NHL 12 Offense/Defense tips

DborKnowsBest

These are just a few helpful tips for those of you new to NHL12.

Offense

Camera Angles

Believe it or not, the camera angle you play with can make a lot of difference in your success in the game. You need a camera angle which will not only let you see the goal well, but be able to see enough of the ice to find teammates which are open and in position for a high percentage shot.

Spread It Out

As you and your teammates rush down th ice, keep your guys spread out. If you get everyone in one particular area, it can make it difficult to get the puck to the net.

Spreading out your offense can create larger passing lanes and gives the defense more ice to cover, increasing the chance they may over-pursue you, leaving one of your guys open for a quick one-timer. Pass the puck around and make things happen.

Aim Your Shots

To do this, check the game's settings/options and make sure that the shot aim is set to "manual," and not "auto." Manual aiming gives you the opportunity to aim your shots. If the goalie is favoring one side of the net, you can aim the shot so that the puck is shot towards the open side of the net. Take the time to practice your shooting.

Don't Rush It

Just because you have got the puck and have made it into your opponent's zone, it doesn't mean you have to immediately shoot the puck. Take a look around. Do you have help coming? How is the goalie positioned? Set something up which leads to a high-percentage shot. You win by the number of goals made, not by the number of shots attempted.

Screens

Using other opponents to set up screens can be confusing to the goalie. Since you're being hidden for that split second, you can take a shot and the goalie may not even see it coming. Just be careful in your timing, or you'll just hit the puck off of your own guy.

Wrap Around

If you have managed to gain control of the puck behind the opponent's goal, try and make a sharp turn in the front of the net. The goalie will likely come to the near side of the net to protect it. Because of this, aim your wrist shot to the far side. Remember that to aim your shot, the shot aim must be set to "manual" in the game settings.

Fake 'em Out

Deke moves are intended to protect the puck from the defender and also fake them out. You can deke left or right in order to get past the defender and get to the goalie. Practice your dekes and watch youtube videos to learn some of the more advanced dekes.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb2L5r7tcUk]NHL 11 One-on-One Dekes Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Desperation

If you are leading late in a game, the opponent may put another man on offense and pull the goalie. When this happens, a message will appear on your screen. Keep an eye on this and take advantage of it when the occasion arises. Without a goalie to defend the net, it isn't very difficult to score.

Pull Back

If the defense is successful at swarming you, feel free to pull the puck out of there. Pass it towards the opposite end of the ice. You don't want to be knocked down and your goalie all on his own during a fastbreak rush. Pull back and re-group.

Defense

Don't Be Too Agressive

I'm not referring to body checks necessarily. This is more about general pursuit. It is very easy to over-pursue someone on the ice. This kind of mistake will often result in your opponent getting an easy shot at the goal.

Clog The Lanes

Putting your body between the puck handler and the goal means the opponent will find shot attempts to be difficult. You will be able to deflect a lot of shots if you can get in there.

The same sort of theory is true about passing lanes. If you can skate into the passing lanes, you can not only intercept passes, possibly leading to fast breaks, but it can also simply deflect passes. This will cause an offense to get out of sync and will frustrate them.

Get Down!

If you are out of position when an opponent is winding up for a slap-shot, dive in front of him. This dive will likely deflect the puck.

Poke Checks

Although you can play a man very close, you're always running the risk of over-pursuing him. A poke check causes the controlled player to poke at the hockey puck, with the intent of causing the puck handler to lose control of the puck. This isn't a very aggressive move, but it can work if you're positioned properly and are persistent.

Smash 'Em!

Poke checks may work well at times, but body checks are often the most effective. A well-timed, well-aimed body check can send a guy to the ice in a heartbeat. But, be careful. If you miss him, you will have to catch up to him and the rest of the play. A big hit can lead to exciting fast breaks, and who doesn't love fast breaks?!

Careful Passes

If you have managed to gain control of the puck near your own net, be careful of passing the puck around. Passes can be intercepted and deflected pretty easily down there because there tends to be a lot of guys grouped a few feet in front of the goal. Be patient and find the open man. Now isn't the time to help your opponent!

Clear!

If the offense is able to put a lot of pressure on your defense and is getting a lot of shots at the goal, try and deflect the pass. If at all possible, fling it down to the other side of the ice. It will give your team some time to regroup and will force the offense to do the same.

Edited by DborKnowsBest

:goodpost Really nice work.

As a hardcore EA hockey gamer sense NHL93 (go Habs) I think this is a really good thread for people who are new to these games.

The camera angle tip is very good and easily overlooked. I would say the number 1 rule for offense is LOTS OF PASSING!!!! When you get the hang of it with a good camera angle you basically control the entire game.

For defence remember to switch players instead of chasing the puck carrier. For example when a player gets by you DO NOT chase him. Simply switch to another player that is between him and your goalie. You always want to be between the puck carrier and your goalie.

It makes shots easier to block and cuts back on taking penalties from chasing.

:goodpost Really nice work.

As a hardcore EA hockey gamer sense NHL93 (go Habs) I think this is a really good thread for people who are new to these games.

