What's the easiest way to get through the game?

I bought the first bike I could like everyone say's, but I'm to a point where all the competing cars have both faster acceleration & top speed than it. I'm also hating the bike with a passion because of how easy it is to :uzi:"accidentally" crash once & lose an entire series!!! :rant:

I want a car to use, but all the ones for sale are so inferior to the bike in stats.

I'm playing the game & newer upgrades or cars are not unlocking at the garage. I'm just randomly doing whatever race marker that blinks on the map & getting my ass kicked since one lousy crash in the 2nd half of a race is an automatic lose!

I have $32k & 3 cars in my garage, what cars are the best to buy & most importantly, how do I unlock them? Do I need to level up my rep or do I need to beat a certain race for them to open up the next tiers?

Just getting a faster car doesn't make the game easier because the game is designed to amp up the opponents to match whatever car or bike you get. Just use the cars you win from other players like Karol or in tournaments.

The tuners are pretty crappy, they handle better but that isn't near good enough to make up for the limp-wristed acceleration. So far I've used the 240SX, the 69 Camaro, and now I'm in the DUB Camaro, they're more than fast enough to win anything thrown your way.

And instead of doing random races press the BACK button to pull up the map and press Y to pull up the mission list. Just do those from top to bottom. And if anything that gives you a new car comes up do that right away.

And instead of doing random races press the BACK button to pull up the map and press Y to pull up the mission list. Just do those from top to bottom. And if anything that gives you a new car comes up do that right away.

How do I find those races, I haven't found a way for the game to set a marker for missions in the mission list?

Like one of the missions just say's "win two races in Ventura". I don't even know where Ventura is, the map doesn't list the streets or districts.

You can move up and down the list with the D-Pad, then just press A to select which of the race missions you want to do. The game will automatically set down a GPS marker and an arrow around the radar at the bottom left of the screen will point you in the right direction.

You'll either be taken to an AI driver or some kind of building like a parking garage or a fast food parking lot. If it's a driver just go near them and press Y to flash your lights, if its a building just drive into the marker floating above it.

You can also select a race right from the map without pulling up the mission list. Use the triggers to zoom in and out, and the thumbsticks to move the cursor and the map when it's zoomed. The map shows all the different racers and garages in the city, if you select one with the cursor and press A it'll set a GPS marker and the radar arrow will point you in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

I gave up trying to beat this game. I’m working on getting as many of the achievements as I can that don’t require actually doing the missions.

Personally I think this game is a joke. It’s not that I suck a racing, I can do the red (hard) side races and win damn near every time, however the mission or career races I always loose.

For one thing the game will always put at least one vehicle in the race that out classes you or tops your vehicle performance wise. As an example, you can take some of the tuners and after maxing out all the performance upgrades they will just squeak into the class A category, however they are in no way capable of actually taking on any of the other class A cars like the S7 or the Ford GT, yet that’s what they will put in the race with you in that situation.

Another problem I had was most races are series, you have to win 3 races overall. Well I kept getting two won but ultimately one of the other racers would get 3 before me. Typically you will win one, then lose one or two then win one more, all in all you may end up racing 5 - 10 times just to have one of the other racers get 3 before you. That’s an awful lot of time invested just to have to start all over again!

Personally I think the game simply cheats. Ive watched the replays of many races where I’ll be right behind another car, going the same speed and as we went through a corner the computer racer rounded it no problem, never skidding, fishtailing or even losing the slightest bit of traction, yet the second I enter the corner, going the exact same speed in the exact same car, I lose all traction and slam sideways into a building. To me it looks as if you drove through the race at about 40 mph and then simply sped up the animation by a factor of five! That’s how precisely the computer drivers will take corners!

I suppose if I took the time to run 10 or so practice races on each course until I learned every turn, shortcut etc. I could probably do better in this game but with close to 200 different race courses that’s a huge investment of time. You have to keep in mind also that if you run the race in arcade mode the actual mission race may or may not be the same. I’ve seen several examples where checkpoints will be added or removed which changes the route you can take making a shortcut you got used to taking unusable, or vice versa, in the actual mission race.

The only way I see to beat this game would be to race in one of the top end exotic cars, this will keep the game from putting anything in the race that out classes you. But this crates its own problems. Those cars are exceedingly fast! You will be flying down city streets in excess of 200 mph! At those speeds your reaction time is next to nothing. If you take your eyes off the road to glance at your mini map for even a second you can easily making a mistake. That’s just a little to seat of the pants for my taste. I realize its just a game, but racing that fast down crowded city streets is about as ridiculous and unrealistic as a racing game can get in my opinion!

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect a game to be easy, I like a challenge and overly easy games don’t offer much enjoyment for me, but on the other hand I do expect that within 3-5 attempts at a mission I should be able to beat it and move on to the next!

