Achievement Guide + Road Map

VinasErgoth

http://i50.tinypic.com/eit9om.png

- Estimated Achievement Difficulty: 4/10

- Offline Achievements: 12 (200:gsicon:)

- Online Achievements: 0 (0:gsicon:)

- Approximate time to achieve 200:gsicon: : 7-10 Hours depending on difficulty.

- Minimum playthroughs required: 2 (Campaign & Campaign+)

- Missable Achievements : None.

- Glitched Achievements : None.

- Achievements disabled by cheats: No cheats.

- Does difficulty affect unlocking achievements: No.

Overview

Toy Soldiers is a new and interesting twist on the tower defence genre. Based around World War I, you're given two campaigns to play. One as the British, the other as the Germans. These campaigns are like most tower defence games, in where you have to defend an object from the opposing sides forces. However, you can take control of your towers and manually fire them for extra cash bonuses. On top of the two campaigns, the game also sports a Survivor mode and competitve multiplayer (local and Xbox Live).

Step 1

You should play the campaign on casual. I suggest you do the tutorial to familiarize yourself with the controls, and also pick up the "Fire in the Hole" achievement. As you progress through the campaign you will unlock "Jumped the Bags", "Old Contemptible", "Flying Pig", "Old Sweat" and, assuming you finish a level with no enemies reaching your toy box, "Foot Slogger". When you finish the campaign, you'll unlock "Coffin Nails" and assuming you got General rank on every level, "Sweet Fancy Adams" too.

Step 2

Before starting campaign+, I suggest completing some of the easier achievements. Load up local multiplayer, win against yourself on all maps and unlock "Pickled Monkey". Complete the first level on elite difficulty for "Throw a Seven", and finally survive 5 rounds on the Survivor game mode to unlock "Pip, Squeak & Wilfred".

Step 3

Now you've done all that, your final achievement to get is "Brass Hat". This one can be a little bit tedious because the ration tickets are a little harder to get when playing through campaign+. Follow the guide if you're having trouble with any of the ration tickets.

Overall, Toy Soldiers is a simple 200:gsicon:, with one or two time consuming achievements. Definately one for fans and newcomers to the genre.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/+n0z7g==.jpg Jumped the Bags (10:gsicon:)

Complete Level 1

After completing the tutorial, you will be thrust into the first level. There's nothing special about this achievement, just complete the level.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/+bzCyA==.jpg Old Contemptible (20:gsicon:)

Defeat Tsar Tank

During level 3 (Nonne Bosschen Wood) you will come across the Tsar Tank near the end of the level. Have as many Howitzer guns you can shooting at it and it will go down hopefully before it reaches your toy box. The Tsar Tank will occasionally drop off a group of infantry.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-B4pMQ==.jpg Flying Pig (20:gsicon:)

Defeat Zeppelin

During level 6 (Fort Douaumont) the Zeppelin will show up toward the later part of the level. Have a Pom-Pom tower on the north side of your base, preferably upgraded to an Old Quick Flak. When the Zeppelin arrives, it will appear from behind the level on the left side and proceed to fly around the edge of the map. Keep shooting it with your Flak, shooting off it's propellers for extra money.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-f7Rog==.jpg Old Sweat (20:gsicon:)

Defeat Uber Tank

During level 9 (Battle of the Ancre), at the very end you will come up against the massive Uber Tank. To take it down as quick as possible, replace all anti-infantry towers you have with mortars and upgrade them. Note that the Uber tank can and will crush some of your towers occasionally, aswell as drop out some smaller tanks. Rebuild as needed, but spend the rest of your time shooting it with the Whippet tank.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-9-YFw==.jpg Coffin Nails (30:gsicon:)

Complete the Campaign

Complete all 12 levels of the Campaign.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-j8ghA==.jpg Foot Slogger (10:gsicon:)

Earn General Rank on any level

You should get this during the first level. Survive all the waves without a single enemy entering your toy box and you'll get General rank at the end of the level.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-Rg0ig==.jpg Pickled Monkey (15:gsicon:)

Win a multiplayer match on every level

You can either get this locally, online, or a mixture of both.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-PjMGQ==.jpg Throw a Seven (15:gsicon:)

Complete any level in Elite mode

Keep playing the game until you unlock the Red Star (chemical weapons tower). Once you have it, load up level 1 (Langemarck (1914)). Place the Red Star down at the beginning of the choke point and a Vicker's Machine Gun (upgraded to level 2+) to the right of it.

Lastly, place down a Howitzer on the main build space. Remember that when playing on elite, your turrets won't autofire. Most of this level is infantry so the Red Star will be able to take out 90% of the units without much trouble.

Place some barbed wire along the path to slow down the infantry and make it much easier on yourself. When the cavalry comes along, use the machine gun post to pick them off before they get close. The final wave is just one tank that will get destroyed with just one hit from a howitzer.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-0Yh2A==.jpg Pip, Squeak & Wilfred (5:gsicon:)

Survive until Round 5

You won't be able to set your difficulty for this achievement, so be prepared to be overwhelmed. You start off on a level with an armoured rail tank firing at your position and just 20 points in your toy box. This tank will also occasionally stop of to send some armoured infantry at you. I have provided a "map" here to show you how I survived until wave 6. Firstly build the machine gun towers, followed by the chemical tower. After you have enough money, upgrade them all to level 2.

