FAQ: Look here before posting!

T0b3

DEAD ISLAND

FAQ

Please read!

Alright, since there are many threads with the same questions over and over again, I though it'd be helpful to have a FAQ available to keep the forum nice and clean. Note that this is still a WIP so don't expect to find the answer to your question immediately. If you happen to have an issue, please let me know here so we can help you and include it in the FAQs to help other people who might stumple upon it later.

Thanks.

Index of contents

I. Achievements/General

II. Leveling/Duplicating

III. Weapons/Items

IV. Known issues

I. Achievements/General

1. I have 72 of 72 locations, what can I do?

The update simply adds one location to the counter. If you already explored everything and had 71/72 prior to the update, you can't unlock the achievement and you will have to wait for an update

2. How about that method which resets all of your progress?

There is a confirmed method which allows you to reset all of your stats, making it possible for you to gain the achievement again. You can find a how-to HERE. Please note that this method will erase ALL of your achievement progesses, so please use it only after finishing off every other achievement.

It is also woth mentioning that it doesn't delete any of your inventory, story progess, etc. Just the achievement progresses.

3. I have found a bunker on the Tomb map, enclosed by rocks - how do I get there and is that the last location?

No, it is not even an officially reachable area. You can only get to it by glitching yourself through some rocks at the waterfall. The bunker itself is empty and seems to be left by the developers without any purpose.

4. I have found multiple switches on the Tomb map, what is their purpose?

It appears like they somehow activate a statue. You can find more about that HERE.

5. I can't seem to unlock the Catch! achievement, is it glitched?

No. Other than "There and back again" there are no glitched achievements in this game. Keep in mind that you have to kill the Infected only using the grenade blast - you might void yourself of this achievement when you kick or attack him by any other means first.

6. I forgot to pick up a collectible from a now locked up location. How can I reach it?

Join a coop game where that certain location hasn't been reached yet.

7. When I start a new game after completing it, what does the New Game+ include?

You will keep ALL your inventory (Weapons, items, mods) as well as your level, experience and skills. You will also keep all your achievement progresses and the map will still be as revealed as it was at the end of your first playthrough. The only thing that'll happen is that the quests will

be reset, which means that you have to do those over again. You can NOT fast travel outside of the resort before completing the first Act again.

8. Right 4 Life didn't unlock even though I completed the first Act with all 4 characters!

This achievement is glitchy. I did all characters in one session, one of them being with which I had to complete it twice since the game didn't track the first time I played through it. To be sure that you will receive your achievement, do it in one session.

9. How do I manually save?

There is no manual save option. You need to reach a checkpoint first. There are plenty of those while doing quests and the game also saves automatically every few minutes. However, if you just picked up a good weapon for example you can just quit to the main menu. Your inventory is always being saved when doing so.

10. When is the point of no return?

You will know when a prompt appears on-screen.

11. Is there a chapter select and how do I access it?

After beating a chapter, do as if you'd start a new game with the same character. You will notice that under "New Game" a new list appears which allows you to start from Chapter X.

12. I started from that chapter but all of my inventory is gone! What do I do?

Unfortunately, it IS a new game. Nothing carries over from your current saved game.

13. Is there a notable location for farming weapons for Rootin' Tootin' Lootin'?

Yes, there are quite a few useful routes you can take. And methods which differ in the way how you'll play.

1) You can fast travel between the Jungle (River Village+Overpass Camp) and the Bunker #02 for 8 chests.

2) You could also start at the Lifeguard Tower and work your way north, checking all the shacks on the right of the map. You can find up to 18 chests this way. I personally got 3 weapons alone from there, 2 within a few seconds.

II. Leveling/Duplicating

1. What is the best method to level up/gain money/weapons?

Other than power leveling by joining a game with a higher level or doing quests over and over, you can also check out multiple methods which allow you to rise faster in the ranks:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=328982

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=328646

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=328950

2. How much XP do I need to reach rank 50?

Exactly 3,008,316.

3. Can I, at one point in the game, undo all of my skills to try a new way?

Unfortunately, you can't reskill your character at this time.

4. Skill points guide

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=360398

III. Weapons/Items

1. I have found a skull. What is its purpose?

You can read about them HERE.

2. There are locked chests, how can I open them?

Every character has a lockpick skill included in the skill tree. You need to use your skill points when leveling up to unlock those skills.

3. Do Level 2/3 chests contain better items?

Yes. You have a higher chance of receiving blue or purple items. The chance of getting a Legendary (orange) items stays the same though.

