Not a very good game as people claimed

haloWARpower5

I'm just curious on what you guys think. Obviously a majority of the players regards it one of the best game this year (lol, seriously? Is it because of the disappointing gaming year back in 2012 and you guys lowered your standards?):confused:

The gameplay differ so much from the demo to the point I think I could say it is a complete different game.

There is so much unsatisfying problems I had with this one like the fact that you can only hold 2 weapons which led me to wonder why the hell would I want to upgrade those weapons in a first place? Back in Bioshock, I have a full arsenal of weapons that allows me to plan a careful course of action to engage enemy but in Infinite I just find myself playing the game like call of duty but with plasmid. No more ammo? Take the gun from the guy I just killed and spam all the bullets.

In Bioshock I specifically hunt and explore the beautifully crafted environment (which I had to admit, the floating city of Colombia is beautiful as well) of Rapture to find upgrade station to make my weapons more awesome. I just walk through the levels in Infinite and don't have the motive to explore (I actually forced myself to explore so I can find the recordings and it was very tiring).

The skyline is just another useless gimmick to the game (although I admit is very awesome and cool at first glance). Halfway through the game you will realized it is nothing worth mentioning which I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.

The lack of new game + just add another fail to this game. Lets be honest to ourselves, what happen after you played 1999 mode? That's right, you just throw the game away and play other games (until an overpriced dlc for Infinite is released). In Bioshock, you will play the game again and again to try out different tactics and gene tonic combination and the gears in Infinite has some useless abilities that is not even worth your time to hunt for it (like Grants brief invulnerability when gaining health from snacks and health kits. Last time I remember playing I did not and will not eat snack during battles)

I really don't see how this is a 9/10 or 10/10 like so many reviewers and players claimed. I thought 9 and above caliber games is like San Andreas, Red Dead Redemption, Arkham City etc? Maybe I'm a idiot and "just doesn't get it" can anyone tell me am I the only one and why you guys say this could be game of the year?

Note: Infinite is no where close to a bad game, in fact I enjoyed it. The story is really amazing (I always like movies like Loopers etc.). The Script and dialogue among characters is good. But it is just the gameplay (which is the most important part of a game) that is not within my expectation. Maybe I'm comparing it too much with Bioshock but who wouldn't? It is called Bioshock Infinte. A solid 7/10 game for sure and I guess you can only pull off a System Shock and Rapture once.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note: Infinite is no where close to a bad game, in fact I enjoyed it. The story is really amazing (I always like movies like Loopers etc.). The Script and dialogue among characters is good. But it is just the gameplay (which is the most important part of a game) that is not within my expectation. Maybe I'm comparing it too much with Bioshock but who wouldn't? It is called Bioshock Infinte. A solid 7/10 game for sure and I guess you can only pull off a System Shock and Rapture once.

This is one of the most bipolar threads ever.

You spend 4+ paragraphs bashing the game and asking "why does everyone think it's so great? It has so many disappointing things to it. It's basically call of duty. It's major new game element is a gimmick. It's nowhere near GOTY."

Only to blindside us with "Oh by the way it's actually not close to as bad as I just said it was, it's actually amazing."

I can't tell if this is the best thread ever or a collosal waste of time. Which in and of itself is awesome I guess.

I'm just curious on what you guys think. Obviously a majority of the players regards it one of the best game this year (lol, seriously? Is it because of the disappointing gaming year back in 2012 and you guys lowered your standards?):confused:

The gameplay differ so much from the demo to the point I think I could say it is a complete different game.

There is so much unsatisfying problems I had with this one like the fact that you can only hold 2 weapons which led me to wonder why the hell would I want to upgrade those weapons in a first place? Back in Bioshock, I have a full arsenal of weapons that allows me to plan a careful course of action to engage enemy but in Infinite I just find myself playing the game like call of duty but with plasmid. No more ammo? Take the gun from the guy I just killed and spam all the bullets.

In Bioshock I specifically hunt and explore the beautifully crafted environment (which I had to admit, the floating city of Colombia is beautiful as well) of Rapture to find upgrade station to make my weapons more awesome. I just walk through the levels in Infinite and don't have the motive to explore (I actually forced myself to explore so I can find the recordings and it was very tiring).

The skyline is just another useless gimmick to the game (although I admit is very awesome and cool at first glance). Halfway through the game you will realized it is nothing worth mentioning which I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.

The lack of new game + just add another fail to this game. Lets be honest to ourselves, what happen after you played 1999 mode? That's right, you just throw the game away and play other games (until an overpriced dlc for Infinite is released). In Bioshock, you will play the game again and again to try out different tactics and gene tonic combination and the gears in Infinite has some useless abilities that is not even worth your time to hunt for it (like Grants brief invulnerability when gaining health from snacks and health kits. Last time I remember playing I did not and will not eat snack during battles)

I really don't see how this is a 9/10 or 10/10 like so many reviewers and players claimed. I thought 9 and above caliber games is like San Andreas, Red Dead Redemption, Arkham City etc? Maybe I'm a idiot and "just doesn't get it" can anyone tell me am I the only one and why you guys say this could be game of the year?

