GUIDE: How to backup your GOW3 save game data!

I JiMb0 I

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this Jimbo, anyone else used any of the programs in the first thread? I want to backup and protect my save.

Yes, you can still MOVE these files, just not copy, I was hoping the new cloud storage would be out soon, and we could backup these there like on PSN.

Games Devs have had the ability to prevent their game data from being copied, I think it's to due with purchased content like the weapon skins. It is really annoying, especially when you hear about data corrupting.

I used a USB Drive/Pen Drive/whatever, for all my saves anyway since I have one console downstairs and one upstairs, but if you didn't, get one and you can move it or if you have a transfer cable, you can connect up an original Xbox 360 hard drive, but the new HDDs inside slims have different (standard) connectors (instead of Microsoft's propriatory ones on the old HDDs).

Microsoft did recently announce they will be releasing one (better late than never), however, if you have an old original hdd you don't need anymore, or get one off ebay, you can dismantel it, and use a tiny cable inside to be able to connect a Slim Xbox 360 HDD to the old transfer cable, of course, you'll invalidate the warranty on the HDD doing it that way, but that's probably long expired by now.

Edited by AceMcCloud

so let me get this straight it is NOT possible to just copy the save game file to a usb stick?

i have been able to do this with every other game i have played why is it not possible with this one?

(btw im using a xbox 360 elite 120g)

No saves for GOW 3 are locked to prevent you copying them! I have no idea why but they are!

Ok so ive got a 16GB USB which i used for copy my GOW data. Luckily i have to accounts one for spare which i occassionally use to boost with or my sister uses and has a small amount of data so i tested on that first so bulk of my data isnt lost. Ok well i havnt lost any data however i configured my USB for Xbox 360 use, and moved the GOW3 data onto it. Then used my program Xport 360 but i doesnt recognise any xbox data from the usb. Then i tried downloaded one of the programs from the list at the top - i went with Xplorer 306 - and that still dosnt recognise the data, so how are you supposed to open it?

Worked perfectly. Tested it on a dummy account first and it I had no problems. Still, fingers crossed I never have to use any of the back ups I make.

One question though, if I were to copy the dat file onto a save from a different profile, what would happen? Corrupt it? Give all the stats to that profile? Or would it just not work?

Worked perfectly. Tested it on a dummy account first and it I had no problems. Still, fingers crossed I never have to use any of the back ups I make.

One question though, if I were to copy the dat file onto a save from a different profile, what would happen? Corrupt it? Give all the stats to that profile? Or would it just not work?

It would not work, save game files are locked to the account that makes them. This would be game saving and get you banned so don't try!

May you please make a video guide how to use party buffalo? lol

Sorry I don't have the time to do this at the moment, the program is pretty self explanatory though! :)

This is a great guide and thanks for the effort, but now it seems rather meaningless since the new Xbox Live update features Cloud (same as Steam) that makes the backups of your saved games to Xbox Live.

Yes this feature will be added soon but if this service syncs when changes are made to your hard drive then when GOW 3 corrupts your save game files it would also be corrupted to the xbox cloud as well. Unless the service allows you to recover a specific save game from a set date then you still risk loosing data. The choice is yours but personally I trust having a backup or 2 on my PC over a service Microsoft offers! :)

I feel like i am not confident enough to make this ,im afraid of making mistakes...so it would be really nice if you could make a video walktrough sir.

I heard things like party buffalo ,usb stick...i would be really appreciated if you could take the easiest method which would/could work for everyone.

I am also afraid about a global whipe which would reset everything back to zero ,regardless if you made a backup or not...

I was like: " dont play with a guest profile ,or don`t switch to another profile ,you can also boost things with a friend " ,but still im worried about loosing my profile by anything else.

Maybe i should speak with Microsoft too ,but...

Do I have to buy a data transfer cable for Xbox 360 hard disk drive?

This is the right one to buy for an xbox360 elite?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Data-Transfer-Cable-Xbox-HARD-DRIVE/dp/B001O3QU6A/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1318720657&sr=8-14]Amazon.com: Data Transfer Cable for Xbox 360 HARD DISK DRIVE: Video Games[/ame]

Edited by MissGIRLKombat

Do I have to buy a data transfer cable for Xbox 360 hard disk drive?

This is the right one to buy for an xbox360 elite?

Amazon.com: Data Transfer Cable for Xbox 360 HARD DISK DRIVE: Video Games

Yes you need the transfer cable to connect the hard drive to the computer! the one on Amazon looks perfect! Other than that transfer your profile/saves onto a USB memory stick and plug that into the computer!

There is actually an easier (and cheaper way) to backup your save file.

Start the game and select the storage device as you'd usually do.

Then once you are logged in and can choose your game modes go to ‘options’ and change your storage device to a memory stick or USB.

You will be sent back to the "Press Start" Screen.

Now play a game or Campaign and your stats will be saved as a new file on your selected memory stick or USB.

After that change your standard storage device back to your HDD.

Worked for me.

This is stealing my motivation for the achievement man.

This Achievement takes so much time and now we have a big problem with loosing savefiles ,how fucked up is this?

I didn`t lost anything but i feel really sorry for those who lost their savefiles.

And i know i could be the next one ,who could loose his savefile.

Big frustration...

so, im having some difficulty transferring my saves. i plugged in a usb drive into my old fatty xbox, it reconfigured it to work for xboxs, so now im moving some save files and stuff that i want to put into my new xbox slim. so i transfer everything over into the usb, then i plug in my slim, set it up, then plug the usb into the slim. it shows up in memory, it says, transfer files, i select them all and i begin to transfer, it said transferring x/16 files which sounds correct, but in the end, not all 16 files were transferred.. none of my gears 3 data was transferred, and no data was transferred from other games, and now both of my xbox wont read my usb stick. i plugged in the stick into the computer, and the computer wont read it either. in "my computer" it shows up for about a second then dissapears. then shows up again for about a second then dissapears for another 5. btw there is a flashing light on the stick and whenever its trying to connect, i assume, it flashes, but when the flashing stops the drive appears, then dissapears, then restarts the process. anyone know how to solve this? cus i dont like how all my files i cared about are on this drive that nothing can read or will accept.