VERY convinced that Time Trial 16 is IMPOSSIBLE.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was barely able too get this one, what's holding me up is chamber 13 step challenge I can't seem to get less then 12.

as for the deleting records problem it isn't a patch problem. What happens is the game DOES NOT auto save after you beat the level you must do a save on some random level just so that you can keep the score, then when you load the game back up you have too load that save and just go too a new game from there.

this took me a long time too figure out.

• 4 weeks later...

After doing every challenge up till chamber 16 legit, I completely buckled.

I cheated like a mother-fucker on this one. I completely empathise.

I literally avoided doing the whole switch thing in the last chamber. The funny thing is though, It was still hard as hell with cheats. Barely did it in 51 seconds.

Have you seen the videos of people doing this legit though? They're fucking crazy, clairvoyance, there's no other word for it.

If you actually do it legit someday. Major props.

If you actually don't do it legit. Still props.

• 3 weeks later...

Try what the guys does in this video.

Holy cow, that person is good. I used a similar video and saved throughout if my time was on par with it. The video posted above looks like it might be PC and not XBOX. Rest assured, that even with the clunkier XBOX controls, it's possible. I had to turn the "look" sensitivity up under options to get anywhere near close to the necessary speed. Other than that, it took a good few hours of trial and error.

• 1 month later...
Forget it, I completed the freaking time trial, just in time to notice that ALL MY MEDALS ARE GONE ALONG WITH MY CHALLENGES. So much for Valve patching this bs... >_>

not valve's fault, valve tried getting updates but microsoft and ea said no, fixed on pc though

• 2 weeks later...

Started this about 45 minutes ago. After 30-35 minutes of trying I got it. This is how:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtXoZk9cGno]YouTube - ‪Portal - Chamber 16 in 39 seconds‬‏[/ame]

This strategy is flawless. And the best thing about it is that you get 13 seconds lee-way! I just squeezed it in 52 seconds dead. It'll take a while to get used to how he does it, but start following it through, but slowly. Build up. And remember, if you hit a good time then mess up; kill yourself and load from the previous good time you were at!

P.S. This isn't a guy I know that I'm advertising, someone else posted his link on here somewhere. Good luck :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just finished this one yesterday, took me three days to get all those golds and this probably the hardest of all, with the steps ones (all of them) coming second.

Either portal bump past the first door (I don't class it as cheating, it still unlocks the achievement and the time you gain is very handy), or run like a madman. I shaded it with a 52 second run.

Chamber 18 was almost as annoying, 17 you can bump too.

You have to use the portal bumping glitch to get out of the first room while GLaDOS is talking. If you do it quick enough it gives you about a 20 second head start. For the rest of the level my strategy was to grab a cube and use it to knock over all the turrets while simultaneously blocking their shots. Even then I still managed to finish in exactly 52 seconds.

Edited by AtomicThumbs

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually found time trial 18 to be worse, I tried following the guides in youtube but could just not get within the time limit - I'd always be about 10 seconds off. In the end I used the portal anywhere cheat, but I did all the others without cheats. Time trial 16 was definetly doable in my opinion, you just had to think fast and use the portal bump glitch to give you a few extra seconds.

• 5 months later...

I sympathize with you lot that cheated to get this achievement, but I'm happy to say I didn't. Not because I'm better than you. I'm just convinced that because of the time it takes to put in a cheat, and the extra time that it randomly tacks onto you because of that, cheating is approximately as difficult as doing them legit.

They're ridiculously hard, but not impossible. It really is all a matter of memorization, till you know where to put ever portal before entering a room. 16 is hard because there's really no margin of error, but I do think that 18 is the hardest, simply because it's so long. You need pure, uninterrupted perfection.