Scared to start Combat Challenges. Any tips?

CoolMarquis97

I'm afraid to start the Combat Challenges. I've beaten the campaign and really only need to get 3 medals for all of the challenges before I unlock every achievement. The stealth challenges seem fairly easy but the combat ones looks so difficult. Is there any tips or tricks I should know about them before I attempt them? I can only seem to get 1-2 stars and never that third one.

Dive around a lot and keep that multiplier going. The flashy moves aren't so important if you aren't comfortable using them.

The combat challenges are a breeze compared to the predator challenges once you get the hang of things.

Yeah, I was surprised that AC challenges were almost the exact opposite of Asylum's. In AA, the combat challenges (on extreme) were SO much harder than the stealth ones and in AC, the combat challenges are easier than the stealth ones (damn you, "On Top of the World" map!).

Anyway, the combat ones are relatively easy, especially if you did well on them in AA. If not, then the key to getting three stars (question marks) on the combat challenges is:

Hit a guy pressing "X" ONLY ONCE, then jump over a guy (any guy) by pressing "A" (or is it double tap "A"? I'm not sure now) and hit "X" once again and then hit "A" to jump over him and repeat the cycle until you get a combo going. When you get to "x5" combo (or whenever the number turns yellow in the upper, left-hand side of the screen) do a bat swarm (X+A, I think) and then repeat.

It sounds kind of complicated when I type it out, but it's really not. Once you get into a rhythm, you will be a beast! The thing you have to remember is that you can only hit "X" (strike) only once per thug, then you have to jump over him and strike someone else only once, then jump over them and hit another guy only once, until you get a x5 combo. Spamming bat swarm stuns everybody and lets you repeat the cycle all over again allowing you to chain very high combos together which is the ONLY way you will get three stars (question marks) on the combat challenges.

That's the basic fighting. When you get a variety of harder thugs, you're obviously not going to be able to depend on just hitting them with "X". For the armored thugs, always use the instant takedown (Y+B) when you hit your x5 combo. Take those guys out first because if you accidentally punch them, you will lose your combo. Next on your priority list should be anyone with a weapon. In that case, you should use the disarm combo (Y+X, I think) to permanently disable any weapon such as car door shields, guns, and stun batons. Keep using that combo until all weapons on the field are destroyed. Do not use the disarm combo if there are no weapons in the hands of thugs. You will lose your combo if you do.

Those tips should allow you to ace most of the combat challenges. As for the predator challenges, do what I did and go to YouTube and search for the exact stealth challenge you are doing. The early levels are not too bad, but the extreme ones (especially in the campaign) will be a bitch if you don't do it (almost) perfectly. The trial and error of trying to figure some of them out yourself will be maddening. Just look at what the awesome people online did and try to copy what they do in their video. It may seem cheap, but it's better than the alternative... especially if you really want to complete all the challenges.

Hope this helps.

-M

Edit* - I forgot to add: Do not do a bat swarm if there are not a lot of people around you. If your bat swarm fails to hit anybody (because nobody is close to you) you will lose your combo.

Edited by Silicon Iceman

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, I was surprised that AC challenges were almost the exact opposite of Asylum's. In AA, the combat challenges (on extreme) were SO much harder than the stealth ones and in AC, the combat challenges are easier than the stealth ones (damn you, "On Top of the World" map!).

Anyway, the combat ones are relatively easy, especially if you did well on them in AA. If not, then the key to getting three stars (question marks) on the combat challenges is:

Hit a guy pressing "X" ONLY ONCE, then jump over a guy (any guy) by pressing "A" (or is it double tap "A"? I'm not sure now) and hit "X" once again and then hit "A" to jump over him and repeat the cycle until you get a combo going. When you get to "x5" combo (or whenever the number turns yellow in the upper, left-hand side of the screen) do a bat swarm (X+A, I think) and then repeat.

It sounds kind of complicated when I type it out, but it's really not. Once you get into a rhythm, you will be a beast! The thing you have to remember is that you can only hit "X" (strike) only once per thug, then you have to jump over him and strike someone else only once, then jump over them and hit another guy only once, until you get a x5 combo. Spamming bat swarm stuns everybody and lets you repeat the cycle all over again allowing you to chain very high combos together which is the ONLY way you will get three stars (question marks) on the combat challenges.

That's the basic fighting. When you get a variety of harder thugs, you're obviously not going to be able to depend on just hitting them with "X". For the armored thugs, always use the instant takedown (Y+B) when you hit your x5 combo. Take those guys out first because if you accidentally punch them, you will lose your combo. Next on your priority list should be anyone with a weapon. In that case, you should use the disarm combo (Y+X, I think) to permanently disable any weapon such as car door shields, guns, and stun batons. Keep using that combo until all weapons on the field are destroyed. Do not use the disarm combo if there are no weapons in the hands of thugs. You will lose your combo if you do.

