Little Rocket Man Guide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but if you make the mistake of leaving "Bob" with Alyx and the Vort at the top of the wasteyard during Freeman Pontifex, all is not lost!

I left him clear in the center of the area between the door you open for them, and the door you originally left the area in, and when I found that after opening the door, it would shut before you could grab the gnome (I'm pretty sure there's an invisible wall preventing you from re-entering the area in order to prevent you from getting stuck). So I decided to use the game's physics engine against it.

What you need to do is grab a solid object, preferably the chair in the operator's box that houses the switch you need to pull to open the door, and bring the chair down the ladder and up the steps to the door. Keep it off to the side so that Alyx and the Vort aren't in your way. Save before you try this, as the timing is fairly strict on this:

Flip the switch and quickly RUN to the ladder, hop down (try not to get stuck on the ladder), and run up the steps to the door before either of them can block your path up the steps. You can then grab the chair and place it in the doorframe to keep it the door from closing completely (quickly, though!). Now you are free to pull the gnome in with the Gravity Gun! It might take a few tries, but that's how I pulled it off.

Edited by mintycrys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I didn't read the description of this achievement, I just played through knowing that he was in a building. When I started I assumed there's no logical place for him to be in the caves so I assumed he'd be after them. Got to right before the car and thought he'd probably be there so I read. I restarted and have him at the elevator shaft towards towards the end of the caves.

I am playing on invincibility and figured i'd just jump down the shaft, fix it and get going with the vort. Got down and about 5 seconds later chompski disappeared. Didn't really want to take him to the running away from the guardian parts.

Cheers for the help. Tricky little adventure this one, but rewarding. Probably ranks 3rd in my proudest achievements to date (after the bad company one involving the laser designator and the helicopter, and the one in death smiles for defeating tyrannosatan (best boss name ever!!)).

• 4 weeks later...
This is the "Gardin Gnome" achievement on Left 4 Dead 2 all over again, but twice as long and hard.

Funny how so many people quote L4D2 when Half Life was the reason it was in a level in L4D2 lol

Anyway im having trouble finding this again but i swear i saw a post/comment somewhere that stated you could leave the gnome behind, do all the car stuff, then come bk and pick him up and drive through safely, im about to do this but wanting to confirm, or maybe ill leave him and end up doing it twice iono.

Edit: and to those forgetting to close the rocket door, boot a frigging save up, if you're relying purely on autosave then thats your own fault, NEVER rely purely on autosave in any game if they have the option to save yourself...... something most people learn the hard way, congratz you just did :p lol

Edit2: Here it is, not quite what i remembered but all the same it could help people, im going to try it.

Here's a tip. When in the train-yard with the helicopter overhead, whenever the helicopter flies over you, the wind sucks the gnome out. Try this: set the gnome out of the car before attempting to cross the yard. Take Alyx and the car to the end where the tunnels are. Get out of the car and Sprint under the nearest train car. keep popping out and hiding under cars (you can't get shot while under a train car). It's a bit time consuming, but it eliminates some frustration. Grab the gnome and come back the same way.

Was in the comments for the acvhievement itself, thought i checked that but i guess i missed it somehow.

Also thank you for the guide, i've been following it somewhat and keep checking to see if anything ahead is going to cause me huge probs, its been a great help, esp knowing i could leave him by the elevator with alyx, invaluable :D will post back in a few hours with progress ^^

Edited by Killerchronic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The first time I played through Episode 2 I didn't look up any guide for this achievement so I thought you would go to the rocket again and I didn't put him in. So I had to replay through to get the achievement, but I learned cheats don't disable achievements so I was able to run through it in 3 hours while getting the achievement for killing all the grubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody may have already posted something like this but I'm not actually going to read all the posts to find out. If you carry the gnome with the grav gun, you can jump on top of the trunk and cram him in the back windshield. It's the best way I know of to hold him in the car, he stays put there pretty well. I was actually able to earn the achievement for winning the race against DOG with the gnome staying in the car. I wish I had known this earlier because for a long time I struggled with other methods that didn't work as well. I named my gnome Stupid Piece of Crap Bastard, because that's exactly how I felt about him most of the time. I was so glad to finally send Stupid Piece of Crap Bastard into space.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh my fucking god. I thought he was safe and overwrote all four of my saves in the cycle I was doing. Come to find out that I had placed him not quite far enough when facing the helicopter. Back to the middle of the fucking bug tunnels.

This gnome can go fuck himself. I hate this achievement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally finished. Took approximately 6-7 hours to beat this, had to reload a few times for a few other achievements, but it's finished. Shooting him with the gravity gun method worked well, unless the chopper shoots him while you're throwing him or you accidentally hit the chopper, then there's no telling where he will go.

The few places where you could leave him was ridiculously helpful, such as when you can leave him next to the elevator, throw him onto the bridge, and leave him in the shop room(In the corner, of course).

• 1 month later...