MEDALS Collection

MAKAIMURA

Hi there,

I need help (or perfect advice)about 2 horribles medals:

- 800 enemies down

- no shot down in one game

For the first, I kill around 700 enemies.

The second medal is my worst nightmare, the 12th stageis to me a curse place.

I want unlock the helmet's avatar, please heeeeeeelp :eek:

800 kills:

The key is to have as many stars as possible. So the lesser you die, the more enemies will appear in the stages. This video(and the other two parts of it) is really helpfull to learn where exactly to use climax: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDTSApDzy3Y]YouTube- AfterBurner Climax (1/3)[/ame]

My kill stats:

After stage 5: 333

After 10th stage: 625

Total (including stage 14 and 15): 811

(i was going left at stage 4 and from there on i always choose the right option)

So there is no trick or glitch...just try to kill everything and try to stay alive as long as possible and the sooner or later you will get this medal.

No shot downs:

Dont kill any enemy so you dont earn any stars. Therefore you will have the easiest version of all the stages.

In stage 12 i flew half circles all the way. (right-->bottom-->left...and back: left-->bottom-->right) Do those half circles slowy with your left stick so you can still react on those bomb clouds(or whatever they re called). When the red rockets appear speed up with RT (i think you already know this).

But in the end its all about beeing lucky. I got to stage 12 with 9% armor (got stupidly hit by the choppers at the end of stage 11 and even collided with the walls trying to evade their rockets) and did not get hit till the end of stage 13. So i got the medal with pure luck.

Edited by JimmyPlacid

• 2 months later...

you can fly through the first 3 stages without shooting anyone. but there is this one guy who's missle you cannot dodge... you HAVE TO KILL HIM or he WILL hit you. I've tried everything. banking ahead of time and at the last second, barrel rolling ahead of time and at the last second. and changing course like mad at all speeds "barrel rolling can confuse some missles but don't rely on it too much. but never worked on this guy yet."

the reason you can't dodge it is because he don't shoot till he is point blank range from your face. there is 1 in every stage after stage 3. (not including stages where you fly through canyons and such. only in free flight areas!) they are actually very easy to spot. when they show up, they start barrel rolling non-stop and charge strait at you. they are purple in color (at least on my tv) and if you try to change course, well they will change too. so they get in your face no matter what and they never fire until they are 1 inch from you. other than that one jet, everything else is easily dodged through banking and boosting.

Also if all that isn't specific enough, his missle has purple/blue smoke too. as where everyone else has yellow or red.

If you do know a way to simply dodge the missle, i'd like to know.........

Edited by Jon Mcloud

• 1 month later...

It has to be done in 1 sitting. If you ever played "Starfox 64"? same thing. short game where you do missions and choose your path and can make a runthrough of the game in 10-20 minutes depending on how fast you like to go.

If you're playing it for the achievements, you have nothing to worry about. the achievements are pure cake. its only 1 avatar award that is hard to get.

Edited by Jon Mcloud

It has to be done in 1 sitting. If you ever played "Starfox 64"? same thing. short game where you do missions and choose your path and can make a runthrough of the game in 10-20 minutes depending on how fast you like to go.

If you're playing it for the achievements, you have nothing to worry about. the achievements are pure cake. its only 1 avatar award that is hard to get.

Thanks for the info, i actually got the 200gs in about 1.5hrs and that's because i was fooling around w/score attack first.

No shot downs:

Dont kill any enemy so you dont earn any stars. Therefore you will have the easiest version of all the stages.

In stage 12 i flew half circles all the way. (right-->bottom-->left...and back: left-->bottom-->right) Do those half circles slowy with your left stick so you can still react on those bomb clouds(or whatever they re called). When the red rockets appear speed up with RT (i think you already know this).

But in the end its all about beeing lucky. I got to stage 12 with 9% armor (got stupidly hit by the choppers at the end of stage 11 and even collided with the walls trying to evade their rockets) and did not get hit till the end of stage 13. So i got the medal with pure luck.

Does crashing on mountains count as shot downs too?

Edited by AOS Puck

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, as i stated 16 months ago (2nd post in this thread) it is necessary to gain stars to make more enemies appear. When you kill more than 50 % of the enemies in a stage you will gain a star, if you die you will lose a star. Same goes for the 300 Climax Kills, more stars --> more enemies ---> more kills. You already got many of the medals, so i guess you already know that you should use Climax in small bursts, so it is reloaded faster.

Back to the 800 kills:

In my opinion it is absolutely necessary to get to special stage 10. You need to have at least 4 stars + gaining one at the end of stage 9 to get access. In that stage is a huge amount of targets and no one is shooting at you. The difference between "normal" stage 10 and the special one should be at least 100 kills.

Edit: Dont hold the brake, you will get shot down if you do and lose a star.

Edited by JimmyPlacid

Cheers Jimmy I will give it a crack tonight, I am shooting down low 700's now so it will only be a matter of time and I will get the last three medals and helmet.

Just managed to get the 300 climax kills medal after a few attempts.

For no shoot downs I got to caught by rogue missile on stage 5. Got to 13b with 24% health and finished level with 6% health so got the medal!

two down, one to go!

Edited by flyestsquire
obtained no shoot down cleared game medal

Cheers Jimmy, don't worry, I will only aim for 67 lol :). I am 150th at the mo. generally I have been choosing final line of defence but may try nuclear Arsenal on my 800 runs. Am looking forward to getting the last medal, the helmet and joining the coveted ranks of the abc elite!

788 Shoot downs stage 1-13 and lost sight of the stealth bomber on stage 6 ffs!

Okay this morning I tried and got a score of 794 so I turned off my Xbox. Had to do the grocery shopping and just got in. switched on abc, missed some helicopters so could not get stage 14 or 15 but managed to rack up 805 kills by end of 13a so the helmet is mine, Finally!!!

Edited by flyestsquire
got it

• 2 weeks later...

I never played the game with a flight stick...but there is no need for it to get rid of your problem.

You re moving the left stick rapidly and directly from left to right or from right to left. Therefore you always perform a barrel roll by mistake when you re trying to evade enemy rockets and have to react fast.

But for evading enemies attacks quickly, it is better to do a change of direction by rotating the left stick...this way you will duck under or fly above enemies rockets AND wont perform a barrel roll.

Congrats to flyest squire, reminds me a bit of me being pretty happy back then gaining the helmet.

Edited by JimmyPlacid

Thanks for the advice Jimmy!

MAKAIMURA - the advice here is already perfect.

For no shoot down fly fast and only shoot the enemies that roll at you, via climax mode. if you do that you will not get any stars so will have the easiest difficulty on each level, if you get stuck on a particular level i.e. level 12 then practice it in training mode until you perfect it/ memorise the enemy plane positions.

For 800 shoot downs you need to stay alive as long as possible. The more stars you get the more enemies will spawn, there are about 1200 targets in total (you can check in training mode if you don’t believe it, max star for each level and don’t die on training run), so getting 800 takes some practice and perfection but is not impossible.

I would suggest writing your target kills for each level and then revisit each level and practice to kill as many as you can, after stage 5 I had about 347 kills, after stage 10 I had 627 by end 13A 805!:woop:

Good luck! :)