I will just play this mode once every weekend and hope to get it up from 18/20 i am on now

Yes any mode. People say horde and beast are supposed to work too but they never have for me. I always just play a match of warzone in the standard playlist as those matches usually end quick.

i dunno.. after reading ur post i checked out other sites.. and many of them say its a random rotation.. theres a list on true achievements posted by some guy for the achievement guide.. it wld ve been really nice if it was random.. though i dont remember which all i got...

i dunno.. after reading ur post i checked out other sites.. and many of them say its a random rotation.. theres a list on true achievements posted by some guy for the achievement guide.. it wld ve been really nice if it was random.. though i dont remember which all i got...

Would've been nice? Random is the last thing we need at this point. At least if they go in order most people will have a vague idea of when they might need to play and if we play every weekend we can start crossing off ribbons as we go, in order, and keep a list of which ones too look for henceforth. You're crazy lol... random... no thanks :)

Would've been nice? Random is the last thing we need at this point. At least if they go in order most people will have a vague idea of when they might need to play and if we play every weekend we can start crossing off ribbons as we go, in order, and keep a list of which ones too look for henceforth. You're crazy lol... random... no thanks :)

Maybe that's the point....to get people on every weekend.

Maybe that's the point....to get people on every weekend.

Theoreticaly, couldn't we say this achievement is now unachievable?If the events are randomly rotated now, who's to say they dont repeat the same event from a few weeks(or one you may have)ago?I could see them doing something like this just to fuck people over.

Here I am thinking I had to wait 4 months before socialite could be unlocked(15/30).So now it might take longer than that....?Thanks Epic.With your multiple resets, communist state run message boards, joy that is S3.0, lack of support for your own game among other things....I gotta ask...Are you guys doing this shit on purpose?

Forcing people to play your game, is NOT the same as people actually WANTING to play your game.

sorry there.. correction.. what i meant was it wld ve been rly nice if its WASNT random.. missed out on 2 letter.. sorry...

36) Raven Down 24/7 - May 18th to May 21st (FoN) [Wannabe Actuary via PM]

35) Shot Through The Heart - May 11th to May 14th (FoN - Torque Bow Tag) [xZer0ex via post]

34) KOTGnasher - May 5th to May 8th (FoN) [Wannabe Actuary via PM]

33) My Baby Shot me Down! - Apr 27th to Apr 30th (FoN - Bang Bang) [xZer0ex via post]

32) Creapy Crawly - Apr 20th to Apr 24th (Lightning | Beast) [Naughty Died via PM]

31) Struck by Lightning - Apr 13th to Apr 16th (Lightning Round Playlist) [LGS I Hitman & TE4RIN IT UP via post]

30) Easter Bunny Hunter - Apr 6th to Apr 9th [icy iNs via post]

29) Raven Down Survivor - Mar 30th to Apr 2nd [merkins via post]

28) Forces of Nature - Mar 27 to Mar 29 [LGS | Hitman via post]

27) Torque Tagged - Mar 23rd to Mar 26th [LGS I Hitman via post]

26) Almost Time for DLC - Mar 15th to ??? ??? [LGS I Hitman & Piemanns Bakery via post]

25) Gnashers 4 Life - Mar 6th to Mar 10th [ComesBrothers via PM]

24) March on Gears - Mar 3rd to Mar 6th [Gumbeaux Jr. via PM]

23) Can You Dig It - Feb 24th to Feb 27th [Cobryza via PM]

22) Boom Snipes - Feb 17th to Feb 20th [xDevilz 1 via PM]

21) Cupid's Wingman - Feb 10th to Feb 15th [un4given Raider via PM]

20) The Grayson Cup - Feb 3rd to Feb 6th [semi kid via PM]

19) Get Gnashy - Jan 27th to Jan 30th [o Progressive o via post]

18) Winning Weekend - Jan 20th to Jan 23rd [xDevilz 1 via PM]

17) Horde Dance-a-Thon - Jan 13th to Jan 16th [mr matty uk via Post]

16) Stranded KOTH - Jan 6th to Jan 8th [sedgendary via Post]

15) Triple Team - Dec 29th to 31st [sixtyFootMonkey via Post]

14) The Twelve Days of Gearsmas (Part III) - Dec 21st to Dec 25th

13) The Twelve Days of Gearsmas (Part II) - Dec 17th to Dec 20th

12) The Twelve Days of Gearsmas (Part I) - Dec 13th to Dec 16th

11) Brothers to the End - Dec 9th to Dec 12th

10) This Is My Rifle - Dec 2nd to Dec 5th

09) Thanksgibbing - Nov 24th to Nov 28th

08) Blades and Nades - Nov 18th to Nov 20th

07) One shot, One kill - Nov 11th to Nov 13th

06) Can you dig it? - Nov 4th to Nov 7th

05) Happy Halloween & Boom Snipes - Oct 28th to Oct 31st

04) Hardcore Weekend - Oct 21st to Oct 24th

03) Torque Bow Tag - Oct 14th - Oct 17th

02) Big Head Mode Weekend - Oct 7th - Oct 10th

01) Golden Wings week - Sep 20th - Sep 26th

thats the lsit i got frm true achievements.. and i cant figure out the repetition... what was raven down 24/7 in the last cycle?!

