Nightmare difficulty.....

mockxxsniperxx

• 5 weeks later...
I'm one chapter away from finishing Nightmare, but one thing that works well for me is "flashing" the Taken with your light. Aim your light at them, and give your left trigger a quick pull and release, almost a tap. The bright flash will cause them to recoil and draw back a bit, covering their eyes. Use that as an opportunity to run for a bit. When they get close, do it again. The flash will also stop Taken who are about to throw something. With practice, you can use quick flashes to whittle down single or small groups of Taken without using up any batteries.

Dodge when the attack is starting. If they haven't started to attack, the dodge won't work. If you've sprinted or dodged too recently, it won't work either; I think there's an inherent lag to the process. You can't go straight from a sprint to a dodge, or at least I can't. Stop running for a second or two, flashing the Taken to slow them down if you need to. Then, dodge away.

Thanks for the tipps!!

I wonder... when I beat Nightmare , will I gain the achievement for Hard at the same time?? In some games it works like that, that's why I dare to ask...

Thanks for the tipps!!

I wonder... when I beat Nightmare , will I gain the achievement for Hard at the same time?? In some games it works like that, that's why I dare to ask...

i love alan wake great idea and story for a game, was a long time since i finished so cant be positive on getting the hard achievement

most games do allow you to gain lesser achievements when played on a harder difficulty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of playing this on nightmare. FInished it on hard, which was quite not so hard as I thought. There are some tricky spots that worries me: defending Barry while he is fixing the lights and the early part in the game where you have no gun, just torches, because the kidnapper won't give you one. Those might get me in trouble.

Thought of collecting the nightmare pages also, and if I die during getting a page, do I still have the page when I restart from a checkpoint?

The only thing in Nightmare that was a pain was the limited amount of ammo. Having to shoot the n00b guys 3 times was a pain but if you master dodging you'll have no problems. Wherever possible I dodged my way to the next street light.

Stages such as after the Garden Maze (Ep 4) & the Ghost Town (Ep 6) were the trickiest for me only because of the sheer number of enemies but I was being way too conservative with my ammo then I should have been.

GL. Really if you managed to get through Hard, Nightmare should be no problem.

Just done episode 2 on nightmare and tbh im not finding it very difficult. My suggestion would to just simply run run run. I've finished both episodes with loads of ammo.

If you are having toruble when running away, every now again turn around and blast the taken with your torch, this will deter them for a short while and should give you a bit extra time.

• 4 weeks later...

ok ive got to the ghost bridge in episode 6 without too much trouble but the tractor thing at the the end of the bridge just wont die, the worst thing is you have to start at the start of the bridge if you die and everytime get to the tractor i end up falling down because the i dodge the arm but the it breaks one of the floor panels, ive looked at videos on how to do it but when i do the same i just cannot do it, is there an easier way thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
aNYONE GOT ANY TIPS??

Know which battles are scripted and which are timed. If they're time based, it tends to be better just to hold them back instead of killing them, since they'll just respawn in similar or higher numbers. Only kill what you have to there. A good example of this is earlier in the game when Barry needs to unlock a door for you, but he's fumbling and excited about finding a quarter while you're being murdered. You just have to hold them off.

Stun them, run till you nearly can't anymore, turn around and stun them again, and repeat. They catch up? Flare and continue the pattern. Also, when you start to get winded and you're forced to stop and breathe after running, JUMP! You won't have to pause if you jump right as you begin to slow down.

Guides here recommend saving flaregun ammo and only using it for three enemies+, but doing it that way tends to have you lose all that ammo, because you complete the episodes without ever touching them.

Use the areas to your advantage. One of the older posts in this topic mentions having difficulty with the crane on nightmare, but you can defeat it without it touching you if you just hide behind the terrain.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i just did this yesterday and it was nowhere near as hard as i expected it to be, it pretty much requires you to run like hell in alot of situations because of the lack of ammo.

imo the infinite respawning enemies in the dlc on normal were alot more annoying and frustrating than the main game on nightmare, since i try to kill everything before i move on :)

Edited by freelance1986

• 11 months later...

I thought the holdout section with the kidnapper would be a pain on Nightmare, but I really didn't have much trouble. The very hardest part of the game, in my opinion, was at the end of chapter 4, waiting for Barry to stop fucking around and open the gate. Everything else is eminently doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Only part I remember being quite a bit harder on Nightmare for me was getting past the mini-boss on that first bridge in Episode 6.

imo the infinite respawning enemies in the dlc on normal were alot more annoying and frustrating than the main game on nightmare, since i try to kill everything before i move on :)

I agree. I think it's only the first DLC (The Signal) that has infinite enemy respawn areas, the second (The Writer) doesn't have any that I recall. And I enjoyed both DLCs, but yeah I didn't like ALWAYS having to run in 'The Signal'.

• 7 years later...