First review......

JohnnyBoosh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's promising if your hopes was a little PS1/2 esque Horror game. Clunky controls, High Difficulty etc. Decent horror value, for $10 of course. Something you'd find on a bargain bin and say "Aww why the hell not." but the only saving grace is that you paid $10. (Which for XBLAs, that's not good.)

I do love supporting developers in stuff like this, but hopefully they will take the Reviews to heart and clean up a lot of the messes they made. Maybe some patches will make Screen Tearing a bit easier on the eyes.

Ayx, much appreciated for your in depth non-demo review, that's more what I was looking for when searching for opinions on this game. People need to understand two things when it comes to arcade titles like this, number one it's not a $60 game in a $10 package, so it needs to be treated like a ten dollar experience. Number two NEVER judge a game by it's demo, regardless of arcade or full version. I've had friends that didn't like the original Bioshock demo and wrote off the series entirely. 99 times out of 100 the demo will never give you an accurate example of the game as a whole, sometimes the demos are made before the game is even finished or polished and isn't how the final game is gonna play or look. Too many good games are overlooked because of bad demos.

What needs to be realized is that even though an Arcade game is and should be realized as an Arcade game, that doesn't automatically mean that one should lower his expectations for said title.

Plenty of arcade titles in recent memory have been admirable, or even perfect (Bastion, Limbo) within the creative and budgetary constraints allowed by an Arcade game. We judge an Arcade game, and any game for that matter, by how well it performs within these constraints.

When a kid from the slums of Chicago applies to attend an ivy-league institution, his test scores aren't judged against the standards held by a prep school in Cambridge, Massachusetts, but judged against those of his classmates.

We cannot let off Amy for failing by saying "Oh, it's only 10 dollars" or "It's supposed to be artificially hard" because its developers simply failed at providing a quality experience. Plenty of other Arcade developers have created wonderful works within these same constraints, and we must criticize Amy because it is not a quality video game.

I really didn't mean it along the lines of not being critical because it's only a ten dollar game, it was more about the expectations and comparisons. A lot of people are going to compare it to Resident Evil or Silent Hill but that's not entirely fair to do considering the differences in effort and budgets.

It's like when 007 Bloodstone came out, was I going to pay $60 for the game? Heck no, but did I buy it when I saw it for $9 in Gamestop's bargain bin? Sure, I knew what I was getting into was probably going to be a miserable experience but for the price I was willing to take the plunge, milk it for some achievements and attempt to struggle and finish the game. Thereafter trade it back in for fifty cents. Was it fun? No it pretty much sucked, but I got about 400 points out of it and didn't feel like I wasted my money playing through it once.

I also tend to be fairly tolerant to terrible games lol. After all that said as i'm typing this i'm playing the Amy demo. It kinda sucks. I'm gonna buy it anyway so i'm not a hypocrite.

For people with the full game how does the frame rate hold up? I played the demo and certain sections slowed down so much I thought it was going to a cut scene
The screen tears more often than you ripping Toilet Paper.

If you want to abuse it for lolz, grab Amy's hand and do the sprint glitch animation (tapping LB while holding Amy) and the game's frame rate sorta craps out for a bit .

If you played the Demo, don't give a review based on it. That's exactly what it is, an introduction Chapter. The game starts in Chapter Two pretty much, it's some of the basic patterns (Hiding, shoving Amy down holes, sending her to hack 240 times like she's some wizard.) and you get Amy's abilities which is suppose to be really good but so far it's not proving too useful as you might as well bash the heads of the Zombies because you can't stealth them 80% of the time.

The game is beautiful, ignore the Screen Tearing and it's actually very well designed. The game is dark, gives a chilling feeling and has a few scares if you're using Turtle Beaches or a loud volume.

The thing that single handedly kills this game is the Checkpoint System, due to it the game's difficulty spikes intensely and not in a difficult way since it's trial and error, it's the time that it takes to get from Point A to Point B without messing up. It's about a 15 minute session if you don't run through it and it has to be pretty flawless (A little forgiveness if you failed Stealth on a Zombie since you can kill them, not a soldier or a big monster.) or you're done, back 15 minutes. Times this about 60 times and you finished one chapter of Amy. There's 6.

Once Outinthedark can confirm these achievements are Stackable the X/10 rating will be significantly lower and it will get a bonus with Video Walkthroughs. Without it, you're looking at an easy 8/10 simply in tediousness and the difficulty of the game later on.

Great game, the few flaws really can put the debate on the purchase or not.

The only time I am fine with a lack of a checkpoint system or a game that has a bad checkpoint system is a Survival Horror game. It reminds me a lot of old Silent Hill and Resident Evil where you had to save constantly.

That being said, is the game worth playing? It reminds me of old school Silent Hill and Resident Evil which I was hoping for and it seems like a good game.

The only time I am fine with a lack of a checkpoint system or a game that has a bad checkpoint system is a Survival Horror game. It reminds me a lot of old Silent Hill and Resident Evil where you had to save constantly.

That being said, is the game worth playing? It reminds me of old school Silent Hill and Resident Evil which I was hoping for and it seems like a good game.

Depends on your wallet; if you're one of the people who doesn't purchase XBLA games very often and feel like $10 is a stretch then this game might not appeal to you.