4. Can I better my chances of getting a Legendary item?

Yes. You need to play with Purna and level her "Jackpot" skill. You can level this skill up to 15%.

5. Where can I find Weapon X or Mod X?

See THIS thread.

6. I have found a Gun Store in Moresby City. How can I get in?

You won't have access to that store until very late in the game. See a video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmO4_MjaJg&feature]HERE.[/ame]

7. How can I heal myself other than medkits?

The only source of health other than those are snacks and drinks.

8. Is there a collectible guide?

Yes, you can find it HERE.

9. I need a spade for a quest! Where can I find one?

Spades are scattered throughout the game. You can easily grab one in front of the house with the fast travel map inside in the Jungle (River Village) or outside the mechanic's shack in the top-left Resort area.

IV. Known issues

1. My game froze up while loading my save game! Now it's corrupt! Can I fix this?

Unfortunately, there is no known fix for this. And to make things worse, it is very unlikely that an upcoming patch will fix your savegame. Doing everything over again seems to be inevitable.

2. I died and respawned in a completely different area / an area without an exit, what do I do?

Join an online coop game. Leave the area and drop out. The next time you reload your game, you will be spawning in the correct arra.

3. The game always resets all of my stats and achievement progresses after quitting!

Move your save to an USB drive or Memory Unit, that'll fix it.

4. I gain no XP from quests!

Again, use a portable save device instead of the hard drive.

5. This quest WILL NOT be written down in your profile! appears on screen!

Just load your last checkpoint and you can carry on.

6. Everyone in the Lab is gone!

Quit your game and start it up again. Everyone should be there now.

7. They are still gone!

Then you are in the Lab the second time and there is no way to complete the side quests, even if the ! symbols are still appearing on the map.

Edited by Hayden

Skull thread - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=328496

Weapons/mods list - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=328112

Excellent work T0b3. There's a few games that have some great contributions from certain people over and over and a thread like this that also contained a collection of links to the good ones means the number of stickies required could be kept to a minimum. Provided the faq thread is also stickied of course :D

5. I can't seem to unlock the Catch! achievement, is it glitched?

No. Other than "There and back again" there are no glitched achievements in this game. Keep in mind that you have to kill the Infected only using the grenade blast - you will void yourself of this achievement when you kick or attack him by any other means first.

Hitting/kicking the infected before killing them with the grenade blast does not void you of the achievement. I kicked and sliced an infected down to the ground and then blew him up with a grenade and it popped. Did the same for a friend who got it as well.

FAQ is looking good though. Thanks for taking the time to make one.

Edited by StolenPaper18

Might as well put in:

XX. Is there a Chapter-Select & how do I access it!?

Yes there is. You can only chapter-select as far as you have played with a character. From the start-screen go to PLAY, choose NEW GAME, select preferred CHARACTER and it should give the option FROM CHAPTER...!

Note: If you start from a chapter you will get a fixed character, e.g. FROM CHAPTER IV, you start with Level 11, one edged + one blunt weapon & one medi-kit, you will also have to redo the Lighthouse-Fast-Travel.

Other than that nice FAQ. :)

Hitting/kicking the infected before killing them with the grenade blast does not void you of the achievement. I kicked and sliced an infected down to the ground and then blew him up with a grenade and it popped. Did the same for a friend who got it as well.

FAQ is looking good though. Thanks for taking the time to make one.

I've heard from many people that they void themselves from that achievement by kicking/hitting the zombies first. However, since it worked for you I thought the best option is to replace the word "will" with "might".

Might as well put in:

XX. Is there a Chapter-Select & how do I access it!?

Yes there is. You can only chapter-select as far as you have played with a character. From the start-screen go to PLAY, choose NEW GAME, select preferred CHARACTER and it should give the option FROM CHAPTER...!

Note: If you start from a chapter you will get a fixed character, e.g. FROM CHAPTER IV, you start with Level 11, one edged + one blunt weapon & one medi-kit, you will also have to redo the Lighthouse-Fast-Travel.

Other than that nice FAQ. :)

Great idea, it has been added. Thank you.

Do you push or do you HOLD X.. ?

Well I hold X, obviously, but when the blue screen turned black (with white words on it), nothing else happen. What happen to yours, since you know what it suppose to be done.

There is also other quest in Police Station that seem to be "glitch". The mission is given by one of the abandon house person. I have to found Bill - dead in one of the jail cell - but can't do anything when I'm there. No pressing X, or no quest update. Nothing.

