Easily complete Aperture Science achievement

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Has Valve patched this glitch for the achievement? Cos ive tried it with least portals on chamber 13, it worked, but then when i returned to the level select screen all the extra challenges ie: least steps, least portals, advanced, had been removed.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Has Valve patched this glitch for the achievement? Cos ive tried it with least portals on chamber 13, it worked, but then when i returned to the level select screen all the extra challenges ie: least steps, least portals, advanced, had been removed.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Try here (was at the second page):

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=190903

The point is that when you start the game, do not load a level, but instead start a new game (level). As I experienced, you can load games without loosing your progress, the only important is that you start a new game (level) when you start the game for the first time.

• 2 months later...

Come on, guys, quit using cheats for this achievement. It's so much more rewarding to get all the golds legit. If I can do it, you can do it. It was a chore and it took about a gazillion tries, but I got all the golds legit. Best 40G I ever received. Just go on youtube and learn the strategies. None of the least portals ones are that bad, least steps is really hard on some chambers but really easy on others, and least time is pretty much hard all around, but none of it's impossible.

Come on, guys, quit using cheats for this achievement. It's so much more rewarding to get all the golds legit. If I can do it, you can do it. It was a chore and it took about a gazillion tries, but I got all the golds legit. Best 40G I ever received. Just go on youtube and learn the strategies. None of the least portals ones are that bad, least steps is really hard on some chambers but really easy on others, and least time is pretty much hard all around, but none of it's impossible.

I'll never understand these "legit" people.

This site is about achievements, with any and all ways of obtaining them including cheat codes, glitches, boosting, etc.

You earned your achievements legitimately, good for you.

Your reward is personal satisfaction and pride in doing so.

Just don't tell others how to play their videogames.

Don't forget to get your cookie reward at http://www.xbox360legitachievements.org

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 more gold medals to get: least time and least steps on Chamber 13. I used cheats on some chambers and did others legit. Anyone have any tips for the two gold challenges I have left? I have silver in steps and time. I'm willing to use the cheats if anyone has any good suggestions.

Once I get Apertature Science i'll only need Half-Life 2 for The Orange Box.

EDIT: Went back today and completed both least steps and least time in under 5 tries. I used the codes, I'm fine with that. I did what I could without and the rest with.

Edited by Braiiins

I can destroy any halo on legendary, and dragged 3 retarded bots through every single expert campaign in l4d2, but portal remains the hardest game I've ever played for achievements. Still, if I cheat it won't mean anything.

It looks fun to mess with when I'm bored though.

• 2 months later...

I cheated, every challenge every level. no shame. And anybody that says "come on do it legit" just know i had a huge smile on my face plowing through turrets with invincibility on and a box i spawned with another cheat code...girlfriend is happy this took one night and not....how long would this take legit? oh i dont care.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone realized Axe Argonian has been bad-mouthing people that use this method, yet he wrote the Roadmap for The Orange Box, and at the end he directs us to this thread for these Portal challenge Achievements?

That's one of the most ironic things I've ever seen lmao.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
According to the road map achievement guide, cheats will disable the achievements in Portal. Is that a typo or is that true?

Cheats will not disable the advanced map achievements but they will disable the bronze/silver/gold medal achievements. If you complete a level with cheats on the game will label you as a cheater.

However there is a way around that. If you use cheats save your game right before you go into the elevator at the end of the level. Start a new game, then reload your saved game and complete the level. The cheats will have been disabled and the game thinks you didn't cheat.

For me the cheats were only really helpful for the "fewest portals" challenge anyway.

• 1 month later...
Cheats will not disable the advanced map achievements but they will disable the bronze/silver/gold medal achievements. If you complete a level with cheats on the game will label you as a cheater.

However there is a way around that. If you use cheats save your game right before you go into the elevator at the end of the level. Start a new game, then reload your saved game and complete the level. The cheats will have been disabled and the game thinks you didn't cheat.

For me the cheats were only really helpful for the "fewest portals" challenge anyway.

Thanks for the tips dude!

• 1 month later...
I guess you didn't have the balls to do it honorably.

Why would you NOT try doing it the normal way? I eventually succeeded.

Lol, what's next? A quick way to get Brass Balls in BioShock? A button combination to get every Ally achievement in Mass Effect unlocked?

And what do you mean by disabling the colored buttons?

There IS a quick way to get it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-PRel7iB8

• 1 month later...

For the least steps challenge, has anyone tried the falling portal funnel method for test chamber 13? I think that new updates have made it so falling though a portal and landing on the ground, no matter how close to the ground falling up through a portal you are. I think they made it even harder to get gold on the steps challenges. I've done test chamber 13 so many times and I can't get less than 3 steps after I fall through the first floor portal and land. I think they definitely took away functionality with the ease of getting medals. The falling method I speak of is just trying to constantly fall to move through the map. Try using the cube cheat while falling to get them on switches. Save while in a good fall and fall up when trying to get more accurate cube placements on switches and then horizontal portal launch through the exit and save as you get into the room and then start new game to disable cheat mode and then reload your save. This idea is specific to chamber 13 for the least steps challenge. I think it could work. Anyone have feedback about it? I want to see if it works, if I can't just attempt to do it myself. I think the community would act on this fast than I could pull it off.

Actually, the curiosity got the best of me and I just did it in 10 steps. I just reloaded a point where I was in the end room with 7 steps used and used portals to assist me through the gate. Used the funnel method to gain speed so I would hit the ceiling of the already short room and blind fired a portal right in front of the item disintegrator so I would be going up and down through both portals for accuracy. ( took a few tries) once you start going up and down, try to face the elevator through the closest portal to it and when you come up through that portal, make sure you're as close to the edge of the portal without landing back on the ground as possible. Once you get in position as close to the elevator as you can be (note I am at 7 steps still) push forward as you're coming up through the correct portal (make sure you save as a safeguard) and take 1.5 steps and it should let you jump into the elevator so you don't take 4 steps. That's a way to get 10, if you're at 7 already and you don't think you can make it with that much. It took me 15 minutes to figure this out. Not that hard. Gold time challenges are going to be a problem though.