Once done, start building up your two cannon towers. When they're at level 2 is a good time to put down some mortar towers. Then when everything is in place, it's just a case of keeping them repaired. You can put down barbed wire around your fort to help slow down the enemies, but it'll more than likely just get blown up.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-WcobQ==.jpg Fire in the Hole (10:gsicon:)

Guide a shell to its destination

You can get this during the tutorial level. Build yourself a howitzer then manually take control of it. Then press and hold :rtbut: to go into shell camera. Once the shell hits the ground, the achievement should pop.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1218/-IfQ-g==.jpg Sweet Fancy Adams (20:gsicon:)

Earn General Rank on all levels

The easiest way to get this is by playing all levels on casual. Go through each level making sure not a single enemy makes it to your toy box. If one does, go back to it using the level select. You only need to get it on the first campaign, not campaign+

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1218/+SU7Bw==.jpg Brass Hat (25:gsicon:)

Complete Campaign+ and earn all Ration Tickets

To unlock Campaign+, first complete the regular campaign. Then you must obtain all 24 ration tickets (12 from each campaign). Follow this guide for all the ration tickets.

Edited by VinasErgoth

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming for someone else who has wrote guides for this site, it looks pretty good. Not to shabby for a day 1 release. The roadmap will be even better once you have some of the objectives more detailed such requirements and strategies for each ration portion.

Nice job.:woop:

Yeah this is where it gets tougher with the ration tickets. Most are straight down the line, esp if playing on casual. I'm missing three.

There are two that require 10X and 25X blast bonuses that I suspect are doable by spamming barbed wire to bunch up infantry for one big smackdown altho having tried this on the fly with my first playthrough, it might be necessary to sell some existing towers as they will kill too many before you are ready.

There is one requiring destruction of bonus targets on the zeppelin level but I didn't figure out what these targets were first time around. Clue me in please if you found them. I panicked when I saw the zep and forgot about the rest of the map but on casual it does go down like a lead balloon before long.

One general tactic I found very useful was to drive a tank onto a slight uphill slope (perch on a trench or stop as you come out of a crater) as the reticle range is very poor, esp with the whippet, thus giving a much better firing range and using them as stationary guns. They are ludicrously accurate and require very little target leading. Very effective against the big tank bosses. Oddly, enemy units rarely attack either tank and you are only at risk from mortars and howitzers which will light you up instantly anyway.

10X multiplier with Whippet tank.

Haven't tried this yet on this level but running over a large group of infantry gives you big X. Not sure if this qualifies as a blast multiplier or not. Worth a try maybe? It does seem very hard to get big multipliers with the cannon alone.

There are two that require 10X and 25X blast bonuses that I suspect are doable by spamming barbed wire to bunch up infantry for one big smackdown altho having tried this on the fly with my first playthrough, it might be necessary to sell some existing towers as they will kill too many before you are ready.

The 10x I believe you are required to get with the Whippet Tank. There are plenty of times on this level that enemies will bunch together and run toward your toy box. Just fire a nice clean shot in the middle of them all.

The 25x I just got. On the far right handside, build an 18 Pounder, and fully upgrade it to Mother. Wait until there's an infantry spawn on the far right (usually 5-6 waves in). Take control of the gun and wait for the first couple of infantry to reach the foot of the bridge then fire your shot. It should land in the middle of a lot of them giving you over 25x blast multiplier.

There is one requiring destruction of bonus targets on the zeppelin level but I didn't figure out what these targets were first time around. Clue me in please if you found them. I panicked when I saw the zep and forgot about the rest of the map but on casual it does go down like a lead balloon before long.

The targets you speak of are on the edges of the map. 3 on each side with several targets on them. Use the bi-plane between waves to shoot all the targets on each side for this ration ticket.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers geezer.

Will have a crack at these tomorrow. I must have been unlucky with the whippet cos i drove it right up where they spawned and still only got 3X several times.

Not looking forward to getting general rank on all levels after seeing the last few where they start you off toe to toe with other emplacements.

Damn you fritz! Although I do like their helmets, impractical as they may be...

how do you get the avatar awards anyone know?
The first one (the gas mask) is awarded for buying the game, while the second (german helmet; pickelhause) is awarded for finishing the campaign.

nice road map, I find these maps very helpful, thanks for the effort but it would take someone special to get 200 points in 5 hours.
Thank you. I made a rough estimate as at the time of posting, no one had gotten the 200. Now that digitalink has, he can confirm exactly how long it took him. :)

Hey, you should also add that for the ration ticket where you need to use just your tri plane, put the difficulty on elite.

Sounds crazy right? But since it only lets you man one thing at a time anyway, it makes no difference. The good thing is instead of the 30 limit casual has it, is put up to 40 so it adds a little more room for error.

Hey, you should also add that for the ration ticket where you need to use just your tri plane, put the difficulty on elite.

Sounds crazy right? But since it only lets you man one thing at a time anyway, it makes no difference. The good thing is instead of the 30 limit casual has it, is put up to 40 so it adds a little more room for error.

Does elite not add extra health to the enemy units? I just assumed it did. Nice find then.

Does elite not add extra health to the enemy units? I just assumed it did. Nice find then.

From what I can tell from the few levels I beat it on no.

What makes it hard is that you manually have to control everything. You have no AI support.

Ouch I didn't even realize you only needed the ration tickets for the campaign+ and ended up getting them all =(

For level three, You need to upgrade your howitzer to a level 3. The gun will be called Big Bertha.

Only make the one, so your AI teammates don't kill the tanks.

I placed mine towards the middle of the field put aimed it towards my toy box.

Put some barbed wire down near the one defense near your toy box. It slows the infantry up which packs the tanks up who are now in a straight line going towards your toy box.

Then do a follow through shot (when you guide the shell) and try to hit in between two tanks, and you shot get it.

For level 12+ the five platinum objects are just like the gold blocks you need to get. My friend is determined to find my last gold block so I can't look at the map to give detailed descriptions of their locations yet.

One however is located directly beneath your sniper tower.

PS: anyone who can help me find the gold block on level 2+ has my undivided attention for any questions they have lol. i'm desperate and my eyes are going to bleed.