You can't save at all, you have to complete the whole chapter in One go and get one or two checkpoints inbetween the level. Although each level is only 30+ minutes long with a cleanish run, you're going to stay hours yelling and bitching but scared to rage quit because your progress will go down the drain. If you've played (and enjoyed) those classics? Give this one a try because it's actually really nice. It's just really damn hard.

Thanks to the x360a community, all the achievements have been acquired and Outinthedark has a guide that's being updated with step to step walkthroughs to be able to survive Amy. The game is a very possible 200/200G as the game is pretty much done in one playthrough (Difficulties Stack)

To be fair, I've waster 800MSP on worse games in the XBLA. At least once I'm done with Amy, video guide or not, I felt like these 200Gs were definitely earned and it'll feel good.

Most of the reviews I have read are just not giving it a chance. First they are expecting way too much from a XBLA game - you can't compare it to a AAA title or something. Also the biggest complaints I have read are poor combat and that it is too hard. As far as the combat, it is not really that bad and it's easy to get used to if you have played any of the older Sient Hill games. As far as being hard I did my first playthrough on easy and didn't have many problems except for one stealth part. I still have to go through on hard.It seems to me that most of the reviewers just are not survival horror fans which this game is obviously I have not played a sports game in at least 10 years so I would not try to review this one.

I liked this, there is some nostalgia value from playing old survival horror games which is my favorite genre. I would say most people that liked the Silent Hill games would like this, and if you are a survival horror fan used to hard combat, and hard difficulty then it is worth the 10 bucks. Really it is just making me want the Silent Hill Hd collection even more.

I'm not one to let reviews get in the way of games..but after seeing ign maybe I'll think twice. Like many ppl, I'll just wait till it goes in the deal bin..

Watching the video review, he gave up on Chapter 2 where I honestly wanted to give up too.

He only made it to checkpoint 1 of Chapter 2.

Listening to the podcast he says he played for about a dozen hours. I beat the game on Hard in a dozen hours so I wonder why just the first 2 chapters in the video footage.

Edited by Outinthedark

Aside from one puzzle that had me scratching my head, the only part that made me want to give up was the first half or so of Chapter 5. I was playing on Easy, albeit, but I didn't have trouble with anything aside from my own general stupidity.

Got this despite all the bad reviews and I'm mostly not disappointed. I would've liked to see some more powers for Amy, and maybe a bit longer since - once you know what you're doing - the levels are extremely short. But for a ten dollar arcade game? It's pretty boss overall.

Aside from one puzzle that had me scratching my head, the only part that made me want to give up was the first half or so of Chapter 5. I was playing on Easy, albeit, but I didn't have trouble with anything aside from my own general stupidity.

Got this despite all the bad reviews and I'm mostly not disappointed. I would've liked to see some more powers for Amy, and maybe a bit longer since - once you know what you're doing - the levels are extremely short. But for a ten dollar arcade game? It's pretty boss overall.

I agree with you, this game is not so bad. its just a bit frustrating at times.:uzi::p.

i feel bad for people who let a little review scare them away from trying even a demo. this will be a rewarding 200:gsicon:.

Watching the video review, he gave up on Chapter 2 where I honestly wanted to give up too.

He only made it to checkpoint 1 of Chapter 2.

Listening to the podcast he says he played for about a dozen hours. I beat the game on Hard in a dozen hours so I wonder why just the first 2 chapters in the video footage.

My brother told me that a few reviewers actually quit on chapter 2. I only had a slight problem with that chapter and I would hardly consider myself a real "pro" gamer. The fact that these guys do this as a professional and could not get through it makes me really want to just ignore anything these people say. If you don't play a certain genre of game don't review it, and and don't bash the game because you can't get through it. I don't play straight RPGs, and but I'm not going to bash it, and because of that. I these people obviously just didn't get it.

The only part that really gave me trouble was chapter 5, but that's just done know. I I am a little worried about the hard playthrough so I'm not going to break for a day or 2 before trying it. Overall though I though it was a pretty good game. I always say they don't make survival horror games like they used to, and but this (and Alan Wake), give me hope. Which reminds me this game reminds me a little bit of Clocktower mainly because of the hiding.

What needs to be realized is that even though an Arcade game is and should be realized as an Arcade game, that doesn't automatically mean that one should lower his expectations for said title.

Plenty of arcade titles in recent memory have been admirable, or even perfect (Bastion, Limbo) within the creative and budgetary constraints allowed by an Arcade game. We judge an Arcade game, and any game for that matter, by how well it performs within these constraints.

When a kid from the slums of Chicago applies to attend an ivy-league institution, his test scores aren't judged against the standards held by a prep school in Cambridge, Massachusetts, but judged against those of his classmates.

We cannot let off Amy for failing by saying "Oh, it's only 10 dollars" or "It's supposed to be artificially hard" because its developers simply failed at providing a quality experience. Plenty of other Arcade developers have created wonderful works within these same constraints, and we must criticize Amy because it is not a quality video game.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Based off the reviews and from what I've seen on Youtube, I doubt I'll pick this up, like originally planned.

I was originally to plan to buy this game based of silent hill/resident evil feels back in PS1 but now not too sure about it. Maybe if it will be on DoTW then I will might reconsidering it.

Axy, I am sorry but please take that video gif down. It slowing my page down and very annoyed about it when Im trying to read it.