Those tips should allow you to ace most of the combat challenges. As for the predator challenges, do what I did and go to YouTube and search for the exact stealth challenge you are doing. The early levels are not too bad, but the extreme ones (especially in the campaign) will be a bitch if you don't do it (almost) perfectly. The trial and error of trying to figure some of them out yourself will be maddening. Just look at what the awesome people online did and try to copy what they do in their video. It may seem cheap, but it's better than the alternative... especially if you really want to complete all the challenges.

Hope this helps.

-M

Edit* - I forgot to add: Do not do a bat swarm if there are not a lot of people around you. If your bat swarm fails to hit anybody (because nobody is close to you) you will lose your combo.

So much this. The combat challenges on this game are a fucking joke for this very reason. Where I needed to practice and practice Arkham Asylum I've got gold on these challenges on my first try. Where getting a Freeflow Perfection (or close to) was essential for gold in Arkham Asylum, you can get away with just using strike (:xbut:), evade (:abut:), and bat swarm (:abut:+:xbut:).

• 4 weeks later...

You can use the tips above about the Bat Swarm or you can use a takedown. It does one at a time, which is a short term disadvantage, but in the 3rd and 4th rounds you can score almost the entier requirement in one round by using normal takedowns. Using a normal takedown slows the speed at which you eliminate goons down, allowing a greater combo to build, also try hard to keep an eye out for the last guy and super stun him and do a ground takedown, if you have a high combo you'll cash in massively on points.

A great way to build a combo fast is to use the leiutenants and guys in pads. Stun a goon in pads and begin pounding on him, whenever another goon goes to attack press Y, then resume pounding on the armoured guy who will still be stunned. You can build up a 15x combo almost instantly this way. As for the Leiutenant's just pound on them and whenever they show any movement at all, double tap A to jump over them and begin pounding again. Once the combo is at about 20 (assuming you started from scratch) move off him before finishing him and continue on normal goons with takedowns evades. The initial combo build on the leuitenant will give you much higher score from those takedowns.

Personally I use the standard takedown, the disarm takedown (vital to remove sheild and guns from the areana for good) and the bat swarm during a combo, as well as beatdown finishers and aerial attacks/ground takedowns when it's safe. I find I can often beat a level first go now. I just did the Extreme Combat Master campaign (Batman) first go using my techniques above.

I dont mind that they had predator and combat challenges in this game, but whyyyyyy put them together as "campaign" challenges!!!! Its so tedious having to do them all over again!

Exactly this, I'm fine with them having more of the challenges but the campaigns ruin it for me. The fact that for most of them I can do 2 out of the 3 maps fine and then the third destroys me using up all my restarts, then I have to play through the 2 maps again to get to the third making my time to completion way longer. Also the Stealth challenges are way tougher than the ones on AA. Overall I think the Riddler's campaigns were a way to make the game a lot longer than it should be. Don't even get me started on the Robin and Nightwing DLC, such a cheap and boring DLC give us an actual campaign like Harley Quinn's revenge for them :(

Exactly this, I'm fine with them having more of the challenges but the campaigns ruin it for me. The fact that for most of them I can do 2 out of the 3 maps fine and then the third destroys me using up all my restarts, then I have to play through the 2 maps again to get to the third making my time to completion way longer. Also the Stealth challenges are way tougher than the ones on AA. Overall I think the Riddler's campaigns were a way to make the game a lot longer than it should be. Don't even get me started on the Robin and Nightwing DLC, such a cheap and boring DLC give us an actual campaign like Harley Quinn's revenge for them :(

I actually really like the campaigns. They were quite daunting at first, but I've managed to do 8/12 so far. I think they are quite fairly set up. For example Top of the World Extreme isn't the last map in its series. At least you can try that one first. I also quite enjoy the modifiers. I tend you use them on the combat maps as I am better at those. The Predator ones can end up going very wrong very quickly though sometimes... :S

Hope this helps.

-M

I'm struggling on Hard in the main game, and didn't even get a bronze in the combat challenge I tried with Nightwing. I'll give your system a go though. I couldn't do Arkham Asylum on Hard so at least I am getting better.

Hope this helps.

-M

The disarm combo doesn't ruin your combo if there are no weapons around. It simply turns into an instant take down. I've done this numerous times. Also, if you do a bat swarm with no one around, it doesn't lose the combo either

• 4 weeks later...
So much this. The combat challenges on this game are a fucking joke for this very reason. Where I needed to practice and practice Arkham Asylum I've got gold on these challenges on my first try. Where getting a Freeflow Perfection (or close to) was essential for gold in Arkham Asylum, you can get away with just using strike (:xbut:), evade (:abut:), and bat swarm (:abut:+:xbut:).

Best news I've heard yet regarding this game! I spent so long trying to get just the last 2 gold medals on B:AA for those combat challenges. I felt like such a boss once I got it down, but I was REALLY not looking forward to revisiting that in this game - glad to hear they made them a bit easier!

(Though I gotta say, that one level in AA where the floor gets electrified was SO much easier once I did the explosive over the railing trick!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...