Forward Unto Dawn Discussion.

xTGMx INF3RNO

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it had great production values for a promotional video, loved seeing the warthog and marines tattoo rocked. The extended edition will be a treat to own.

Was that a banshee flying towards the training base towards the end, seemed far too quick to move left and right to be anything huge ?

So Lasky picked up the beacon or whatever it was that Cortana said she'd drop at the end of Halo 3, and then has a flashback when he goes through the transmission. Hmm.

From a critical standpoint, the first episode seems like a cheesy, average, coming of age story with a new skin on it.

But as a Halo fan, this is great to watch. Personally, I'd take this over a feature-length movie tie in. Forward unto Dawn (as well as The Thursday War) is PERFECT for staving off my hunger to play Halo 4.

So Lasky picked up the beacon or whatever it was that Cortana said she'd drop at the end of Halo 3, and then has a flashback when he goes through the transmission. Hmm.

From a critical standpoint, the first episode seems like a cheesy, average, coming of age story with a new skin on it.

But as a Halo fan, this is great to watch. Personally, I'd take this over a feature-length movie tie in. Forward unto Dawn (as well as The Thursday War) is PERFECT for staving off my hunger to play Halo 4.

From a blurb about Forward Unto Dawn from the Limited Edition contents...

when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC's greatest vessel ever: the UNSC Infinity.
Which is why I assume that Lasky's on the Infinity when he's listening to the distress beacon at the beginning.

You're right, it does basically seem like just a coming of age story with a new skin. But when that new skin involves a 7-foot tall super soldier in half a ton of power armor... I'm there! :p

I'm normally really cynical (as anyone who reads any of my posts would know) but I thought it was really good.

I even showed it to my dad and girlfriend, and they were impressed (even though neither of them had a halo background).

The one thing I noticed was while it's telling the human-side, I had to explain that it was set in the future. Apparently that's not readily evident from the cryo-training portion. Also a blurb about what the cortana-transmission was all about in the beginning was necessary for the girlfriend/fathers understanding.

But yea; I found it to be really, really good. Eagerly awaiting the next episode, and I'm starting to feel quite good about ordering the LE edition.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch it last night. I can't help but wonder why the hell nobody is willing to take the plunge and produce a Halo movie. Between Landfall, Forward Unto Dawn, and all of the other live-action shorts, it's all too apparent that the production value and focus on quality is through the roof. I don't think they would let a Halo movie hit theatres that was anything short of perfection.

A little bit of background about Lansky in post-Halo 3 events. Minor Thursday War spoilers, but nothing major.

I'm not finished with the book yet and he hasn't played any sort of major role in the novel so far, but Lansky has been present within the events of the story. I will say that Lasky isn't currently in charge of Infinity as of the Novel's time-circle (Time does not go in a line. It goes in a circle. That's why clocks are round.) The ship, still being upgraded with Forerunner tech like Slipspace Communication and pinpoint slipspace navigation, is under the command of Andrew Del Rio with Lasky serving as First Mate. Parangosky, head of CINCONI, however, has expressed her desire to have Lansky ultimately in command of the ship. Lord Hood, the co-funder and co-owner of Infinity, ultimately seems to prefer Del Rio in command due to his willingness to comply with orders. (Sounds like Lasky's disobedient persona in FUD might still persist somewhat to modern day.)

I can't help but wonder why the hell nobody is willing to take the plunge and produce a Halo movie. Between Landfall, Forward Unto Dawn, and all of the other live-action shorts, it's all too apparent that the production value and focus on quality is through the roof. I don't think they would let a Halo movie hit theatres that was anything short of perfection.

I think part of it has to do with story, and part of it has to do with Hollywood history. The VAST majority of video game based movies have sucked, and been critically slammed. So right off the bat that would probably make any number of studios leery of making another one. Now, Halo's a big enough name that it would probably draw good numbers no matter what, but then they start thinking franchise which is where story comes in. They would have to nail it for a first movie. If the story is crap they don't do as good repeat business. And I don't think perfectly recreating one of the games would be a good idea for a movie, cause we've seen it, done it, and read it already. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, especially if FUD is received well and does decent sales when it's released to home video. They'll just have to find the right script, which sometimes takes awhile.

I can't help but wonder why the hell nobody is willing to take the plunge and produce a Halo movie. Between Landfall, Forward Unto Dawn, and all of the other live-action shorts, it's all too apparent that the production value and focus on quality is through the roof. I don't think they would let a Halo movie hit theatres that was anything short of perfection.

There actually has been a halo movie in the works since about 2007/8, and I think that they plan to make it soon, do some trivia on it, maybe you can find something, it was going to be produced by peter jackson (or maybe directed, can't remember now). But I thinks that we should see a halo movie within 4 years hopefully.

Edit* There is also some random halo cartoon movie thing at my local video store... looks bad.

There actually has been a halo movie in the works since about 2007/8, and I think that they plan to make it soon, do some trivia on it, maybe you can find something, it was going to be produced by peter jackson (or maybe directed, can't remember now). But I thinks that we should see a halo movie within 4 years hopefully.

Edit* There is also some random halo cartoon movie thing at my local video store... looks bad.

Things got fucked up with the whole Peter Jackson thing. But we got District 9 out of it, and I was fine with that.

And the "random halo cartoon movie" you mentioned is Halo Legends. It's not a whole movie, there are bits and pieces that offer a different look at different time periods in the Halo universe. Some of the stuff in there is pretty good(like Origins) but some of the other stuff isn't so good. Personal opinion. It's a great watch, as long as you are interested and want to know more about the Halo universe.

thats weird, i thought men were sir and women were ma'am.

Some female officers prefer being called Ma'am, but to the best of my knowledge regulations haven't been re-written from the days when women couldn't serve, and still specify Sir as the proper form of address for superior officers. Of course this being set over 500 years in the future, you might think those rules would change by then. :p

in what branch? I know when I served in the army we called female superior officers ma'am and male officers sir... they prolly are just showing how things have changed in the future, or maybe just showing her masculinity? lol

Overall though I thought it had some really good production features, acting could be a little better but that is whatever, graphics seem legit enough, cant wait to see the next one!!

When does this movie take place in the halo franchise, or is this a stand alone film?

Edited by oozero

in what branch? I know when I served in the army we called female superior officers ma'am and male officers sir... they prolly are just showing how things have changed in the future, or maybe just showing her masculinity? lol

Overall though I thought it had some really good production features, acting could be a little better but that is whatever, graphics seem legit enough, cant wait to see the next one!!

When does this movie take place in the halo franchise, or is this a stand alone film?

The series takes place in April 2526, roughly 6 months after the Covenant fleet has made first contact with Humanity and decimated the Harvest Population. Most of the Human race still isn't aware of the events that transpired on Harvest, hence why the cadets still think they're being trained to engage the Insurrectionists in Part I.

The series takes place in April 2526, roughly 6 months after the Covenant fleet has made first contact with Humanity and decimated the Harvest Population. Most of the Human race still isn't aware of the events that transpired on Harvest, hence why the cadets still think they're being trained to engage the Insurrectionists in Part I.

Yes. 26 years Before Halo Combat Evolved.

When John-117 shows up, which I believe(hope) will be this Fridays Episode. Keep in mind that he was born in 2511. Meaning Master Chief is Only 15 years old During the events of Forward Unto Dawn.

Of course, Lasky and the other Cadets(Or anyone else at the Academy) won't know this. Nobody besides Halsey and a few others know this.