Edited by ReaptheChaos

I agree with Reap...the game, for me, is next to impossible to complete. I hate restarting a whole series or tournament just because of one screw-up that lets the opposing cars get a huge lead. At the beginning, it was actually too easy of a game. Then, once you start racing against exotics that run near-perfect laps, it's just get too damn frustrating. I've just moved on to Forza & GTA 4 racing instead...

• 1 month later...

The AI cars are just too good they rarely make any mistakes whatsoever and even in F1 great drivers make mistakes.The constant restarting of races gets so tedious as one error near the end of the race and thats it game over.The shortcuts aren`t helpful as you are going too fast at times to notice them and its so easy to take a wrong turn.I like a challenge,but Midnight Club at times just gets stupid.

It's nice that you can check the number of restarts you made in the statistics. I made over 700 restarts. :)

Bike is the easiest way. You can usually crash 2-3 times and still win. There are events where you have to use cars (like win XX times with a luxury car etc), but these aren't that hard. There are a few hard ones necessary (tournaments), which can be very difficult because they usually consist of three races, and you have to be in the top 3 in all of them, and win at least one or two.

This game is hard, but the satisfaction after completing it (and each hard event) is huge. That's the hardest game I've played, I usually avoid those, I prefer easy and relaxing games, I hate having to replay the same thing over and over.

• 2 months later...

Idk, for me, I use the lancer upgraded as much as possible. It might not turn the best, but if there is any freeway in the race you will blow past everyone. Im about 50 percent done, so I bet its going to get harder. I think this game is amazing so far. Just takes some serious skill on some of the races I guess.

• 1 month later...

I raced a ford focus I won until the ducati 999 unlocked then I was winning every race. Now I have to race as hard and fast as I can on the bike and still getting beat without crashing a single time. I could get more draft and allow for a bump or two with a car but I only have $150,000 after 20 hours of racing. I lost 2 pink slip races due to head on crashes and it sucks hardcore.

Edited by JokerDe
grammer

• 3 months later...

I never did finish this game. I got 44 of the 55 total achievements and that’s all im gunna get. The weird part is that is seems split right down the middle. Half the people say its not to hard to beat, the other half say its impossible. Its as if they made two versions of the game, one harder and one easier.

When I played the game I would go online and race people who had beaten the whole game and I’d win against them quite often, yet I couldn’t win the actual game to save my life.

To expand on my two versions of the game theory, everyone always says use a motorcycle. Well I tried that, but even with one I couldn’t win. Right off the starting line the cars would either keep up or pull ahead of me despite the motorcycle have twice the acceleration and speed. It made no damn sense.

Quoting Harry Lloyd in his above post “Bike is the easiest way. You can usually crash 2-3 times and still win.” I’m not saying that wasn’t the case for you, but in my game one crash on a bike, even if you were ahead, meant an instant loss. By the time you got back on your bike and got going again they were so far head of you catching back up wasn’t gunna happen. Not to mention that crashing on a bike was an almost certainty. All you had to do was merely graze a car/curb/lamp post etc. and you went flying.

The problem I have is that I actually liked the game. I’d drive around doing side races and win money, buy more cars, then go race them. I won so much money winning the side races I maxed out the amount of cars you can buy. I loved doing the custom vinyl work too. Racing online was a blast and it took me no time at all to get the online achievements. It just pisses me off that I cant finish the damn single player game!

have you mastered the controls on the bike?

that is really weird im on my second playthorugh of the game(because i made a new tag because im going for 100 completion)

and it really doesnt seem all that diffrent then the last time.

Also you have to take into consideration how good of a driver you are in racing games.

On my Other tag(OlegWasHere)

Tag

I Completed the whole game including dlc without hitting 5000 miles. Probably the same for this time.

Ive already beaten the city champ and have yet to hit 1000 miles.

At The Begining Of the game i chose the nissan. put all parts into performance. raced with it until i got challenged by carol.

raced with that car until i got about 30 wins.

Performance parts unlock by winning races in the mission log.(they give you more xp to rank up)

if you dont do the mission log races it will take forever to complete

you can always scroll and do all the green races witch are the easiest. but you get less money from them.

Once you beat the city champ carol sends you to get 1 million dollars to buy 50 percent of the garage.

Once you buy it every car and part is free.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I Completed the whole game including dlc without hitting 5000 miles. Probably the same for this time.

Ive already beaten the city champ and have yet to hit 1000 miles.

Just out of curiosity, what version of the game do you have? The complete edition or did you have to download South Central DLC?

Also what is your rank and how many reputation points do you have?

Here’s what I’m curious about. I got about half way into the game and decided I was just going to get the fastest, best handling car I could, which at the time I assumed would be the Saleen S7.