Cool story bro. Please never use the computer again. I mean how can anything you every type again, be as good as this masterpiece!!

At the end of the day it is all subjective. Storywise this is one of the greatest games I've ever played and the atmosphere is perfect. Gameplay is not the greatest at times but that is not the main point of the game it is the story-telling.

I liked some of the new vigours and the sky-rail system but sometimes the shooting mechanics weren't as crisp as I'd like. Most shooters these days have four hour long campaigns and a rather crap multi-player this one has a 15 hour approximate campaign length.

I think Bioshock [1] is one of maybe the best 20 games ever made to date.

I think Bioshock Infinite is mediocre-to-terrible. The combat is still fun and the graphics are decent; but on the flip-side, most of the game you're not fighting anything, it's extremely linear, half the vigors are useless, and I only encountered 3 handymen in my 1999 play-through (haven't played it on other difficulties yet). There's also no penalty for dying with no money on 1999 mode, you just go back to the last checkpoint.. barely even a penalty.

I think this game is worse than Bioshock 2, even. The story is terrible, the choices seem to have zero effect, and it's really just a generic shooter at the core. And before you get started on quantum/multiverse theories, just stop. I like sci-fi, but this story is awful and makes no sense no matter how many Stephen Hawking books you read.

Oh, and did I mention how stupid it is that the Season Pass gimps your game by giving you 5 upgrades out of the gate? Yes, that is the ultimate in bad game design... pay to win... on day one... in a single player game.

Personally I give the game like a 6/10 at best, maybe 5/10. I wouldn't advise buying for anymore than $20 because that's about the amount of content inside the box compared to other games.

Edited by The Nerevarine

I am not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. The first Bioshock is still easily the best. The environment and tone are way different, kinda ruining Infinite for me. Feels pretty average to me. Take out the Bioshock name and this would not be a hit.

I should have bought tomb raider or the new gears.

At the end of the day it is all subjective. Storywise this is one of the greatest games I've ever played and the atmosphere is perfect. Gameplay is not the greatest at times but that is not the main point of the game it is the story-telling.

I liked some of the new vigours and the sky-rail system but sometimes the shooting mechanics weren't as crisp as I'd like. Most shooters these days have four hour long campaigns and a rather crap multi-player this one has a 15 hour approximate campaign length.

This mostly.

I have a rather lengthy topic going about expectations of the game and how they really weren't met. Some people agreed and some people jumped ship and said that I was crazy, but it is indeed subjective:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=436536

Beware of SPOILERS!

This is a surprising complaint given your username has Halo in it. The 2-weapon system is a design choice that is meant to make people strategize and plan ahead. If you don't have every gun at your disposal, than you want to plan ahead on what weapons to bring.

This seems like a personal problem to me. I don't see any difference between exploring Rapture or Colombia. If anything, I was personally more inclined to explore Colombia because it was bright, alive, and there were always interesting things to look at whereas Rapture generally had water, destruction, and just another Splicer jumping out at me (although I will admit it was cool how taking too long in one area would result in additional Splicers coming along. That and the active, but optional Big Daddy encounters made Rapture seem more alive in itself.

I do agree that the Skyline could've been more involved. I would've liked having multiple skylines to hop back and forth on, but I by no means thought it was a bad addition to the game. I had tons of fun hopping in the skylines and getting height advantages on top of buildings and gunning people down while flying full speed down a rail. I enjoyed all of the rail bits up until the Zeppelin at the end. There wasn't much purpose for those unfortunately.

I don't remember New Game+ ever being prominent in most of the games I play. Outside of RPG like Mass Effect, I don't think any game I've ever played has included a NG+ feature. While it would obviously be nice to have all the vigors from the get-go, this isn't a game killer by any means. Plus a few of the instances like getting the Shock Jockey vigor would break the game.

Because this is a game with solid gameplay, an excellent soundtrack, an amazing and thought provoking storyline, lush graphics, lengthy campaign, a plethora of collectibles to find, and a gorgeous setting. That sounds like an easy 9/10 to me. Besides, if you're going off with the standards of garbage like San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption being a 9/10, than this game is definitely deserving of a 9 or higher. San Andreas was an enormous world where half of it was empty desert and empty forest. Red Dead Redemption was Texas (Desert) or Mexico (Desert.)

Edited by DarkReign2021

I'm in shock.

Matter of Opinion. I thought it was the worst GTA in the series (not including China Town Wars and the Gameboy ones.) As far as GTA 1, 2, 3 , LCS, VCS, SA, 4, and the two GTA4 exapansions go, San Andreas was the least enjoyable experience I've had yet. The world was boring, the storyline was retarded, the main character was crap, the support cast was worse, I didn't enjoy the radio stations as much, there were too many unnecessary and worthless features. Plus the campaign just didn't feel like GTA.

