Easter Eggs

SLAIFER

Looking for Easter Eggs in Shadow Complex.

Anything really, or possibly references to the book or a bigger picture.

1.) Jason Bailey (Jason is the name of the PC), a master achievement, sounds very similar to a password for Metroid (NES). In Metroid, entering the code "JUSTIN BAILEY" made Samus play only in her bathing suit. The icon for the master achievement is a pair of briefs.

2.) Difficulty levels are Casual, Normal, Hardcore, and Insane. These same difficulty options are found in Gears of War, also published by Epic.

3.) When using the final automatic weapon BEFORE obtaining Inertial Element, have a look at the bullets on your HUD. Instead of bullets, they are actually a series of 1's and 0's.

When translated with a binary editor, this seems to be the encrypted message "fffff." Turns out, this isn't much of an Easter egg.

Edited by SLAIFER

(I cant find the third one anywhere.)On the master challenges,the very last one says to leave her to her faith,or something like that.What the hell does that mean?Is this only unlockable after the 4% run through.Also,listen to the ambiance of the cafeteria when your crawling on top of the ventilation above the soldiers when their talking about takeing out a large city.Stop in the middle and wait for the conversation to end.I may be wrong but i think one of the soldiers in the background is literally talking about an actual reference to a book about the game your playing.Not really an EE,but still kind of funny.

Here's two easter eggs.

1) I think this one is well known, but it's when you go back to the jeep before you save claire and you just ditch her.

2) When swimming after you get the scuba mask and all of the debris and bodies are floating in the water with the soft piano music, you can go to the top of one of the rooms and you'll find two living soldiers that were forced there because apparently they can't swim.

It's the room where you fight like 10 guys.

I'm not sure if this is an easter egg but the section you flood with the piano music really reminded me of Metroid Prime (this game obviously takes several cues from the Metroid series) because there was also an underwater area that you had previously visited not filled with water that had piano music. So maybe not a specific reference but it sure reminded me of it.

Maridia in Super Metroid. Or Phendrana Drifts in Prime. The water-based levels in Metroid always have somber b/g music; as soon as I dove into the flooded commons and heard it, memories of blowing open the tube with a Power Bomb to get into Maridia in Super Metroid came rushing back.

God I love this game. :)

::huge metroid nerd::

Maridia in Super Metroid. Or Phendrana Drifts in Prime. The water-based levels in Metroid always have somber b/g music; as soon as I dove into the flooded commons and heard it, memories of blowing open the tube with a Power Bomb to get into Maridia in Super Metroid came rushing back.

God I love this game. :)

::huge metroid nerd::

I was actually talking about the Crashed Pirate Frigate in Metroid Prime, but those are good too :) The Frigate was the first that came to mind as it was the most memorable too me.

(also huge Metroid nerd)

in some area cant remember, the enemies, are talking about going to chicago, and blowing up the cubs, or chocking, or somehing like that. that was funny. considering im a cubs fan.

As am I! I heard it and they talked about what will it take for Cubs to win this year. Maybe if they go and help out they will win (something along those lines) I heard it and listened more carefully the next few times, got a nice little giggle out of it :)

I dont know anymore, but thanks for sharing what you have found

(I cant find the third one anywhere.)On the master challenges,the very last one says to leave her to her faith,or something like that.What the hell does that mean?Is this only unlockable after the 4% run through.Also,listen to the ambiance of the cafeteria when your crawling on top of the ventilation above the soldiers when their talking about takeing out a large city.Stop in the middle and wait for the conversation to end.I may be wrong but i think one of the soldiers in the background is literally talking about an actual reference to a book about the game your playing.Not really an EE,but still kind of funny.

To leave her to her fate press B in front of the jeep you came with. This will end the game.

• 4 months later...

If I'm not mistaken, is the Golden Gun room not something to reference Goldeneye, the room in the Temple where you get the Golden Gun? Or something like that...plus the Pulse Rifle/Inertial Element/Shotgun looks kind of familiar to me too....

And let's not forget the Devastators look like ED-209, the Tarantulas are most likely a nod to Wild Wild West, and two soldiers think that if they "liberated" the Cubs from Chicago they'd win more often. Also, if you sneak into rooms as opposed to running in all willy-nilly, you hear some funny conversations. (One I found funny in particular was two soldiers making fun of a third who "finally figured out how to zip his suit up the right way")

A fairly obvious one is the "Hookshot" which is more Zelda-ish than Metroid-ish, although it's in both games(though in Metroid it's known as the Grapple Beam)

One last one, but is it me or does the "armor" Jason gets with the Thrust Pack kind of make him look like Sam Fisher? xD

• 4 months later...
...Also,listen to the ambiance of the cafeteria when your crawling on top of the ventilation above the soldiers when their talking about takeing out a large city.Stop in the middle and wait for the conversation to end.I may be wrong but i think one of the soldiers in the background is literally talking about an actual reference to a book about the game your playing.Not really an EE,but still kind of funny.

Shadow Complex is actually based on the book "Empire" and most recently "Hidden Empire" written by Orson Scott Card. So you're not far off

Edited by Zombrex
messed up the quote

• 2 months later...