So I just started doing side race after side race until I won like 1+ million dollars to buy and modify it. Then I went out and tried again to do the mission races. I mistakenly assumed the faster car would help, but found out the AI just put the same class cars in the race with me.

Well by the time I did all those side races my rank was at Idol and I had like 275,000 reputation points. I have over 10,000 miles driven as well. Here’s what I’m wondering. Does your rank and reputation have anything to do with how hard the AI will be in mission races? I have a strong feeling it might. I think this might be why some people, like yourself, seem to find the game so easy while so many other, like myself, cant beat them to save my life.

I’m curious what you and others think about this.

Edited by ReaptheChaos

Patience will probs be the best way to get through this game. And also read guides.

Don’t take this wrong but why are you offering advice on a game you’ve never played? I guess that’s how you get to 2700+ posts huh?

Edited by ReaptheChaos

Well after taking this game back up months after I gave up on it I was finally able to beat the main missions. Like everyone else before me has said you basically have to use the motorcycle if you want to stand a chance of beating it. I’ll be honest, that’s kind of the f-ed up part of it. If I wanted a motorcycle race game I would have bought one. The fact that you really stand no chance in hell of beating most of the races in a car is messed up to say the least.

I guess the only advise I can give is to get used to driving the motorcycle. Go online and enter a cruise and just ride around till you get the hang of it. Along with that I highly suggest you equip the EMP and learn to use it. When you see a car getting ready to pass you, slam them with it, that’s about the only chance you have of beating the game.

To repeat what I’ve said before, the game simply cheats. No mater what car you enter the race with the game will put at least one car in that out classes you. Even when it doesn’t they still give the cars abilities they otherwise don’t have. I was just in a Goal Attack race in a 3000GT and two of the cars with me were Firebirds. About half way through the race after I had been ahead for a while both of them flew past me like I had just crashed! Which is impossible, the 3000GT has nearly twice the speed/acceleration/handling of the Firebird, yet they came from behind and pass me like I was standing still! I don’t mind a difficult race but the game simply doesn’t play fair.

The only thing you may have difficulty with are the Goal Attack races. They don’t allow you to use the Special ability in them so you just have to out drive them, which is pretty hard to do most times. Just keep redoing them until you learn the course.

One trick I did learn is if you get in the race and it puts other motorcycles in there with you quit and start over. (Don’t use restart because it will just put the same vehicles back in) Do this until you’re up against only cars, this will give you an advantage, especially on the races in The Hills where they have all those winding/curvy roads.

Edited by ReaptheChaos

He's spammed the entire board all day with similar redundant comments that don't make any sense or aren't helpful in any way.

LMAO! Yes "Have patience and read the guides..." What a rare and highly intuitive piece of advice that is! It never occurred to me to try that, he should post that little pearl of wisdom on every game board here!

I don't know how I got 1250G on this game, a lot of patience and time I guess, you need a good amount of skill in some of the races though. LA is a huge city. I think its the goal attacks that really challenge you, I got through it all with a tuned Ninja, had to master it first but its an awesome bike. The games a lot of fun once you get into it, good luck!

Just out of curiosity, what version of the game do you have? The complete edition or did you have to download South Central DLC?

Also what is your rank and how many reputation points do you have?

Here’s what I’m curious about. I got about half way into the game and decided I was just going to get the fastest, best handling car I could, which at the time I assumed would be the Saleen S7.

So I just started doing side race after side race until I won like 1+ million dollars to buy and modify it. Then I went out and tried again to do the mission races. I mistakenly assumed the faster car would help, but found out the AI just put the same class cars in the race with me.

Well by the time I did all those side races my rank was at Idol and I had like 275,000 reputation points. I have over 10,000 miles driven as well. Here’s what I’m wondering. Does your rank and reputation have anything to do with how hard the AI will be in mission races? I have a strong feeling it might. I think this might be why some people, like yourself, seem to find the game so easy while so many other, like myself, cant beat them to save my life.

I’m curious what you and others think about this.

i bought the original version and then paid for the dlc via marketplace

(from what i read the original version is what people complain about)

im savant or legend not sure how much xp i have i just know i cant level up anymore.

im working on the goal attacks and my 5000 miles

currently at 2300 last time i checked.

from my experience car effects challenge.

but your statement saying its impossible to beat the races without a motorcycle is off base.

most likely you wont be able to finish all the goal attacks with only cars but its possible with practice(cars are bigger so driving them on goal attack is alot harder to get less then 25 percent damage)

i did 65 percent of the career on cars.

i used the 240 until i got the first muscle car and then used that until i got the pinkslip for the rx8 and lancer.

i used those until the city champ.

then used the bike.

