Ending/Future Wake (Spoilers)

Alright so at the end of the story Alan basically defeats Mr. Scratch, and then is reunited with his long lost love Alice. What I'm wondering is whats next! Was it all a dream, hence American NIGHTMARE? Is Mr. Scratch somehow going to come back? Is there going to be another evil antagonist?

I know we are most likely some time away from an Alan Wake 2 but I was wondering what everyone else thinks! I have very high hopes for this series and I'm interested to see where the story takes us.

This game isn't related to the main story of Alan Wake.

This is something Alan Wake wrote for the fictional TV show, Night Springs.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. This is related to the main story. I don't know if you played already but if you did you should know that. Alan wrote this story for Night Springs a long time ago but now he used it and changed it up a bit to help him escape the cabin. In which it did successfully so. He is still trapped in a non existent reality but he is getting closer by being able to rewrite reality. If it wasn't related i'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any info on any of the gang back at Bright Falls. It gives a lot of background.

For example

- It has been two years since events of the first Alan Wake

- Barry still retains a strong relationship with he sheriff and keeps looking for Alan

- Alice and Barry keep a business relationship

Those are just off the top of my head.

This absolutely is after Alan Wake 1. I dunno how anyone could come to the conclusion it's not.

Hint: READ THE MANUSCRIPTS - it explains everything, even his tacky clothes.

And unfortunately I don't think he "escaped" in the end, cause he even says he can't escape.

But I think they were implying that Alice could "write him back" due to her power of creation (her video).

So the ending was a bit ambiguous, but nothing was actually confusing thanks to the manuscripts.

This absolutely is after Alan Wake 1. I dunno how anyone could come to the conclusion it's not.

Hint: READ THE MANUSCRIPTS - it explains everything, even his tacky clothes.

And unfortunately I don't think he "escaped" in the end, cause he even says he can't escape.

But I think they were implying that Alice could "write him back" due to her power of creation (her video).

So the ending was a bit ambiguous, but nothing was actually confusing thanks to the manuscripts.

Yeah I havent gotten around to finding all of the manuscripts but I do feel like your right about this being part of the real story. Its just too connected to the first to be a dream or just part of the show.

This is a episode of night springs, but Alan is using it as a way to get back to reality. He knows he can't comeback like Zane. If he does the whole darkness comes with him. He has been scratching and claing his way out through gaps in the darkness via signals, and dreams. Right now Alan even explain how the town he is in became night springs. The town itself is on a temperal(sp?) portal. He used the dream world that connects to the portal to turn the town into night springs for one night only. This is his chance to escape the darkness without making the same mistakes Zane did.

Indeed. After just finishing it, reading all the manuscripts and watching TVs, listening to Radios etc. I'm actually very sure that this does indeed continue the story from the first game. The reviewers saying it doesn't should have payed more attention. Also, I don't think that Remedy ever stated that it wouldn't continue the story (I could be wrong), only that it wouldn't be Alan Wake 2. It is not a true sequel, that much is sure, but it can't quite be called a spin-off either.

Anyway, great game :) Hoping that Alan Wake 2 will be made one day.

Edited by SebbeG

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone thinking it's not a continuation is kidding themselves. Remedy words it terribly, probably in an attempt to get people who didn't buy the original to just buy this without going "I CAN'T BUY THIS WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL, IT WILL HAVE TO WAIT".

The game's story does everything in its power to make it painfully obvious that it is a direct sequel to Alan Wake and that for all intents and purposes, it may be the definite end to the first "season" arc.

The idea is that Alan did what happened in the first game, wrote Alice back to the real world and himself into the Darkness as a sort of trade, saving her, but now he has to get himself out in the process. The DLC shows Alan trying to first and foremost get himself out of the Darkness and back to the house under Cauldron Lake, as he has gone insane and is split into a version writing crazy stuff controlled by darkness and a version in his imagination or whatever trying to "wake up".

2 years go by after Alan "wakes up" (or maybe he woke up 2 years later; We don't actually know what how long he was out/in the DLC as far as I remember) and he is trying to get himself out of the darkness and back into the real world without using the powers of the darkness itself. Instead, he is using signals (TV, radio, etc) to warp around.

Eventually, he decides on using an old script for an episode of Night Springs he wrote, altering the text to suit his attempt at beating Mr. Scratch (who was clearly established in Alan Wake/DLC by name) and escaping.

As for the ending, I am unsure whether Alan actually got out or not, and we have no way of knowing until the next game. You'd like to think he did, but he's interacting with an Alice in the movie, who apparently is surprised to see him...? So I'm not even sure what's happening.

It's possible he just wanted to see/be with her again and a variation of her real self was fine enough... and if nothing else, just got a hell of a lot closer to escaping than before. It's tough to figure out, since the end implies it was still the episode of Night Springs and that maybe he didn't get out in some kind of Inception thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone thinking it's not a continuation is kidding themselves. Remedy words it terribly, probably in an attempt to get people who didn't buy the original to just buy this without going "I CAN'T BUY THIS WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL, IT WILL HAVE TO WAIT".

The game's story does everything in its power to make it painfully obvious that it is a direct sequel to Alan Wake and that for all intents and purposes, it may be the definite end to the first "season" arc.

The idea is that Alan did what happened in the first game, wrote Alice back to the real world and himself into the Darkness as a sort of trade, saving her, but now he has to get himself out in the process. The DLC shows Alan trying to first and foremost get himself out of the Darkness and back to the house under Cauldron Lake, as he has gone insane and is split into a version writing crazy stuff controlled by darkness and a version in his imagination or whatever trying to "wake up".

2 years go by after Alan "wakes up" (or maybe he woke up 2 years later; We don't actually know what how long he was out/in the DLC as far as I remember) and he is trying to get himself out of the darkness and back into the real world without using the powers of the darkness itself. Instead, he is using signals (TV, radio, etc) to warp around.

Eventually, he decides on using an old script for an episode of Night Springs he wrote, altering the text to suit his attempt at beating Mr. Scratch (who was clearly established in Alan Wake/DLC by name) and escaping.

As for the ending, I am unsure whether Alan actually got out or not, and we have no way of knowing until the next game. You'd like to think he did, but he's interacting with an Alice in the movie, who apparently is surprised to see him...? So I'm not even sure what's happening.

It's possible he just wanted to see/be with her again and a variation of her real self was fine enough... and if nothing else, just got a hell of a lot closer to escaping than before. It's tough to figure out, since the end implies it was still the episode of Night Springs and that maybe he didn't get out in some kind of Inception thing.

I guess everyone has their own opinion. Very well put, id like to think you're right. That everything in American Nightmare did indeed happen. But who really knows. Either way Im excited for a sequel.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't of said any better but at the end where it shows Alan in the movie clip waiting by the cliff, you see Alice come in but if you notice on Alice's side, the sun is rising and on Alan's, he's still in the darkness. I think it's trying to show that he's still trapped in the darkness but closer to returning to reality and if you know the first games story, you find out that you're just a story within a story in a sense and American Nightmare could be the same thing but by Alan's own doing to try get back to reality. How I see it but it is a psychological thriller, so anything is possible and some things won't be fully explained.