Anyone else having any luck with quests that involve - side quests, by the way - Police Station??

Well I hold X, obviously, but when the blue screen turned black (with white words on it), nothing else happen. What happen to yours, since you know what it suppose to be done.

There is also other quest in Police Station that seem to be "glitch". The mission is given by one of the abandon house person. I have to found Bill - dead in one of the jail cell - but can't do anything when I'm there. No pressing X, or no quest update. Nothing.

Anyone else having any luck with quests that involve - side quests, by the way - Police Station??

Don't you just hack multiple computers in the hotel? I can't recall to have done it elsewhere.

That is no glitch. I can remember having the same issue but then I've heard someone talking on a radio. And after he was done talking, the quest updated itself.

There's a radio lying near his body (can be really hard to see it), you have to hit x on it and talk to the guy who gave you the quest. I had no trouble with the other sidequests involving the police station.

Don't you just hack multiple computers in the hotel? I can't recall to have done it elsewhere.

[....]

Hotel?? Wait, no I'm lost. I was talking about Police Station in the city. Did I misunderstood something?

There's a radio lying near his body (can be really hard to see it), you have to hit x on it and talk to the guy who gave you the quest. I had no trouble with the other sidequests involving the police station.

I saw the radio in front of his stomach.... will the "hold X" (or press "X") be on display to let me know when I can grab it? I tried to move around to get "X" on display so I can grab it, however it was unsuccessful.

Hotel?? Wait, no I'm lost. I was talking about Police Station in the city. Did I misunderstood something?

Hm. Now that you say it, there was a hackable computer in the Police Station. It was in the chief's office, right? And you are not able to hack it? That's weird.

I saw the radio in front of his stomach.... will the "hold X" (or press "X") be on display to let me know when I can grab it? I tried to move around to get "X" on display so I can grab it, however it was unsuccessful.

Seems like you need to activate it, yes. It's been a while since I last did that quest so I'm sorry that I can't be of any further help.

Yeah, it's tricky, I had to crouch down right on top of it to get the X to show up, I believe it's just a "press X" so you could also just try spamming X in that general area and see if it works.

Hm. Now that you say it, there was a hackable computer in the Police Station. It was in the chief's office, right? And you are not able to hack it? That's weird.

[....]

It's hackable, but the problem is nothing happen after. You can "hack" again after hacking it first time, but nothing happens (other than the color of monitor screen of the computer changed).

Yeah, it's tricky, I had to crouch down right on top of it to get the X to show up, I believe it's just a "press X" so you could also just try spamming X in that general area and see if it works.

Alright, I'll have to try this out tomorrow after I wake up. Thank you for the tips.

It's hackable, but the problem is nothing happen after. You can "hack" again after hacking it first time, but nothing happens (other than the color of monitor screen of the computer changed).

Alright, I'll have to try this out tomorrow after I wake up. Thank you for the tips.

The hackable pc screen has nothing to do with the quest at hand. You are actually looking for something called "Tim's Files" if I remember correctly, and I believe they are simply in the next room over. They are a simple "Press X Once to grab" item, and the quest updates as soon as you pick it up. I remember all of this only because I remember how misleading it was to have that computer here.

In short, you are looking for actual paper files, not computer files. You're welcome! =]

The hackable pc screen has nothing to do with the quest at hand. You are actually looking for something called "Tim's Files" if I remember correctly, and I believe they are simply in the next room over. They are a simple "Press X Once to grab" item, and the quest updates as soon as you pick it up. I remember all of this only because I remember how misleading it was to have that computer here.

In short, you are looking for actual paper files, not computer files. You're welcome! =]

I been looking around the entire station, first and 2nd floor to see if anything else was "grab able", but couldn't find any. But, now that someone had confirm, I will look harder. Thank you for your confirmation!! :)

9. How do I manually save?

There is no manual save option. You need to reach a checkpoint first. There are plenty of those while doing quests and the game also saves automatically every few minutes. However, if you just picked up a good weapon for example you can just quit to the main menu. Your inventory is always being saved when doing so.

Not true. At any point you can complete a manual save by going into the options menu and changing any of your controls. Once you return to the game it will save. Naturally, you need to undo your controller change to get it back to your default, but the game will be saved.

Not true. At any point you can complete a manual save by going into the options menu and changing any of your controls. Once you return to the game it will save. Naturally, you need to undo your controller change to get it back to your default, but the game will be saved.

Nope, it only saves your newly changed settings, not the actual game status.