Freezing after intro POSSIBLE FIX

Nevander

After hours of trying to get my game to start and begin enjoying RAGE again because of the game freezing after starting a new game at the end of the intro sequence, I believe I may have found a possible fix.

What I believe is happening is the game fails to 'initialize' the DLC somehow. Reason being is what I just tried and what just worked, and what finally allowed me to begin a new game on ultra nightmare.

Once again, just a POSSIBLE fix, it just so happened that this worked for me and it may actually be completely unrelated but felt I should post anyway.

Basically, what I did was restart my Xbox. Once I was restarted, I DID NOT sign in to Xbox Live. I already had the 18 MB update from before. Then after restarting, I launched the game from disc one (both disc one and two installed to HDD).

I pressed start and at that point had to sign in. I did, then when loading into the main menu, the game gave me a pop-up screen which said that the DLC would now be initialized. This had not shown up before. Once it was done, I was thrilled.

Began a new game on ultra nightmare, allowed the beginning intro to play, then voila! Enter first area inside the Ark chamber! PLAYABLE!

Do note if you quit the game for the night or whatever, you will have to repeat the above procedure again for you to load your last save, otherwise you will get another black screen wingstick loading screen freeze.

Hopefully this works and I didn't just happen to get lucky. To those affected, let me ask, did it ever show you that the DLC would be initialized? It never did for me until I launched the game without being signed in to XBL.

Edited by Nevander

After hours of trying to get my game to start and begin enjoying RAGE again because of the game freezing after starting a new game at the end of the intro sequence, I believe I may have found a possible fix.

What I believe is happening is the game fails to 'initialize' the DLC somehow. Reason being is what I just tried and what just worked, and what finally allowed me to begin a new game on ultra nightmare.

Once again, just a POSSIBLE fix, it just so happened that this worked for me and it may actually be completely unrelated but felt I should post anyway.

Basically, what I did was restart my Xbox. Once I was restarted, I DID NOT sign in to Xbox Live. I already had the 18 MB update from before. Then after restarting, I launched the game from disc one (both disc one and two installed to HDD).

I pressed start and at that point had to sign in. I did, then when loading into the main menu, the game gave me a pop-up screen which said that the DLC would now be initialized. This had not shown up before. Once it was done, I was thrilled.

Began a new game on ultra nightmare, allowed the beginning intro to play, then voila! Enter first area inside the Ark chamber! PLAYABLE!

Do note if you quit the game for the night or whatever, you will have to repeat the above procedure again for you to load your last save, otherwise you will get another black screen wingstick loading screen freeze.

Hopefully this works and I didn't just happen to get lucky. To those affected, let me ask, did it ever show you that the DLC would be initialized? It never did for me until I launched the game without being signed in to XBL.

I followed your trick, but it just worked once for me.

Unfortunately I can't load any manual save and my game ALWAYS freezes whenever my profile is connected to LIVE. I only can play offline, but I think that I won't get DLC achievements because DLC isn't correctly initialized if I play offline.

I tried everything... no hope :(

UPDATE: I'm playing DLC now and I can do it connected to LIVE :)

Yesterday I deleted the Sewers DLC (The Wasteland Sewer Missions) that was included with ANARCHY Edition and now I can safely play DLC and vanilla version!

I'm sorry for grammar mistakes... English isn't my first language ;)

Edited by alexZ IT

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue, wouldn't load past the intro, tried a couple of times, even deleted saved games to clear up room. In the end DELETE sewer missions, worked a treat after that... Here I go again for the third time.

Its been a while so I hope its not too dull......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've found that if I start the game, let it freeze, cycle power, then clear the X360 content cache before starting the game again it fixes the lockup problem for me. But I may go ahead and delete wasteland sewers DLC since I think I've done them all.

Edited by arphaxad

• 1 month later...

I can't believe this. I can't access my save file at all now and nothing works. I really wasn't in the mood to redo the entire set of collectables either. seriously what the fuck. nothing works. and if I delete the scorchers dlc it won't load the game but if I have it downloaded it freezes up...