180 members have voted

1. 1. Banjo Tooie or Kazooie

• Kazooie
    • Tooie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first is an amazing game. It ranks among the best ever according to me.

Tooie... Not so good. Ofcourse, it's a good and enjoyable game. But it's unnecceserly complex, which, to me, ruins it.

But you should get both and play them in order.

I believe Kazooie is the better game. They are both excellent games and I don't mind the challenge of Tooie, I just hate how much backtracking there is. An example being you have to push an ice cube off a ledge in Cloud Cuckooland (Level 8), which then falls and cools the water in Hailfire Peaks (Level 7), then you have to go under that water and hit the switch at the bottom of it for it to dump out into Jolly Rodgers Lagoon (Level 4). Where as in Kazooie, you beat the level and thats that. But as everyone else has stated above, I'd play Kazooie first and then I'd recommend demoing Tooie and see if you like the changes.

I believe Kazooie is the better game. They are both excellent games and I don't mind the challenge of Tooie, I just hate how much backtracking there is.

Very true. I forgot about that point actually. I have been playing through Banjo-Tooie over the last few days and I honestly didn't remember how much backtracking there was to do. Although it is good in a way, for example, providing a sense of connectedness between worlds...it is annoying.

Every time I learn a new move, I find myself going back through worlds trying to remember where I needed that ability. So, it is a bit different from Banjo-Kazooie in that sense.

I 'spose it just depends on your own personal preferences I guess. Personally, for me the games are inseparable to choose from which is very rare for a sequel

Edited by jacklanky
Quote did not work properly

I prefer Tooie cos its bigger and just better really, yeah the backtracking is annoying. But anyway its obvious you want to get kazooie first as its the first game. I mean come on dont be stupid. You wont understand who the characters are or what they do. So get kazooie then Tooie afterwards. Nuts and Bolts is different but still a fun game and should get that aswell

Nah, Kazooie felt like more bland and it was just like short and small levels and in Tooie there is more to it. But hey these are all our opinions. The best thing to do is simply buy them both but play Kazooie and complete it first cos otherwise playing just the begining of Tooie kinda ruins what happens at the end of Kazooie

Nah, Kazooie felt like more bland and it was just like short and small levels and in Tooie there is more to it.

I thought the length of Kazooie was perfect. It's interesting all the way through. While playing Tooie, I just wanted it to end towards the later levels.

Also, I wouldn't say more is always better. I think Tooie was ruined by all the additions.

Another thing I don't like about Tooie is the plot, mood and settings. Banjo-Kazooie always felt like a fairy tale story, kinda dreamlike. Tooie on the other hand was more dark and dull, which atleast I didn't like.

Wow, all this complaining on a good game. Makes it seem like I hate Tooie. I don't, it's an enjoyable game.

I thought the length of Kazooie was perfect. It's interesting all the way through. While playing Tooie, I just wanted it to end towards the later levels.

Also, I wouldn't say more is always better. I think Tooie was ruined by all the additions.

Another thing I don't like about Tooie is the plot, mood and settings. Banjo-Kazooie always felt like a fairy tale story, kinda dreamlike. Tooie on the other hand was more dark and dull, which at least I didn't like.

Wow, all this complaining on a good game. Makes it seem like I hate Tooie. I don't, it's an enjoyable game.

I couldn't agree with this post more. Tooie had such a dark, and duller story. Hell, in the first 10 minutes they kill a "main" character off, which is the only thing that fuels our heroes to even go on this quest. Then when the you start Spiral Mountain, which used to have such upbeat music, they made it all downtrodden and depressing.

Every level, with a few exceptions, were bleak. Each level either had a lot of gray, or warm colors used to make things look rotten. Level music wasn't as upbeat as it was in Kazooie. Also the levels were at times way too big for a platforming game.

The characters introduced in the game were for the most part not interesting. Also, they took out one thing that I thought was the most endearing quality of the main antagonist; her rhyming.

Oh, and like people have said before...backtracking...oh god the backtracking...

However, I do like Tooie and it is a good game. I just prefer the original overall.

I'm playing through Tooie right now and am finding myself completely irritated and just wanting to get my 200/200 and have it over with. I had forgotten not only the backtracking, but about what an awful job was done in laying out the levels. I remember nothing about this game from back in the day since I had only beaten it once, but I'm finding myself wandering for stretches of time until I find a little nook or cranny that holds the hidden ladder or cave that I need to advance.

Having a level map, even a crude one, would have been a great help in this game. A list of jiggies collected/not collected with a description for each a la Mario 64 would have been nice too.

I had a lot of fun with Kazooie, but I'm finding myself cursing Tooie and counting the achievements until the end.

Start with Kazooie. It's a better game IMO, and Tooie isn't as good if you don't play it first. Without playing Kazooie first you'll have all the moves learned in Kazooie but not know how to use them, you won't know the characters and story, and you won't get funny references to the first game

I prefer Banjo-Kazooie too.

It's much simpler, but in my opinion is perfect that way. I also liked more the atmosphere of the first game. In Banjo-Tooie the levels are far too big and you need to pick up too much things. You also have too much movements. And backtracking is ok, makes it harder, but I don't like it.

With all this I don't mean that Tooie is a bad game, I love it. It's just that I like Kazooie more.

Playing Tooie having played the first part makes the game more enjoyable. And I think that if you play Tooie first, you like it, and you decide to play the first part... you won't appreciate Kazooie so much. Because Tooie is Kazooie with bigger worlds, with more thing to collect and with a lot of less movements. So maybe playing Kazooie after Tooie makes you don't appreciate the first part like you should.

I'm playing through Tooie right now and am finding myself completely irritated and just wanting to get my 200/200 and have it over with.

That's exactly how I feel. I keep pushing myself on by telling myself "There are no 'Collect Every _____' achievements, so just get the 200/200 so you at least get that for the $15 you blew on this."