The camera angle tip is very good and easily overlooked. I would say the number 1 rule for offense is LOTS OF PASSING!!!! When you get the hang of it with a good camera angle you basically control the entire game.

For defence remember to switch players instead of chasing the puck carrier. For example when a player gets by you DO NOT chase him. Simply switch to another player that is between him and your goalie. You always want to be between the puck carrier and your goalie.

It makes shots easier to block and cuts back on taking penalties from chasing.

Habs are looking good, Price is due for a big year this year. I still remember that shootout for the Canadian Juniors versus the states the kids got all star potential and has yet to play his best hockey in MTL

Habs are looking good, Price is due for a big year this year. I still remember that shootout for the Canadian Juniors versus the states the kids got all star potential and has yet to play his best hockey in MTL

I'm sorry but the Habs are not looking good. I know this is gonna sound bias as I'm a Leaf fan but the only way Habs have a shot at the playoffs is if Price plays 60-65 games and stands on his head. P.S thanks for Grabovski.

I'm sorry but the Habs are not looking good. I know this is gonna sound bias as I'm a Leaf fan but the only way Habs have a shot at the playoffs is if Price plays 60-65 games and stands on his head. P.S thanks for Grabovski.

:)That was coming from a Leafs/London Knights fan....if we had a tender even half as good as price we wouldn't be missing the playoffs again this year.

You mean like how he played 72 games last year and led the NHL in wins? I'm not too worried about Montreal. They always seem to make it to the dance.

Your welcome for Grabovski and Komisarek. They've made the Leafs so much better. To bad the last time they got to participate in the playoffs was when they were part of the Canadiens.

Reimer? Also, Leafs are making playoffs this year.

I bet you're excited then. Don't hold your breath though.

When was the last time you got to enjoy watching your Leafs in a playoff game?

Reimer? Also, Leafs are making playoffs this year.

Unless Burke can work his magic and make a ton of moves before the trade deadline leaf nation won't be seeing any post season action this year. I do like Reimer though he's got the potential of a Cory Schneider and that's always good in the salary cap era, you don't want to have an all star tender and have to pay him all star cash.

You mean like how he played 72 games last year and led the NHL in wins? I'm not too worried about Montreal. They always seem to make it to the dance.

Your welcome for Grabovski and Komisarek. They've made the Leafs so much better. To bad the last time they got to participate in the playoffs was when they were part of the Canadiens.

I bet you're excited then. Don't hold your breath though.

When was the last time you got to enjoy watching your Leafs in a playoff game?

How do I know he watches less than 5 leafs games a year? He just said thanks for komisarek.

How do I know he watches less than 5 leafs games a year? He just said thanks for komisarek.

I never said thanks for Komisarek. How do I know you don't two don't follow hockey? Komisarek was signed by the Leafs so even if he was good, why would I thanks the Habs?

I never said thanks for Komisarek. How do I know you don't two don't follow hockey? Komisarek was signed by the Leafs so even if he was good, why would I thanks the Habs?

Sorry I misread that, HabsCen10ial post got me confused when he said you're welcome for grabovski and Komiskarek. Grabovski (formerly known as garbageovski or garbo for short) has played pretty solid the past two campaigns but Komisarek is definitely a waste of cap space and ice time I would like to see him and Gunnarsson shipped out of toronto ASAP. And I could care less if you think I follow hockey lmao

Edited by DborKnowsBest

• 2 months later...

Ive been playing NHL since 2000. I didnt realize until I played online for the first time how much different the game play is. My biggest problem is getting checked off the puck. Ive tried protecting it while moving the stick, dekes, and flat out stopping. I very rarely beat anyone one on one. But everyone and their brother can just walk around me and straight to the net. I know i must be doing something wrong, and i do feel a little stupid asking, but maybe someone could "shoot" some puck control tips my way so I wouldnt have to rely on set plays and one timers and hope i can get an odd man rush. By the way, awesome info.

• 2 months later...
Ive been playing NHL since 2000. I didnt realize until I played online for the first time how much different the game play is.

I haven't been in to gaming since the mid 90's, and we are talking Sega Genesis era games there. I'm beyond amazed at how games have evolved. I'm a long time hockey fan, even played up to Junior B level. I believe I'm only playing one level up on NHL 12 from the easiest level, no problems scoring at all, my issue is playing defense. I seem to miss a lot of checks, but will try this great advice.

Regarding the comment on using a good camera angle, is there an angle that anyone prefers over the others?

Regarding the comment on using a good camera angle, is there an angle that anyone prefers over the others?

Try using "ice" or "overhead". Both will give you a birds eye view and make it easier to pass the puck.

This is very useful when playing "Be A Pro" mode.

Also if you prefer playing "up" as opposed to "up" in the first, "down" in the second, "up" in the third. There is an option to have the camera angle on "always up"

Edited by HabsCen10ial

Try using "ice" or "overhead". Both will give you a birds eye view and make it easier to pass the puck.

This is very useful when playing "Be A Pro" mode.

Also if you prefer playing "up" as opposed to "up" in the first, "down" in the second, "up" in the third. There is an option to have the camera angle on "always up"

Thank you!