Why I think Fable: The Journey will fail

FlevoHD

(Please read post first) Do you agree with me?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. (Please read post first) Do you agree with me?

• Yeah. Fable is dead.
    • I don't know. I'll see.
    • You're talking bullshit!

As most of us know Lionhead recently announced their new Fable game; Fable: The Journey, for Kinect.

I think this new Fable will completely fail, and I think (and hope) most of you people will agree with me.

First of all; the bad performances. Fable 1 was a fantastic game which could hold you down for hours and hours. The first Fable made the franchise famous.

Fable 2 was also a good game in my eyes, but I found Fable better and as some say, ''Fable 2 gave the serie a disease''. Then Lionhead made Fable 3. Which killed the serie. Completely.

Second, the last (and extremely bad) performance; Fable 3 contains far, far, very far too much glitches. I mean, one or two is understandable, but you'd almost think they just made something and threw in onto the market. I'm pretty sure at least half the people who have Fable 3 have encountered at least one glitch (which most likely forced them to start all over)

Third; Lionhead NOT making any patches. I mean, WTF! You give us a product that is broken almost everywhere and you don't even try to fix the countless failures you put us up with? Lionhead sure knows how to piss people off!

Fourth; Peter Molyneux. I think after the fake promises he made on Fable 2 and 3 there's few people left who actually believe what he's telling. Seriously Peter, do you really expect people to trust you after all those lies? Sure, he admitted his lies on Fable 3, but still, how many promises will you break?

And fifth and last; the new game. I already mentioned the giant pile of glitches in Fable 3 and the lack of any proper patches (if there ARE patches in the first place). And now they intent to create a new game? Face it Lionhead; you cannot release a completely broken product, enrage thousands of gamers and then simply make a new one with Kinect and think ''hey, we made a new game with Kinect. perhaps now all those pissed off fans will be happy again''. Because we won't. And definitely not when this new game is on rails and the story is pretty much poor (like Fable 2's ending and Fable 3)

So, my conclusion:

Can Fable 4 redeem the fallen franchise?

No it can't

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Fable brand itself will give it enough sales to not be a complete failure, regardless of whether the game actually turns out to be good or not.

I also think Kinect is really hurting for a 'deeper' game at the moment, so if this ends up checking that box I can see it still selling very well.

This really isn't a Fable 4 game.

It's based in the Fable universe, but I wouldn't class it as a continuation.

And while I agree with Molyneux being a part of whether this sinks or swims, the biggest thing is going to be whether its on or off rails. If it on rails like it looked at E3, this game will fail. If its not, it has a chance with it being one of the first 'major hardcore' Kinect titles.

A 300-mile odyssey of looking at a horse's butt. Fun.

If he was riding the horse (with no cart) it would seem more engaging. Maybe they're trying to link this guy with the gypsy caravans but seriously who cares.

I think Fable could work on Kinect but they need to approach it from a different angle than just a cinematic action-RPG plus arm-waving. They could make a kinect-Fable with a more ponderous, puzzle-oriented pace or with a much more mallable, hands-on world.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know that it will fail in terms of a train wreck, but i don't think the reputation of molyneux will help it. I never played the first fable but started on fable 2 and enjoyed it. After i heard the features and changes of Fable 3 i went out and bought it and have to say that i was disappointed, i still haven't finished it.

After i heard that Molyneux straight out lied a number of times it turned me off any further game of his or his company. Even if Fable 4 is being released in the future, i have no intention of buying it. At least until friends tell me what they thought. I'm guessing that many people will do the same with The Journey. Lionhead really need to rebuild consumer trust.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree to some extent. I don't think the reasons for Fable 1 being the best are the glitches in 2 and 3 though. Fable 1 just had a 'soul' to it. This 'soul' diminished somewhat in Fable 2, and seemed to disappear altogether in Fable 3. Fable: The Journey (from what I've seen at least) remind me more of an arcade game like Time Crisis or Lethal Enforcers than a Fable game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
well, i've never played Fable, but have it on my friends house.. when i saw that there was a game that's going to be for kinect, but then been told that's on rails, i just though: house of dead... this will fail, big time!

Fable: The Journey is NOT going to be on rails, that was a misconception that was created when an assumption was made after the previewing press conference.

The game creator took out the navigation for the press conference because they were still in the developmental phase at that point, (and because they were really showcasing the kinect hand gesture controls, not the movement system) and they didn't want to experience any anomalies.

He made it clear in a later interview with IGN that the game WILL NOT be on rails, it will be a sandbox system.

I agree that their quality has gone down hill since the release of Fable 2. I think the release of the third game was too soon and there wasn't really anything new other than story. I feel like this franchise is starting to look like Assassin's Creed where it's the same mechanics but new story.

I'm no game developer and have no idea the time and hard work that goes into it, but I feel the franchise is lacking. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Fable years ago but only recently played both 2 and 3. The only complaint I had with both of them was that they really didn’t last that long. The game world and quest lines are kind of small in comparison to other RPG games.