36) Raven Down 24/7 - May 18th to May 21st (FoN) [Wannabe Actuary via PM]

35) Shot Through The Heart - May 11th to May 14th (FoN - Torque Bow Tag) [xZer0ex via post]

34) KOTGnasher - May 5th to May 8th (FoN) [Wannabe Actuary via PM]

33) My Baby Shot me Down! - Apr 27th to Apr 30th (FoN - Bang Bang) [xZer0ex via post]

32) Creapy Crawly - Apr 20th to Apr 24th (Lightning | Beast) [Naughty Died via PM]

31) Struck by Lightning - Apr 13th to Apr 16th (Lightning Round Playlist) [LGS I Hitman & TE4RIN IT UP via post]

30) Easter Bunny Hunter - Apr 6th to Apr 9th [icy iNs via post]

29) Raven Down Survivor - Mar 30th to Apr 2nd [merkins via post]

28) Forces of Nature - Mar 27 to Mar 29 [LGS | Hitman via post]

27) Torque Tagged - Mar 23rd to Mar 26th [LGS I Hitman via post]

26) Almost Time for DLC - Mar 15th to ??? ??? [LGS I Hitman & Piemanns Bakery via post]

25) Gnashers 4 Life - Mar 6th to Mar 10th [ComesBrothers via PM]

24) March on Gears - Mar 3rd to Mar 6th [Gumbeaux Jr. via PM]

23) Can You Dig It - Feb 24th to Feb 27th [Cobryza via PM]

22) Boom Snipes - Feb 17th to Feb 20th [xDevilz 1 via PM]

21) Cupid's Wingman - Feb 10th to Feb 15th [un4given Raider via PM]

20) The Grayson Cup - Feb 3rd to Feb 6th [semi kid via PM]

19) Get Gnashy - Jan 27th to Jan 30th [o Progressive o via post]

18) Winning Weekend - Jan 20th to Jan 23rd [xDevilz 1 via PM]

17) Horde Dance-a-Thon - Jan 13th to Jan 16th [mr matty uk via Post]

16) Stranded KOTH - Jan 6th to Jan 8th [sedgendary via Post]

15) Triple Team - Dec 29th to 31st [sixtyFootMonkey via Post]

14) The Twelve Days of Gearsmas (Part III) - Dec 21st to Dec 25th

13) The Twelve Days of Gearsmas (Part II) - Dec 17th to Dec 20th

12) The Twelve Days of Gearsmas (Part I) - Dec 13th to Dec 16th

11) Brothers to the End - Dec 9th to Dec 12th

10) This Is My Rifle - Dec 2nd to Dec 5th

09) Thanksgibbing - Nov 24th to Nov 28th

08) Blades and Nades - Nov 18th to Nov 20th

07) One shot, One kill - Nov 11th to Nov 13th

06) Can you dig it? - Nov 4th to Nov 7th

05) Happy Halloween & Boom Snipes - Oct 28th to Oct 31st

04) Hardcore Weekend - Oct 21st to Oct 24th

03) Torque Bow Tag - Oct 14th - Oct 17th

02) Big Head Mode Weekend - Oct 7th - Oct 10th

01) Golden Wings week - Sep 20th - Sep 26th

thats the lsit i got frm true achievements.. and i cant figure out the repetition... what was raven down 24/7 in the last cycle?!

there has to be an explanation.. either its random or in order.. and some times the event dont appear in the in game calendar.. is this because i have the corresponding ribbon? nuthn showed up in the calendar for raven down 24/7? but it din show up last week either for the torque bow thing.. but i did get that ribbon.. that also shows its not in order as i did not play the first event.. and i got nuthn for playn raven down 24/7.. man this is such a mess.. cant rly explain why im wasting time doing this..

I did not read any of the posts after the main topic.

My own two cents (personal opinion, not the proven truth):

They did this for the same reason they made Onyx Medals and their requirements:

This is their last Gears of War game (at least from the main trilogy). They want us playing on it for a long time. So, if any of us were stubborn enough to finish the Onyx Medals off by boosting, but some bad luck befell us and could not do some unknown event somewhere in the center of the cycle, we would be forced to still play for a longer period of time.

I did not read any of the posts after the main topic.

My own two cents (personal opinion, not the proven truth):

They did this for the same reason they made Onyx Medals and their requirements:

This is their last Gears of War game (at least from the main trilogy). They want us playing on it for a long time. So, if any of us were stubborn enough to finish the Onyx Medals off by boosting, but some bad luck befell us and could not do some unknown event somewhere in the center of the cycle, we would be forced to still play for a longer period of time.

I guess that's possible, but I still think the more likely scenario is that they wanted to "set it and forget it". Aka they wanted to put the servers on 'loop' for the 35 events they had already made and walk away. This way they don't have to code another ribbon each week.

Granted I'm no programmer but I can't imagine the process of creating a new event ribbon from pre-existing code is THAT long, but every second they spend on Gears 3 now is time taken from their next endeavor.

They're ready to move on to the next cash grab. The only thing we can do about it as gamers is speak with our wallets and NEVER buy another Epic Games product again.