I disliked how they took out some of the things. Like Liz using vigor's to combine with yours, fighting songbird himself, fighting other larger stronger guys. All that would have made this game significantly more fun. but all in all it wasn't a bad game, it simply wasn't as good as the origonal concept for it was.

I don't think it deserves the ridiculous amount of praise it's receiving but it is a great game, the best game this year yes, but perfect it is not, if you can think of a way to improve it then it is not perfect and I can think of a few ways it could be changed to make it better to me, so to it is not perfect.

But after all opinions are just opinions and carry no actual weight.

Matter of Opinion. I thought it was the worst GTA in the series (not including China Town Wars and the Gameboy ones.) As far as GTA 1, 2, 3 , LCS, VCS, SA, 4, and the two GTA4 exapansions go, San Andreas was the least enjoyable experience I've had yet. The world was boring, the storyline was retarded, the main character was crap, the support cast was worse, I didn't enjoy the radio stations as much, there were too many unnecessary and worthless features. Plus the campaign just didn't feel like GTA.

Can't argue with your opinion. Loved it personally.

2012 was not a disappointing gaming year.

Back inBioShock. Yes, back in the older game. New methods are used in later games in the series. It happens. They want you to adapt to your weapons of choice, though nothing stops you from switching your weapons out for others in the environment. Call of Duty plays like any other shooter, and so does BioShock, only you have a more imaginative approach to a situation with your vigors (they aren't plasmids... Did you even play this game?).

This is your own issue, not an issue with the game. I found BioShock 1 to have very similar environments and much prefer the variety and colourful areas of Columbia to the claustrophobic and drab areas of Rapture.

I used the sky-lines quite often, as they allowed me to swing around to get the drop on a Handyman or a group of enemies. I don't think being given an extra tool to use during your attacks and not being forced to use it is a gimmick.

I must have forgotten that BioShock 1 had a New Game+ option. Oh wait... You played BioShock 1 again because you enjoyed it, not because of a NG+ benefit. Many would do the same, and will do for BioShock Infinite. It isn't the games fault if you finish it and leave it. I love all BioShock games but I'm not the kind of gamer to go back through again, as I have tons of other games to get through. I get a huge amount of enjoyment from my first playthrough, and any subsequent ones due to achievement hunting

You're a child, aren't you? I know you left CoD and Halo out deliberately, but you are just a child, it's so clear. You haven't taken in to account everything else that makes this game a worthy piece of entertainment, such as the story, the setting, the connection between Booker and Elizabeth, the graphics, audio, etc. The gameplay is as good as it has always been, but now they've out done themselves.

You're about as good a reviewer as IGN. The gameplay is very similar to the first game, and has improved if anything. This game met my expectations and many others, so it can't have done bad. Personally, I think you're being the guy who has to hate on the popular stuff, and as a kid that makes you feel powerful. When you get older and learn a few things, your tune will change. Go back to BioShock 1 if you like, it isn't dating too well and amazing as it was back then, Infinite has blew it sky high.

Reponses are in bold.

This makes no sense. BioShock Infinite is a video game and a game, of any kind, is to be played; this is by definition of the term "game".

To say that the "main point" of the game is to tell a narrative is an error. The main point of the game is to play it. Narrative should not come before the gameplay. If you want the focus to be on story, write a book or make a movie.

I also agree with the OP that the gameplay is lacking and needed some more attention. Great story, but the actual mechanics bring the experience down and this is more important to a "game" than the story is.

This makes no sense. BioShock Infinite is a video game and a game, of any kind, is to be played; this is by definition of the term "game".

To say that the "main point" of the game is to tell a narrative is an error. The main point of the game is to play it. Narrative should not come before the gameplay. If you want the focus to be on story, write a book or make a movie.

I also agree with the OP that the gameplay is lacking and needed some more attention. Great story, but the actual mechanics bring the experience down and this is more important to a "game" than the story is.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg

I think Bioshock: Infinite is one of the shittiest experiences I had this console generation. The audio makes my ears bleed, the guns sound like someone's rattling rocks in a tin can, enemies constantly approach me while I'm trying to avert my eyes from the terrible graphics and they keep killing me because I can't watch the screen OMG the graphics are so bad what is this horseshit I am not playing Nintendo 64 here I am playing my Xbox 360 and I demand my $60 worth I payed for this trash game. This game should have used the graphics engine that Call of Duty uses, then it would be so much better. Get rid of all the guns and let me use modern weapons, and I don't want to use magic force electricity from Star Wars that's so stupid lmao wow this game is so bad the plasmids or whatever are so bad like why does the guy you play as have to sound like he's having an orgasm whenever he picks up a new one? Wow and the story was really bad, My Horse and Me 2 has a better ending than this.

Bioshock Infinite gets a 0.1/10 from me

[spoiler=lulz]April Fool's.