I’m kind of curious on what you consider a glitch though. I only experienced a couple minor glitches in Fable 3 and none of them were what I would consider game breaking, I certainly didn’t need to start my game over because of them. The worst of which was the time glitch, where time never changed unless I slept, but that actually came in handy quite a few times. In fact, the Fable Wiki only lists about a dozen bugs for the game and of those, only a couple of them are game breaking, so to say that there were “far, far, very far too much glitches” seems a little exaggerated to me.

As far as this new Fable failing, I think if it’s a Kinect game it will, at least with fans of RPG’s. I have no interest in jumping around in front of my TV and I never will. I play games to relax, if I wanted exercise I’d go to the gym. The problem is, the Fable series belongs to Microsoft so they’re obviously going to shove Kinect down our throats with it. What they need to do is release two versions, one Kinect and one traditional and see what sells more, my money would be on the traditional one. I think Microsoft knows that too seeing as only about 25% of Xbox users own a Kinect, a statistic Microsoft desperately wants to change.

• 5 months later...

It reminds me a little of the old Oddworld games, Strangers Wrath was quite different than Abe and Munch, atleast they made it an awesome game though, this new Fable will be nothing like the others and in my mind not a Fable game at all just like that Tomb Raider GOTL arcade game is not a Tomb Raider game.

• 2 weeks later...

I will put it this way Fable 1 = The Best, Fable 2 = Good, Fable 3 = Sucked!

I got Fable 3 for free from a promotion for renewing my subscription and I still wasn't happy with it. It didn't even feel like Fable and they took so much out and added stuff that wasn't needed. So for me if Fable 3 was that bad I don't see how the Journey will be any better. They need to go back and look at what they did with the first Fable and try again to create another amazing Fable.

• 3 weeks later...

Fable 3 was missing some major elements; however, I enjoyed it. Fable has always come up short due to Molyneux personality and grand statements that leave the gamer they are going to get more "choices" than what is given. Regardless, none of them are horrible.

Fable: The Journey is Fable in name but not a part of the Fable series. My expectations are different especially being a game for kinect. Take it for what it is, a kinect game which can be fun. But to each his own. I look forward to something different and I am always hopeful with EVERY game released it will be a gem. I am of the mindset that it is better to hold reservations until you actually 'play' the game than make up your mind on a screenshot or the fact it is a kinect title or not. I noticed posts are almost 2 years ago, seems like it was pretty early to make up your mind.

The problem with all of these threads I see is they don't mention Fable Heroes.

You can mention 1, 2 and 3 as many times as you want and I'd agree that they are a series which has declined, but the countless arguments of Fable: The Journey won't be a traditional Fable game is just stupid since Fable Heroes is blatantly not a traditional Fable game yet NOBODY seems to have a problem with it.

If you're more than happy with a party-family beat 'em up based on the Fable Universe then you should be ok with a Kinect styled Fable game. I think it's more of a principal of you bashing it because it's a Kinect exclusive, and not just a direct sequel.

I have played every fable and for me the older ones were better. I am annoyed that Fable the journey will just be released on Kinect, I don't think that it is fair for all the other Fable fans, who like me don't have kinect. And for that reason I say good day to the fable platform :(

Really? You'll disregard the entire rest of the Fable series simply because you haven't bothered to get a Kinect?

• 4 weeks later...
The problem with all of these threads I see is they don't mention Fable Heroes.

You can mention 1, 2 and 3 as many times as you want and I'd agree that they are a series which has declined, but the countless arguments of Fable: The Journey won't be a traditional Fable game is just stupid since Fable Heroes is blatantly not a traditional Fable game yet NOBODY seems to have a problem with it.

If you're more than happy with a party-family beat 'em up based on the Fable Universe then you should be ok with a Kinect styled Fable game. I think it's more of a principal of you bashing it because it's a Kinect exclusive, and not just a direct sequel.

Exactly. I find it silly and to whinge about Fable Journey being a kinect title is more about their feelings toward kinect. Branching off from the main Fable universe is not a bad thing and should not be thought of as taking away from Fable the series. Did people think this way with Halo Wars and not being a FPS? Anyway. To choose to hate on any game before it is even released, OR even played with is stubborn and unreasonable.

I have played every fable and for me the older ones were better. I am annoyed that Fable the journey will just be released on Kinect, I don't think that it is fair for all the other Fable fans, who like me don't have kinect. And for that reason I say good day to the fable platform :(

Why be annoyed? Because you choose not to own a kinect to enjoy a game? Again, this is not Fable 4 on kinect. This is a spin-off with kinect. Even if you choose not to try out the title, kinect, allow others to possibly enjoy.

Fable: The Journey is NOT going to be on rails, that was a misconception that was created when an assumption was made after the previewing press conference.

The game creator took out the navigation for the press conference because they were still in the developmental phase at that point, (and because they were really showcasing the kinect hand gesture controls, not the movement system) and they didn't want to experience any anomalies.

He made it clear in a later interview with IGN that the game WILL NOT be on rails, it will be a sandbox system.

You must feel pretty stupid after posting this considering IT IS ON RAILS

• 2 weeks later...