Caution about Fire Keeper Soul

eynotie

I did not find this anywhere else. If it's already posted, my apologies.

Mildly spoilerish content follows.

Do yourself a favor, and, if you happen to get a Fire Keeper Soul, don't go into the item menu and select "USE." It's a good item, and you need to take it back to a NPC near your first bonfire after the tutorial section. They will then reinforce your Estus Flasks for more health regen. I selected "USE" instead of bringing it back to the NPC. It wastes the item. No reinforced health. Ugh. Almost started over, but I hear there are other Fire Keeper Souls around. Not many though. Hope I spare someone my trouble.

I've found 3 so far, the basic first one, and here are the other two:

1) New Londo Ruins, just after you come across the first two ghosts, before you head up the stairs, there'll be a little broken archway sitting in the water. Be careful, as once you go through the archway you get ambushed by ghosts and you'll be on a very narrow platform (if you go left or right at all you'll fall off and die). You can tell this by looking down in the water and not seeing an immediate ground. Make sure you have a transient curse active and are prepared.

2) Blighttown, as you're climbing down from Valley of the Drakes/climbing up from the swamp and the waterwheel, there'll be a path to the right that leads into a little sewer system-y area. Fire Keeper's Soul is located in one of the alcoves on the bottom of the area. Be careful, there'll be guys who shoot you with poison darts and toxic you, so have the toxic (stronger than poison) cure items. There are also hellhounds.

Ah thanks, are those sold anywhere? I know I have one stocked but would be great to pick up a few more for those lovely dark souls "accidents".

They are sold by the sewer merchant. She's passed that locked door where you first fight the rat (just turn around after killing the rat and run straight down until you reach the door - that's the one). I believe they are 2k for two, though? Might be 2k for one. I'm not at a point in my game to check for you. Sorry.

Alternatively, if you would rather save up your souls, the ghosts will occasionally drop them. I think there's a few more places to loot them as you go on into that area too.

I'd recommend you wait till a somewhat higher level. Around the point the skeletons aren't so bad. The ghosts get really hard and can ambush you through walls, so it's a pretty risky move to try and complete that area early on. I know I waited for a while.

you also get one from killing the chaos witch. : 3 she's the leader of the Chaos Servant Covenant.

But keep in mind, in killing her, it prevents you from accessing the Covenant and the Pyromancer spells *unless you kill her after the fact like I did* ;P

I've found 3 so far, the basic first one, and here are the other two:

1) New Londo Ruins, just after you come across the first two ghosts, before you head up the stairs, there'll be a little broken archway sitting in the water. Be careful, as once you go through the archway you get ambushed by ghosts and you'll be on a very narrow platform (if you go left or right at all you'll fall off and die). You can tell this by looking down in the water and not seeing an immediate ground. Make sure you have a transient curse active and are prepared.

2) Blighttown, as you're climbing down from Valley of the Drakes/climbing up from the swamp and the waterwheel, there'll be a path to the right that leads into a little sewer system-y area. Fire Keeper's Soul is located in one of the alcoves on the bottom of the area. Be careful, there'll be guys who shoot you with poison darts and toxic you, so have the toxic (stronger than poison) cure items. There are also hellhounds.

Where is the "basic" one located?

To buy the thing from the sewer merchant is 4k i believe, and you can also hit the ghosts WITHOUT using one if you managed to find 'Jagged ghost blade'. Think i'll have to take a stroll down here now, kept getting killed horribly last time...anybody know if there is anything worth venturing into these ruins for? i tried running through last time and just found a guy that sells curse removers

you also get one from killing the chaos witch. : 3 she's the leader of the Chaos Servant Covenant.

But keep in mind, in killing her, it prevents you from accessing the Covenant and the Pyromancer spells *unless you kill her after the fact like I did* ;P

Going to kill her and loot dat shit, because that covenant doesn't concern me :p

I'll join her clubhouse when I'm playing this on NG+

Where is the "basic" one located?

The church where the first bell you ring is. Its on the bottom floor in the back guarded by a Black Knight with a giant tower shield and a club. He is slow and easy to defeat.

You can get one even faster right at the beginning though, go below the bonfire, all the way down to the elevator take a left once out there towards the ruins. You can run past the ghosts quick enough to grab the one thats out there, if you are quick enough and lucky...you can even run back past them and escape....but even if you dont, it is so early off dying there just to grab that item is worth it(no need to recover your body)

the differences are pretty big. mine has been full healing me (I don't have a lot of extra vit, in fact I think I got 2 past the starting point through the whole game.) since flask+3. I'm up to +4 atm. I think I'm missing one of the blightown ones too.

You get one for killing the keeper in anor londo. I killed the darkmoon covenant boss and the fire keeper auto attacked me for it and dropped a fire keeper soul. Unless there is a fourth place to upgrade my flask I'm holding off on killing the chaos witch for the time being.

Talking about the Ghosts, you should equip the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, and have as much humanity as possible. It'll increase your drop rate a lot, so you can grab the ghost blade and not have to constantly be cursed.