Spoiler

once you beat the city champ the garage owner asks you to buy into the business and then everything is free (after paying 1 million dollars)

/end spoiler

so with that in mind. This game is without a doubt a fun game but does take skill.

if your good with a certain type of car stick to it.

another note that ive noticed in many racing games not just this one is its alot easier if you get used to driving on manual and not automatic.

you can downshift before a turn and then get right back in it quickly and effectivley.

points on cars:

Tuners:They handle great but suck at accelration(even when fully tuned)

Muscle:Fast Take off with decent handling(best if paired with zone)

Exotic This is the all around fast car with the handling. (but when you have an exotic the cpu usually drives s7, ford gt, lambos =equally challenged cars)

Luxury:its heavy and slow and should only be used for looks.

Bikes:By far these are the fastest and lightest in the game, if you wheelie until about 145-150mph you can get a quick take off and have an advantage.

BUT you must learn to use weight transfer to your advantage before really seeing great success with them.

if you need any other tips advice besides teach me how to play id be happy to help you.

edit:as for your comment about more rep=harder races.

honestly im not sure because i always stuck to career missions rather then doing regular races.

but after i beat the city champ i did start doing side races for regular champs but honestly i couldn't tell the difference.

for goal attacks: if you use the bike, learn how to use weight transfer to your advantage, lean into the corners shift down as soon as your out shift up lean forward.

Edited by AtTheHeightOfitAll

I did finally beat the main game, all I have left to do now is about half of the goal attacks. To be honest I’m finding the goal attacks easier than the main game. The thing about those is it’s the same race every time so if you screw up or crash you can restart and try again. The problem with the main game is, it would give you a random race each time so you couldn’t get to know the course and with 25 or so races per area trying to memories them all is just ridiculous.

I don’t know what your experience was, but in my game you were basically forced to race either the bike or one of the exotics. If you tried to enter the race in a tuner or a muscle car they would always put at least one exotic or even a bike in the race with you. I didn’t have a problem at first, I did all the Hollywood missions and most of the downtown ones in the same Nissan 240SX that I started the game with, it wasn’t until I got to the beaches races that they started out classing me with every car in the race and that’s when I was forced to start doing side races to buy faster cars, when I’d get something faster they would in turn, put even faster ones in the races.

Just for kicks I just now got in my original car, the Nissan 240, and started the Beaches match. They put a Nissan 350Z, a Comoro concept, a challenger concept and a 3000GT against me in the race. I quit out of that and got the Challenger concept, which was the second car I bought in the game and this time they put in 2 Z-06‘s, a Camaro concept and another Challenger.

There’s no way those are fair races, but that’s just the way the game played for me. You’re constantly outclassed in every race you enter by at least one of the cars so you’re forced to just get an exotic or a bike, then at least the games fair, but now you’re flying through the race so damn fast you barely have time to react. Couple that with an AI that never makes mistakes and seem to magically fly through corners like their glued to the road and it’s easy to see why so many get frustrated with this game.

I’ll have to stick with my original assessment, you basically have to use the bike to get through most of the races. Mostly because of what I said above, your forced to race either that or an exotic and the bike simply handles better.

For one thing they cant slip-stream you on a bike. Secondly your able to slip through most obstacles unscathed. If you hit trees or light poles you just kind of bounce off them which allows you to build up your Special much faster. On a bike even taking a corner too fast and slamming sideways into a wall wont effect the build up of your Special as long as you can get back up to speed quickly.

Finally they just handle better. Unlike the AI you simply cant take some of those corners at tops speeds without losing control. With a bike you can slow down quite a bit before a sharp corner and because of the high acceleration you can regain your speed fairly quickly. Honestly it’s pretty white knuckle racing on a bike, you’re constantly hoping you don’t round a corner and go face first into another car. You have a lot of near misses and you basically need a lot of luck to get through a race without getting slammed head on by traffic.

• 1 month later...

I finished this a while back, i mean of course its hard but thats what makes a game good. I dont want to always win everything every time, id like some challenge. I thought this was a very fun game but that's just my opinion. And some of you might not like this at all and thats fine too.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread on an old game, but I have to agree... the game gets damn hard.

It took me about 20 tries to beat the DUB camaro race... I tried in my 69 Camaro and kept getting screwed and only getting one 1st place win, then two 3rd/4ths. Then I tried my RX-8 (Too slow) and my Ninja (Couldn't get the hang of it quick enough), so I decided to try my Camaro again and finally beat it. I got 1st in the first two races, then I was in 2nd the entire last race when I clipped a wall right before the end and flipped over, putting me in 4th. I ended up tying for first, I am glad that counts as a win!!

EDIT: I just had the best win ever. I was doing a stoplight race on the Ninja against a Saleen S7, and we were neck and neck (But both coming from opposite directions) due to me hitting a wall, I over shot the finish line and thought I was screwed, I then hit the S7 and crashed. The S7 pushed my wrecked riderless bike across the finish line giving me the win.

Edited by redlight racer